NapsGear.net


Limited Time

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Limited Time

  1. #1
    The Searcher


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    129
    Rep Points
    10

    Limited Time






    I live a traditional family lifestyle--I work while my wife takes care of the kids and household matters. Because I work 70+ hr./week, I perform a full body routine every seven days or so. I alternate between (A) deadlift/dip and (B) squat/underhand chin. I am 43 yr old, weigh 288# @ 17% BF. Is there anything I should do differently to enhance my training?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Rocky_B's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    446
    Rep Points
    10

    I would try to incorporate some cardio into your routine as well. 70+ hours a week is harsh, but you can pick up some whey and drink shakes at work to fulfill some of your protein needs.
    IMA BEAST

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    bigss75's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,136
    Rep Points
    5713156

    70 hours is alot of work. I would keep my marcos in control and keep a good diet. Also some cardio like HIIT short and sweet.

  4. #4
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by rburton
    I live a traditional family lifestyle--I work while my wife takes care of the kids and household matters. Because I work 70+ hr./week, I perform a full body routine every seven days or so. I alternate between (A) deadlift/dip and (B) squat/underhand chin. I am 43 yr old, weigh 288# @ 17% BF. Is there anything I should do differently to enhance my training?
    My friend your 43 years old and you weigh 288 lbs and only have 17% B/f. Keep doing what your doing and forget this site, you don't need are help!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Rocky_B's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    446
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    My friend your 43 years old and you weigh 288 lbs and only have 17% B/f. Keep doing what your doing and forget this site, you don't need are help!
    umm thats still almost 50 lbs of body fat he's carrying around, which is why he should incorporate cardio in his brief routine.
    IMA BEAST

  6. #6
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Rep Points
    3146125

    How much total fat he has only matters with respect to his total bodyweight. 17% isn't that high for a 43 year old who doesn't work out, especially at a BW of 288. I agree with the old man (), but if he still wants to improve, I'd say go for it.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,463
    Rep Points
    117244243

    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    My friend your 43 years old and you weigh 288 lbs and only have 17% B/f. Keep doing what your doing and forget this site, you don't need are help!
    Seriously, he is either 6'8" or jacked to the hilt. You wouldn't have that much work to do, clean up the diet a tad and voila.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,463
    Rep Points
    117244243

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_B
    umm thats still almost 50 lbs of body fat he's carrying around, which is why he should incorporate cardio in his brief routine.
    We go by percentage, not total weight.

  9. #9
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25
    Rep Points
    10

    How to calculate the % exactly?‎

  10. #10
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    next level
    Posts
    215
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by rburton
    I live a traditional family lifestyle--I work while my wife takes care of the kids and household matters. Because I work 70+ hr./week, I perform a full body routine every seven days or so. I alternate between (A) deadlift/dip and (B) squat/underhand chin. I am 43 yr old, weigh 288# @ 17% BF. Is there anything I should do differently to enhance my training?
    You can enhance your training by changing what you are doing. Forget about the once a week full body workout. You’d be better off purchasing a set of weights and a bench. Train at home. (I am assuming that you go to a gym?) Take 15-20 minutes every other day to train (at night or early morning) and do only two or three body parts at a time, use basic exercises, and keep your rest periods in between sets to 60-90 seconds. The training sessions will be short, intense, and more productive to boot; you will also be able to train your whole body in one week’s time. Tighten up your diet by incorporating wholesome nutritious foods and get plenty of rest.

    Adding some cardio will also help (as the others have mentioned) your overall program. You can do cardio on days you don’t train and it can be performed early in the morning or later in the day. You can walk, use a bike or even do some sprints, etc.

    Good luck.

  11. #11
    The Searcher


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    129
    Rep Points
    10

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Seriously, he is either 6'8" or jacked to the hilt. You wouldn't have that much work to do, clean up the diet a tad and voila.
    I'm 6' tall and I have never used any kind of anabolic drug. I have osteoarthritis, spindyilosis (sic?), and a drop foot (which requires me to wear a brace so that I can walk). Also, I underwent a bi-level diskectomy 10 yr ago. My situation is unique, I know; however, I do strive to improve myself. Because of limited training time and health problems, I continually seek ways that will enable me to train and gain more effectively.

    That's why I am posting on this board, so that I may acquire ideas that will further my training and gains. My goal is to decrease my BF to 12% (or less) during the next 12 months w/o losing any strength. Mudge, you provide tremendously useful advice on this board and I would like to know your take on my goal (i.e., how to reach it).

  12. #12
    The Searcher


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    129
    Rep Points
    10

    Smile

    I agree. The problem is that we live in a small house and do not have the space for a home gym, even though we can afford one (if the space was available). Currently, we are looking for a home that will allow me to install a home gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by furion joe
    You can enhance your training by changing what you are doing. Forget about the once a week full body workout. You’d be better off purchasing a set of weights and a bench. Train at home. (I am assuming that you go to a gym?) Take 15-20 minutes every other day to train (at night or early morning) and do only two or three body parts at a time, use basic exercises, and keep your rest periods in between sets to 60-90 seconds. The training sessions will be short, intense, and more productive to boot; you will also be able to train your whole body in one week’s time. Tighten up your diet by incorporating wholesome nutritious foods and get plenty of rest.

    Adding some cardio will also help (as the others have mentioned) your overall program. You can do cardio on days you don’t train and it can be performed early in the morning or later in the day. You can walk, use a bike or even do some sprints, etc.

    Good luck.

  13. #13
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Rep Points
    3146125

    You calculate the weight using calipers, or to get a more exact answer, hydrostatic weighing. Calipers are pretty cheap, and so are the results. Weight might cost you quite a bit (I really have no idea), but it's considered very accurate.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  14. #14
    The Searcher


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    129
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Seriously, he is either 6'8" or jacked to the hilt. You wouldn't have that much work to do, clean up the diet a tad and voila.
    Mudge

    Again, I have never used anabolics and my last body comp indicates that I am at 16% BF (@288lb). Why do you have difficulty accepting that a natural trainer using an abbreviated program can make gains? Also, I train every Saturday (when I can) using the following routine:

    Squats/Underhand pulldown

    Deadlift/Dip

    BTW: I Have never used anabolics; I am nearly 44 yr.old; and family/work demands prevent me from training more frequently than every 7 days, and sometimes less frequently.

  15. #15
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,463
    Rep Points
    117244243

    I never said it was impossible, but it being highly unlikely is a fact especially at your age. If your bodyfat measurement was accurate (different methods vary) then you are a genetic god, without question.

    I never said anything about not making gains, but you weigh more than Arnold ever did even in his "soft off season state" and claim still modest bodyfat levels. Now does it make sense to you?

    Hence my comment, you are either very tall OR you are a monster.

    I am about 50 pounds lighter than you at the moment, and I have a 51 inch chest. If I were nearly 290 with approximately your bodyfat levels I can calculate out that I'd have 21.25-21.5" arms and about a 57 inch chest, and I'm 6'2".

    A guy I work with had drop foot after a car accident but an operation fixed him right up.

  16. #16
    The Searcher


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    129
    Rep Points
    10






    [COLOR="black"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    I never said it was impossible, but it being highly unlikely is a fact especially at your age. If your bodyfat measurement was accurate (different methods vary) then you are a genetic god, without question.

    My measurements are accurate to the best of my knowledge. A physical therapist taught me how to use calipers, and when she instructed me in this skill, she measured my BF% along with me, and that was when I weighed 240#. Each time that she checked that I measured myself accurately, I had a BF% of 8 or 9 %. .

    I never said anything about not making gains, but you weigh more than Arnold ever did even in his "soft off season state"

    I have good genetics, I guess. To illustrate, my father is a small man who weighs 170# and was born approximately 2+ months prematurely. I have seen him toss a bale of hay with one hand/arm over over ten feet. This explains why, at least for me, why I have always had good strength and proportion for my size.

    Hence my comment, you are either very tall OR you are a monster.

    I am 6 ft tall, and I do not consider myself a monster.

    I am about 50 pounds lighter than you at the moment, and I have a 51 inch chest. If I were nearly 290 with approximately your bodyfat levels I can calculate out that I'd have 21.25-21.5" arms and about a 57 inch chest, and I'm 6'2".

    My stats do not measue up to yours; I guess my size is more evenly distributed.

    A guy I work with had drop foot after a car accident but an operation fixed him right up.
    [/COLOR

    That's good, and I'm glad for him, because a drop foot isn't a good thing since I have to wear a leg brace because of my drop foot in order to walk.
    Last edited by rburton; 12-26-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Revamp $15.99 limited time
    By llllern in forum Orbit Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
  2. Limited time sale items
    By OrbitNutrition in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
  3. Limited time sale items
    By OrbitNutrition in forum Orbit Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->