Are Pears healthy?

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered Abuser
    myCATpowerlifts's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Inner Space
    Posts
    7,403
    Rep Points
    177640862

    Are Pears healthy?






    Are they? I know they are mostly sugar, like most fruits, but I'm not interested in that.
    I just want to know if they are healthy.
    I know it's a strange question, but any general help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    musclepump's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America! Fuck yeah!
    Posts
    6,671
    Rep Points
    9223879

    Compared to a bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms, you betcha.
    Let's all join together and SPEAK ENGLISH IN AMERICA.


  3. #3
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Are they? I know they are mostly sugar, like most fruits, but I'm not interested in that.
    I just want to know if they are healthy.
    I know it's a strange question, but any general help is appreciated.


    Pears are healthy when eaten sensibly in combination with a good diet...

  4. #4
    Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER
    P-funk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    31,713
    Rep Points
    15139848

    pears taste so good in cottage cheese.
    Optimum Sports Performance

    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

  5. #5
    Registered User
    XcelKrush's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach Profession: Professional Baller Hair-color: Medium Brown Height: 5 foot 11 inches EyeColor: Blue-Green
    Posts
    434
    Rep Points
    10

    Pears, like everything else, cause cancer.

    But, yes they are good for you. My neighbor replaced wine with pears after she got breast cancer. And lost alot of weight and her overall health improved alot. But I guess anything's an improvement over wine.
    Age-16
    Weight-164
    BF %-10<_<12
    National*Professional*Paintball-Players*League Novice Division.

  6. #6
    Registered Abuser
    myCATpowerlifts's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Inner Space
    Posts
    7,403
    Rep Points
    177640862

    Quote Originally Posted by musclepump
    Compared to a bag of Peanut Butter M&Ms, you betcha.
    I guess it's a good thing that I've always hated the taste of chocolate.


    Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

    I was wondering if someone could tell me which fruits are the healthiest, or are the best to eat on a cut.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    musclepump's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America! Fuck yeah!
    Posts
    6,671
    Rep Points
    9223879

    Because of the natural sugars, fruits generally aren't prescribed for a cut.
    Let's all join together and SPEAK ENGLISH IN AMERICA.


  8. #8
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    19251541

    Quote Originally Posted by XcelKrush
    My neighbor replaced wine with pears after she got breast cancer.
    What the hell.. how come someone reaches this conclusion? "Yeah alright, I am tired of being an alcoholic, let´s try pears.." didn´t they use to go for cocaine as a natural evolution?

  9. #9
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    I guess it's a good thing that I've always hated the taste of chocolate.


    Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

    I was wondering if someone could tell me which fruits are the healthiest, or are the best to eat on a cut.
    In my opnion fruit is fine when trying to lose weight. Some people cut it out from pre-contest diets, but there is no need to cut it out if you are not competing in a few weeks.

    Fruit is actually beneficial when trying to lose weight. It is relatively low in calories and packed with fibre and water, meaning it fills you up easily. It also acts to trigger a 'fed' state in the body - meaning you suffer less of a metabolic slow down to dieting.

    Generally, the higher fibre fruits like berries, apples and pears are the ones suggested for cutting. But other things like citrus (grapefruit, oranges), and even bananas (around workouts) can be included in limited amounts if your calories remain in check.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    XcelKrush's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Huntington Beach Profession: Professional Baller Hair-color: Medium Brown Height: 5 foot 11 inches EyeColor: Blue-Green
    Posts
    434
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    What the hell.. how come someone reaches this conclusion? "Yeah alright, I am tired of being an alcoholic, let´s try pears.." didn´t they use to go for cocaine as a natural evolution?
    Hence the --->
    Age-16
    Weight-164
    BF %-10<_<12
    National*Professional*Paintball-Players*League Novice Division.

  11. #11
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    19251541


  12. #12
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    27,159
    Rep Points
    982543932

    MMMMMM, Pear Wine.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  13. #13
    Registered Abuser
    myCATpowerlifts's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Inner Space
    Posts
    7,403
    Rep Points
    177640862

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    In my opnion fruit is fine when trying to lose weight. Some people cut it out from pre-contest diets, but there is no need to cut it out if you are not competing in a few weeks.

    Fruit is actually beneficial when trying to lose weight. It is relatively low in calories and packed with fibre and water, meaning it fills you up easily. It also acts to trigger a 'fed' state in the body - meaning you suffer less of a metabolic slow down to dieting.

    Generally, the higher fibre fruits like berries, apples and pears are the ones suggested for cutting. But other things like citrus (grapefruit, oranges), and even bananas (around workouts) can be included in limited amounts if your calories remain in check.

    Ok thank you for all your help.
    The friends I hang out with all workout/exercise and maintain a pretty healthy diet.
    What you said about the bananna thing worried me though...I eat 1-2 a day as well as a couple of my friends, because they are so convenient as a quick snack.

  14. #14
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Ok thank you for all your help.
    The friends I hang out with all workout/exercise and maintain a pretty healthy diet.
    What you said about the bananna thing worried me though...I eat 1-2 a day as well as a couple of my friends, because they are so convenient as a quick snack.
    Look - really, in all seriousness you CAN just eat the damn banana's!! Don't worry about it! You are young and active. You are also not a few weeks away from competing in a contest! So, as long as you:
    1. combine it with a protein
    2. keep calories in check
    3. are not forgoing protein or essential fatty acids to fit the bananas in
    4. are not ONLY eating bananas

    then they will really not do you any harm.

  15. #15
    Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER
    P-funk's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    31,713
    Rep Points
    15139848

    why is everyone worried about banana's? I friggin love them. I eat them when I am not dieting.
    Optimum Sports Performance

    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

  16. #16
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185






    Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    why is everyone worried about banana's? I friggin love them. I eat them when I am not dieting.
    Beats me??

    I keep trying to say that, unless they are in the last few weeks of a competition preperation, then don't worry about it - but everyone keeps beating me down with there "banana's are devil spawn" banners...!!

Similar Threads

  1. This can't be healthy
    By cg89 in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 04:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 01:30 AM
  4. Healthy? Maybe not..
    By DaMayor in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 11:50 PM
  5. Pears
    By Dynghetti in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 07:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->