25% Off Black Friday Sale

Labeling people

Thread: Labeling people

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Labeling people

If a person of a different nationality possess a unique characteristic, talent, physical attribute, etc, why can't they simply be complimented as a person?

Rather than the typical: "He's fast because he's black", "He's big...for an Asian guy" or "He can jump...for a white guy."

Why do people feel the need to put labels on others when there shouldn't be any relevancy at all?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The people that put labels on others feel that humanity is filled with different people. Which it is but they use it to address differences in others in a negative way . For some reason they think they're exceptional to the human race and are allowed to step back and make comments like that. When humans decide to start thinking of humanity as whole, great things will happen.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think it's an old survival instinct to lump something into a larger category. Like, hey I ate a berry that was green once and it made me vomit so maybe I shouldn't eat any green berries. Someone from that cave stole my mammoth shawl so they must all be thieves, etc... etc...
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Esprit de Corps
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So, would being called a "Hot Asian Tranny" be considered a racist lable or would you prefer to just be called a "Hot Tranny"?

Serously though, I've no idea why people feel the need to "label" others. Perhaps people think it offers some sort of additional emphasis or credibility to thier statement?
    NEVER write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ASS!!

I can run faster mad than you can scared

"All right brain... I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer" ~ Homer Simpson

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Labels are limiting.

Using the verb "to be," is also limiting in defining, or characterizing people.

For example, someone might say "He is a nut."
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Labels are useful to a point... its when you take the labeling too far that it turns negative.

As far as stereotypes go, perhaps its a mixture of psychologically dealing with all the multitude of variations upon this planet, and on the other side the human desire to be different and "be better" than everyone else. I think we are all born with that in us.. only through training and being civilized is that taken out and we are given the tools in which to deal with society on an acceptable level.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yeah, I know all about this one.. Being swedish and all, people just expect me to take my clothes off right away. At least give me dinner first

Ronnie Coleman RULES!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny
    Yeah, I know all about this one.. Being swedish and all, people just expect me to take my clothes off right away. At least give me dinner first
    Ok, Foremanrules was right, you are a cool girl.
    ]

If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got.

12-12-2002, 07:24 PM Robert DiMaggio
    just think if we deleted the two word only thread, the post whore thread, etc., then their post counts would drop to about half!

High Intensity Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Society as a whole labels people!!!
    "I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

"For NOTHING is impossible with GOD" - Luke 1:37

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Ha! It's like labelling all French people as this or that...........

I'm a Brit who lives in France, and I in everyday life, get shoved under the general racial catagory of 'English' by many French. I am actually half German, and have a southern Irish (very catholic)surname--{but I'm not Catholic} (My great grandfather on the 'English ' side came over from Ireland to Liverpool a long time ago......)

When I lived in the USA for 5 months (in 1999) people kept on thinking I was Australian- the problem of some Americans (or most) not making out the difference between a British or Australian accent.

Nick

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Viva la France.
    Vous comprenez la langue française?
    Ich sehe Ihr halbes Deutsches

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Danke Mino lee ja ich kann schon deutsch sprechen. (Aber meine grammatik ist grausam!!!)
    Oui eh je parle un peu du français aussi- mais ne pas tres bien..........(helps to have a french keyboard for the 'ç'!!!!!!)

Listen I'm not into saying 'viva le france', this lot have their disadvantages, as do any other 'nationality'. Just try and get to know the best people in whatever country you are in, 'cause there are always some.........

Nick

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

And that applies to ANY country on this planet.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nick+
    Danke Mino lee ja ich kann schon deutsch sprechen. (Aber meine grammatik ist grausam!!!)
    Oui eh je parle un peu du français aussi- mais ne pas tres bien..........(helps to have a french keyboard for the 'ç'!!!!!!)

Listen I'm not into saying 'viva le france', this lot have their disadvantages, as do any other 'nationality'. Just try and get to know the best people in whatever country you are in, 'cause there are always some.........

Nick
    I agree with you 100 %

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

cool!