Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

diet calculations ?

Rep Points

diet calculations ?

I weigh about 178 pounds and 6'0 ft tall. I calculated my calories with the harris-bennedict formula. it says i need 2278 calories to mantain my weight and if i drop 500 to lose some weight i need about 1778 calories. Is this enough calories to lose weight? By the way, im one of those skinny fat guys. I have medium gut. ANy input would be helpful.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorpheus
    I weigh about 178 pounds and 6'0 ft tall. I calculated my calories with the harris-bennedict formula. it says i need 2278 calories to mantain my weight and if i drop 500 to lose some weight i need about 1778 calories. Is this enough calories to lose weight? By the way, im one of those skinny fat guys. I have medium gut. ANy input would be helpful.
    HB formula is a poor choice in finding out your calorie requirements.
    1. The formula is flawed - the tests where done about 100 yrs ago and the conditions where less than ideal - so there is generally an opinion that they can grossly over-estimate calorie requirements.

2. They do not take into account your lean mass... They only base it on height, weight and age. Fat is rather lazy - it doesn't need a lot of calories to maintain itself. So, if you calculate your metabolic rate of TOTAL weight - you are basically feeding your fat cells. You need to find out how much of you is lean mass and how much is 'fat mass' and work our your requirements from that.

It also looks like you forgot the second stage of the calculations - after you use these 'basal rate' formulae you then have to go on to calculate your requirements when you factor in things like exercise and activities of daily living.

What is a lot more effective in calculating your requirements is to get your BF% tested (eg: calipers, www.getdunked.com or, less accurately, with BIA scales or sites like www.mybodycomp.com ) and then use this to calculate your metabolic rate with more accurate formulae (again, not the HB equation - there are more accurate ones available)

You can also do it the 'simple' way in that you:
    1/ weigh & mesure yourself
    2/ Eat a set calorie intake for ~2 weeks
    3/ Re-weigh & re-measure yourself

If things did not change - you probably found your maintainence calories so you then simply decrease this by ~10% and you have the calorie intake you need to start losing weight....

You shouldn't just decrease the figure by 500 cals/day - you have to take into consideration how much you are eating to start with (eg: if you maintainence is 2000 cals then 500 cals is a great % of this total and would probably result in metabolic meltdown - not to mention you would be cranky, starving and probably cheat very quickly... But, for someonw who maintains on 6000 cals/day then 500 cals is not much - and would be more appropriate).

BUT - if you are skinny fat, then I would be careful about just trying to lose weight - you will end up just skinny... You might want to look into eating enough (and training correctly) so you can gain some lean mass - which, in turn, will lower your BF% and get you looking more respectable.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh

It also looks like you forgot the second stage of the calculations - after you use these 'basal rate' formulae you then have to go on to calculate your requirements when you factor in things like exercise and activities of daily living.
    I did calculate that!