NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Dead lifts off low rack instead of floor okay?

Rep Points

Dead lifts off low rack instead of floor okay?

Hi everyone,

Well, being taller (6'1") I feel vulnerable at the bottom of the lift (I know there are taller guys who probably don't feel the same). I've been doing my dead lifts off the bottom stops for the past 2 years, which means instead of the plates hitting the floor, the movement stops about 5-6" higher than that (bar is mid-shin). I feel much safer, with less back curvature. I can also go heavier (an extra plate/side).

I throw in weighted hyper-extensions to hit the lower back that not going to the floor missed.

Anyone think this is okay? Is it necessary to go to the floor?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

flawless

Rep Points

That is fine. A lot of people do deadlifts from low rack where the pins are set so it should be no problem as long as your form is good and you are doing other back exercises to hit all muscles for your back.

Rep Points

Thanks man. Wanted to hear just that. Yeah, I keep it varied, so that's good. And my form feels good this way. I can focus on getting more wait up and not worrying about my back snapping

Rep Points

This is a good exercise that lets one go a heavier than normal. I really feel these all over my back when i push it. I usually trian deads for powerlifting, but when i am massbuilding, i use these in conjunction with heavy deads. they are great for the traps too, and grip. Keep lifting.

Rep Points

I get great trap involvment with the heavier weight that the off-the-floor method allows. Unfortunately, I have to use straps for 3+plates. I try and grip until failure and then go for the straps. First time I did 3 plates and quarters I popped some blood vessels in my eye

I always train deadlifts down to 1-2 reps on the last working set. I know that mass building should be more reps, but I like training this way. I do bench like that too. I hope I'm not at odds with my myself...

Dookie

Rep Points

I'm 6'4" and feel the same as you Bro. I pull from about 3-4 inches(from the bottom off the 45lb plates)off the ground. I able to pull much more weight without the stress of hurting my back.

I subscribe to the theory of do what works for you. These have been great to me!

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Unless you're planning to compete in a powerlifting meet, just do whatever works for you.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by NEO_72
    First time I did 3 plates and quarters I popped some blood vessels in my eye
    LOL same thing happened to me once I reached 315. My eye was disgusting and it was like that for a good 3 and 1/2 weeks. Worst part was, I had my prom during the middle of it so that completely sucked.

Rep Points

nosebleeds are not uncommon as well. i know that i hit heavy deads well if i have a headache for a day afterwards. watch the strongman competitions, you see nosebleeds quite often.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I understand your concern, but I seriously think you are cheating your erectors out of some powerful stimuli by starting a bit off the ground. In fact, I have done platform deadlifts in the past. This is where you stand on a platform to increase the range of motion.

It's great you're doing deadlifts. I commend you on that. Only .00001% of the gym-going population does perform deadlifts regularly. However, if you maintain a tight core and don't round your back, then you probably stand a better chance getting injured while bench pressing.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

CowPimp, that's the one thing makes me want to go back. But the bottom sucks. Having longer legs, there seems a point I have to move the bar out horizontally to clear me knees - right there my back feels vulnerable.

I do weighted hyper-X's to hit the lower back.

I might try alternating and see if I can get the bottom going better...

Largepkg must have it even worse at 6'4"...

Cutting sucks.

Rep Points

my training partner is 6'-5" and quite leggy, and i make sure to make him take it off the ground, while standing on the 2" tall pad.

but doing it off the low rack is ok, its called a "rack deadlift" where the bar sits at the bottom of your kneecap.
    cutting sucks.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm 6'4", and stand on a 3.5" block, as the large plates raise the bar off the ground. Never had any problems with my back, so far.................

Rep Points

That's cool man. Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm going to stick to what feels good.

Lexen Xtreme

Rep Points

I used to feel that taking it off from the floor felt bad on me, but just recently I got used to doing them that way... For a while I did around 8-10 reps and I started off the hooks rather than the floor (but I was still going to the floor) and it felt weird on my back. Now, going higher weight lower reps starting from the floor feels a lot better, you just have to remember to start with your butt pretty close to the floor and focus on keeping it straight the whole way.
    Still, I'm not against doing what feels better for you, better safe than sorry.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I'm 6 foot +, and I have no problem with pulling it off the floor. As long as you don't round your back, even if it's not in an upright position, you should be fine.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos