Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Healthy Liquids

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Healthy Liquids

  1. #1
    OBSESSED WITH DEFINITION
    OMNIFEX's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    232270

    Question Healthy Liquids

    Quick question.

    If I drink only water, and, regular milk (I'm not lactose intollerant) will that
    be the healthest way to go in terms of liquid?

    I figured I can get vitmain C from Oranges, and, Lemon when having tea
    in the mornings.
    OMNIFEX
    The More Definition The Better!

  2. #2
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by OMNIFEX
    Quick question.

    If I drink only water, and, regular milk (I'm not lactose intollerant) will that
    be the healthest way to go in terms of liquid?

    I figured I can get vitmain C from Oranges, and, Lemon when having tea
    in the mornings.
    Water is certainly the best thing to drink. Skim milk is fine too (as long as you include it in your calorie total).

    But if you get sick of water some other good liquids also include things such as green tea (packed full of anti-oxidants, also slightly thermogenic) and herbal teas (caffine free source of tasty water).

  3. #3
    OBSESSED WITH DEFINITION
    OMNIFEX's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    188
    Rep Points
    232270

    Thanks Emma-Leigh

    The reason I'm steering moreover towards whole milk opposed skim milk
    is more calorie intake.

    I'm a huge fan of herbal teas, so, I guess I'm on the right track.

    Thanks again
    OMNIFEX
    The More Definition The Better!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    thajeepster's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    759
    Rep Points
    692544

    hey emma, can you drink too much green tea? I go through like a gallon every 2 days or so.

  5. #5
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by thajeepster
    hey emma, can you drink too much green tea? I go through like a gallon every 2 days or so.
    Not really - not unless you are drinking a lot!

    Green tea still has caffine in it, so you have to be careful of the diuretic effect as it will not only cause dehydration but it can also deplete your potassium levels (hypokalaemia)... It is also really high in flavanoids and these can stop iron absorption in your gut too - which means you may become iron deficient after long term/constant tea drinking...

    Ummm... but other than that - drink up!

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Posts
    603
    Rep Points
    10

    Idk what all cities have Braums... but we have one here.. and I drink A TON of their skim milk and 1% milk... more protein in their milk than elsewhere... my assumption was that other brands, in removing fat from their milk... maybe they start with a gallon, have less than a gallon after fat removal, then top it off with water causing the watery taste of most skim milk... just a guess. But Braums milk... 1Cu Skim is 120cals 0gF 18gC 12gP (as opposed to the usual 8g Protein).. 1Cu 1% from them is 130cals 2.5gF 15gC 10gP.

    I wondered how much milk contributes to water intake... cuz I obviously don't drink as much plain water when i'm drinking milk all the time.
    195 @ 10%
    B/S/D:320/385/445

  7. #7
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by drew.haynes
    Idk what all cities have Braums... but we have one here.. and I drink A TON of their skim milk and 1% milk... more protein in their milk than elsewhere... my assumption was that other brands, in removing fat from their milk... maybe they start with a gallon, have less than a gallon after fat removal, then top it off with water causing the watery taste of most skim milk... just a guess. But Braums milk... 1Cu Skim is 120cals 0gF 18gC 12gP (as opposed to the usual 8g Protein).. 1Cu 1% from them is 130cals 2.5gF 15gC 10gP.

    I wondered how much milk contributes to water intake... cuz I obviously don't drink as much plain water when i'm drinking milk all the time.
    Well.... Normal skim milk is nearly all water (usually one cup is 245g of milk and of that ~220g is water). But milk on average is usually ~85-90% water.

    I am not sure what the milk you drink would be exactly, but you can make 'rough' guestimates by simply subtracting the 'bulk' constituents of milk from the total weight of what you are drinking.... (of course there is going to be other things like the vitamins and minerals that are going to be in there as well... but they are not going to throw the measure out too much).

    Anyway - if we assume that one glass of your milk is still = 240-250g (say 245g). Then, if we use the skim milk as an example: 18g carbs + 12g protein = 30g total.

    So 245-30 = 215g left over... which would be roughly the amount of water you are consuming (which is ~ 85% of a cup of water).

    So it would contribute significantly to water intake if you drink a lot... But I would still make sure you are getting a good dose of fresh water too.

  8. #8
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Posts
    603
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    Well.... Normal skim milk is nearly all water (usually one cup is 245g of milk and of that ~220g is water). But milk on average is usually ~85-90% water.

    I am not sure what the milk you drink would be exactly, but you can make 'rough' guestimates by simply subtracting the 'bulk' constituents of milk from the total weight of what you are drinking.... (of course there is going to be other things like the vitamins and minerals that are going to be in there as well... but they are not going to throw the measure out too much).

    Anyway - if we assume that one glass of your milk is still = 240-250g (say 245g). Then, if we use the skim milk as an example: 18g carbs + 12g protein = 30g total.

    So 245-30 = 215g left over... which would be roughly the amount of water you are consuming (which is ~ 85% of a cup of water).

    So it would contribute significantly to water intake if you drink a lot... But I would still make sure you are getting a good dose of fresh water too.
    Wow, great news... thanks again Emma!
    195 @ 10%
    B/S/D:320/385/445

Similar Threads

  1. Research Chem Liquids
    By F1cTi0n in forum Research Chemicals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 06:06 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
  3. Solids vs liquids
    By jhawkin1 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM
  4. Fibre + liquids
    By jaim91 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 06:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->