25% Off Black Friday Sale

Protein / Fat / Carb Combo

Rep Points

Protein / Fat / Carb Combo

Is this b/s? I'm cutting down to 6-7% bf, and everytime I combine P/F/C, I feel kinda guilty, but I don't know why.

I've read on some forums you should either have F/P or C/P, but never C/F. Whats the reasoning? Is this just a myth?

For example I just had

5 oz grilled chicken (30-35g protein)
    3/4 cup brown rice (30g carbs)
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15g good fat)

Ths ok as a staple meal?

Also I usually have this shake as a meal sometimes...

1 cup milk
    1 scoop ON
    1 tbsp Natty PB

Rep Points

your not having c/f your having p/c/f ... dont believe everything you hear. Balanced nutrition is the way to go. That berardi stuff is nonsense.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by r0dxx
    Is this b/s? I'm cutting down to 6-7% bf, and everytime I combine P/F/C, I feel kinda guilty, but I don't know why.

I've read on some forums you should either have F/P or C/P, but never C/F. Whats the reasoning? Is this just a myth?
    Firstly - not combining all three macronutrients in the one meal is a myth. A horrible, horrible myth that will not die!! (thanks Berardi! ).

It is not going to 'make you fat' or cause you to not lose weight or anything of the sort. You actually want most of your meals to be a good combination of protein, healthy fats and low GI, high fibre carbs (main exceptions are pre and post workout - when you want protein and carbs only - and those who are on diets such as carb cycling etc...).

Sure - eating highly refined carbs (in high quanities) in combination with saturated or trans fats (also in high quantities) is going to have a negative concequence - not only because of the excessive calorie intake but because both of these things can decrease insulin sensitivity (as well as having nasty health concequences)... But it is all relative - and even small amounts of these things in combination are not going to do you a lot of harm if your overall calorie intake is less than what you need - and as long as you are getting your required protein and essential fats.

So if you are making good food choices and balancing your calorie input and output then you really do not need to worry.

But the reason why you do not see just c/f meals is because you should aim to get protein in every meal.

For example I just had

5 oz grilled chicken (30-35g protein)
    3/4 cup brown rice (30g carbs)
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15g good fat)

Ths ok as a staple meal?

Also I usually have this shake as a meal sometimes...

1 cup milk
    1 scoop ON
    1 tbsp Natty PB

These are great meals (although the carbs are lowish - I would add some fruit to both the meals eg: an apple to the first and some berries to the shake).

Rep Points

Emma-Leigh, thank you for your information. rodxx has asked two very good questions on two recent threads, and you have done a lot to clear up some misconceptions the he and many others of us are having. I am not too concerned with bodyfat percentage at this time, as I am trying to bulk over the next several months, but I am incredibly wary of the myths that pervade bodybuilding nowadays, especially with all of this South Beach and Atkins stuff. Its overwhelming if you let it be, but so much of it is common sense. I allowed myself, after injury, to justify too many trips to Arby's and too many frozen pizzas, which are obvious culprits to my lowered energy levels and increased bodyfat. Now that i am back on track, these posts really help to clear up a lot of questions that I am encountering. Thanks for the input.

Rep Points

Ya Emma > Bodybuilding.com

Don't worry I have a few more questions tommorow