Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Fruits

Thread: Fruits

Rep Points

Fruits

Can I eat fruits (natural, not canned) at anytime I want?

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Watch the more sugary ones

Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!

is still around...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaDTX
    Can I eat fruits (natural, not canned) at anytime I want?
    It's a free country. I don't see why not.

But seriously - it depends on what you're working toward. Some people will say if you're dieting for contest, NO! no fruits! Too much sugar! Some people will say just stay away from the fruits with more sugar (like bananas, pineapples, etc.)... Or you'll be advised to cut out the fruits when you get close to the day of competition...

To me, honestly they are a life saver, especially apples, strawberries and grapefruits. I have a sweet tooth and having this around helps me through some miserable cravings once in a while.

A cup of berries or a granny smith apple also makes a nice finish/dessert for a "diet" meal, or as part of my breakfast oatmeal (if you're counting macros, make sure to account for those carbs as well).

I certainly don't agree with people who don't eat fruits at all because of the sugar. What a f*cked up world we are in when we have to worry about enjoying even a piece of fruit in order to stay in shape and be healthy!

Just use common sense and moderation. I have yet to find a calorie-free variety of any fruit!

Rep Points

I dont compete so I can eat them. Plus, thats the only form of sugar I would get . . i think? I dont eat candy etc. I dont drink cokes either or juices. thanks guys!

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wow GG blew that thread out

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GoalGetter
    It's a free country. I don't see why not.

But seriously - it depends on what you're working toward. Some people will say if you're dieting for contest, NO! no fruits! Too much sugar! Some people will say just stay away from the fruits with more sugar (like bananas, pineapples, etc.)... Or you'll be advised to cut out the fruits when you get close to the day of competition...

To me, honestly they are a life saver, especially apples, strawberries and grapefruits. I have a sweet tooth and having this around helps me through some miserable cravings once in a while.

A cup of berries or a granny smith apple also makes a nice finish/dessert for a "diet" meal, or as part of my breakfast oatmeal (if you're counting macros, make sure to account for those carbs as well).

I certainly don't agree with people who don't eat fruits at all because of the sugar. What a f*cked up world we are in when we have to worry about enjoying even a piece of fruit in order to stay in shape and be healthy!

Just use common sense and moderation. I have yet to find a calorie-free variety of any fruit!

Well said!

is still around...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey Man
    Wow GG blew that thread out
    Hehehe.. i didn't mean to "blow it out!" haha!

It's just that I don't want some people who are just looking to eat a little healthier to go through the trauma I went through when I started reading on these forums about how I should avoid fruit because it has sugar and yadda yadda yadda...

And well, I was on a different path, since i was dieting for comp at the time, I can see how i had to be a little strict but then other people who are not going to compete, read snippets of advice and think that all their lives they've been wrong and can never eat a piece of fruit again because it will go straight to their hips.

I seriously spent a great deal of time agonizing over not being able to eat pineapples (my favorite fruit) and learning to adjust to a life without fruit just because i misunderstood some advice on here.

And some folks with good intentions come on and give advice about NOT eating fruit as if EVERYONE is dieting toward the same goals. Some people just want to learn to make healthier choices. That's all

Rep Points

I cant believe people are so anal that they cut out fruits cutting and bulking just because of sugar. we sure live in a stange world..a piece of fruit contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. all the water in a nice apple fills me up as well.

Nor*Cal
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

All berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries), apples, peaches, grapefruit, etc. are all excellent choices of fruit.

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I love fruit, and it is one of my only sources of daily carbs

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away.

Great post GG, I also felt guilty about eating fruits but then I realized I am not going to compete.

Rep Points

i <3 Bananas

is still around...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away.

Great post GG, I also felt guilty about eating fruits but then I realized I am not going to compete.
    Thanks

is still around...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tannywild
    i <3 Bananas
    Hahahaha! Thank goodness i don't like bananas, that is one sugary fruit i'll never have to worry about.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I eat apples, berries and grapefruit too Sometimes an orange as a treat

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Since when have fruit sugars been fattening????????

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nick+
    Since forever

Esprit de Corps
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nick+
    And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. ~ Genesis 1:11
    NEVER write a check with your mouth that you can't cash with your ASS!!

I can run faster mad than you can scared

"All right brain... I don't like you and you don't like me. So let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer" ~ Homer Simpson

Tom_B

Rep Points

The sugar in fruits isn't fattening .. (well I guess they would be if you went OVERBOARD on them) , they do alot of good , rather than harm.
    Here's something of Emma's I have bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma-leigh
    I agree with jodi - one to two servings a day is fine. Some people (if they are very active) can have a little more (and will need a little more) to help maintain blood glucose in the face of energy output. Fruit is very healthy for you - it is high in vitamins, minerals, fibre, phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, water. It is also relatively low in calories, helps fill you up and keep you satisfied and helps to keep your body in a 'fed' state - which helps maintain your metabolism in the face of calorie restriction and helps promote anabolism in general!

Despite what people believe - fruit is also not that high in fructose (ranges from 3g to 10g per peice of fruit, depending on what it is) and this is not going to present you with any problems in terms of 'overflowing' your liver glycogen stores. You would have to eat up around 50-70g of fructose a day before you present any significant challange to your liver capacity. That means something in the range of 10 to 15 large peices of fruit is one sitting.

Additionally, if your body requires glucose (eg: if your muscles require glucose and they are taking glucose from the blood and therefore your total body glucose is LOW - meaning your BRAIN has less glucose coming in) the fructose WILL NOT fill your liver stores. It is converted to glucose in and DIRECTLY released into the blood for your muscles and major organs. If it didn't do this you would get hypoglycaemia at the drop of a hat.

Your body is smarter than this!