NapsGear.net

help for a fatty!

Rep Points

help for a fatty!

hi, im trying to shred the fat around my waist, while also trying to get stronger and im a bit confused as to whats the best approach training wise. my diet is pretty clean but im a bit overwhelmed with regards to the info about training.

im a bit confused as to what type of training would be best for me? - cardio, caqrdio & weights, heavy weights, low reps, high reps e.t.c.

there seems to be a lot of contradicting info e.g - cardio being counter productive for muscle building and im left a bit confussed. i guess i just want some reasurrance that im not wasting my time with my current reigime.

im 25 years old,
    weight 13stone
    height 5.10

i do a 2 day split 3 sets of 10 of a weight im just able to lift 10 times-

i workout at a home gym so its mainly free weight work plus i have a stepping machine and rowing machine

workout A:
    UPPER BODY 3 sets of 10 reps of everything

Bench Press
    Flyes
    Shrugs
    Bent Over Dumbell Rows
    Barbell Rows
    Lateral Raises
    Front Raises
    Dumbell Curls or Barbell Curls
    Concentration Curls
    Tricep Extension

workout B: again 3 sets of 10 reps that i can just about lift 10 times
    LOWER BODY

Rowing (Warm Up)
    Squats
    Straight Back Straigh Leg Deadlift (i think thats what its called!)
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls

I also play 5 a side football (soccer to you americans!) for 1 hour once or twice a week and go swimming on a weekend for about an hour and a half but its more of a relaxing thing rather than full-on lenghths!

im taking protein, creatine and sida cordifolia supplements

any advice would be great - iv seen some muscle size gains but im a bit worried that i might not be doing the right things to get rid of my belly!

i would be so gratefull for any advice

(forgot to say - i lift weights 6 times a week - 3 of each workout)

thank you
    gaz

Food Is Good!

Rep Points

If you are mostly concerned about losing the belly, I'd say you need to focus more on your diet. A pretty clean diet is probably not as clean as it needs to be for optimizing fat loss. Your workouts look fine, I'm sure someone else will comment more on that. My only comments would be maybe to split your upper body workout into two days, something like Back/Bis on one day and Chest/Shoulders/Tris on another day. That looks like an aweful lot to do on one day. Also, most people lift between 3 - 5 days a week. 6 days sounds like too much. Your body does need to rest, that's when you grow. You're getting cardio from soccer and swimming. Getting your diet in check will be key to your success in losing fat.
    Shannon

There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
    Morpheus - The Matrix

In the squat rack

Rep Points

30 sets per workout to failure times 3 workouts? Overtraining is an understatement on workout A. B is good for a leg workout (where's the calves?), but doing this 3x a week is also overtraining. If you like this routine, then Id say rest every other day and your routine will cycle. Id also suggest moving a bodypart from A to B (shoulders or back). Your above routine looks extremely lobsided.

Rep Points

thanks for the advice, i think ill try shifting some exercises from workout A to B. (as you can probably guess - workout A takes almost twice as long so it makes sense!!!) think im going to have to look a bit closer at my diet too.

i get my calves worked doing the leg curls, seen some decent gains too.

my thinking when doing 3 workouts each of A and B a week were that i would be burning more calories and i really enjoy my time on my own every day! - but ill take that on board, i didnt think i was overtraining as i dont feel REALLY tired ever.

ill try cut back to 2 workouts of each a week and see how we go!

thanks again

Rep Points

I say more cardio there... if you want to gain muscle... people with more body weight are lucky as they can turn the at into muscle.. i think you need to spread your workout more.. start cycling to the gym too!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Edmorgan
    I say more cardio there... if you want to gain muscle... people with more body weight are lucky as they can turn the at into muscle.. i think you need to spread your workout more.. start cycling to the gym too!
    people with more body weight are lucky as they can turn the at into muscle

Where in the hell did you come up with that, turn fat into muscle. If that were true everyone would want to get fat first.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Edmorgan
    I had no idea that myth was still around.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

the unbanned

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    I had no idea that myth was still around.
    this is why I keep coming back here!! its shit like this that entertains me!!!

Yo, Gaz, let the questions fly, we have alot of work to do!!!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If you want to lose weight fix your diet. Six times a week is too much, I would cut that down to four. Change up the rep range and sets some too. Your lower body work out seems good, but your upper body has to much stuff.

Here is my suggestion for upper body
    Bench Press
    Flyes
    skull crushers
    Barbell Rows
    military press
    Dumbell Curls or Barbell Curls

Rep Points

thanks people, im still a bit confused though, taking on board what you've all said does this sound ok?

workout A

bench press 3 x20
    flyes 3x20
    barbell rows 3x20
    barbell/dumbell curl 3x20
    concentration curl 3x20
    tricep extension 3x20

workout B
    squats 3x20
    straight back straight arm deadlift 3x20
    leg extension 3x20
    leg curl 3x20
    lateral raise 3x20
    front raise 3x20

both workout routines performed twice a week

also running maybe 2 or 3 times a week - how long?

i really appreciate your help!

thanks!

Rep Points

getting there.. do 12 reps. 12-15. and realize that its not lifting weights that will get you lean.. lifting weights is about 1/8th of it. doing cardo is about 1/4 of it. the rest is eating right. so basically, id alternate lifting days with cardio days and do a bit of cardio 6 or so hours before you lift even on lifting days. this will shock your body. i wouldnt run, unless youre running sprints. running is really tough on your body. try aerobic rowing or cycling.. in a perfect world, you would do for example sprint 100 yards, walk/jog 100 yards, and alternate between sprinting and walking untill youre too tired to even get back to your car/house.

thats longwinded... basically you need to focus on eating right. count your calories. eat 2000-2500 a day. no sugar, low fat.
    then do cardio maybe (this is controversial) 7 days a week for 1 week to kickstart your body, and then cut back to 3-4 times a week. do your cardio in the mornings (this is also controversial) before you eat.
    you will loose lots of weight fast

edit : i did exactly what i said up there after my last bulking cycle where i got up to about 16 percent bodyfat (a flabby four-pack stomach).. 1 month later, i already could see all my abs again.

be persistant, eat right, train hard. and in that order.

Rep Points

thanks dude,

maybe something like this ok then?

i like running so ill do some sprint-jog-walk stuff, i have a rowing machine to so ill use that more.

ill have to do what i can around work etc. ( i also play 5 a side soccer on fridays and swimm saturdays so theyr'e going to have to stay in the routine am afraid!)

see what you think:

MON - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Workout A

TUE - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Workout B

WED - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Soccer/Swimming

THU - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Workout A

FRI - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Soccer

SAT - AM- Swimming

SUN - AM- 30mins sprint/jog/walk
    PM- Workout B

ill do 3 sets of 12-15 of the two workouts?

workout A
    bench press
    flyes
    barbell rows
    barbell/dumbell curl
    concentration curl
    tricep extension

workout B
    squats
    straight back straight arm deadlift
    leg extension
    leg curl
    lateral raise
    front raise

ill also do some research into my diet, as i said before its pretty clean but probably not good enough!

thanks a lot everyone!
    any more suggestions would be good

Rep Points

that looks really good. just make sure that after about a week you cut the cardio down a bit, so you dont injur yourself.

on work out A, try to do some pullups too, maybe.

Rep Points

just thought should i be doing ab work? ill try to get some pull ups in too, i have a pull up bar. thanks everyone! ill get there in the end and im going to enjoy the journey!!!!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

you sound pumped and thats great, just kind of ease into it. it takes a lot of work and if you get burnt out too fast, it wont be fun. thats why like 95% of americans stop dieting and exercising after like 1 month.

dont be a statistic, make it a lifestyle.

get your diet posted asap.

1 last thing, more isnt always better. be careful not to overtrain or you will go no where fast.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof1
    you sound pumped and thats great, just kind of ease into it. it takes a lot of work and if you get burnt out too fast, it wont be fun. thats why like 95% of americans stop dieting and exercising after like 1 month.

dont be a statistic, make it a lifestyle.

get your diet posted asap.

1 last thing, more isnt always better. be careful not to overtrain or you will go no where fast.
    ya.. i see it as a 1 month hurdle. if you can get someone to train consistantly for over 1 month, then chances are they will get sucked into/addicted because it quickly becomes a stress reducer.

Rep Points

im not american by the way but yeah i know what you mean. iv always been into soccer and iv lifted weights a few times a week for over a year (dodgy routines and in tensity though to be honest!) but i want to get serious now after iv had a few injuries and am fully fit.

ill get through a month coz i am used to training but i want to step it up and loose that gut. ill get my diet up A.S.A.P - ill work out the kcals and grams of stuff.

once again - thanks everyone for the help and encouragement im really gratefull!