Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Sets per Muscle group

Rep Points

Sets per Muscle group

I started working out again about 3 months ago after a 2 year layoff. I have to say that this site inspired me to get my small yet fat body back in shape.
    So I want to thank all the people here who have motivated me.

Now my question is one of personal experience not what you think everybody should do. For me I have some muscle groups that require allot of sets ( like my lats and deltoids) and some that require almost nothing ( like my quads and gastrocnemius).

Here is what has worked for me in the past for sets per muscle group ( once a week workouts or once every 6 days).

Lats:12-14
    Deltoids: 12
    Chest: 8
    Biceps: 4-5......followed after lats
    Triceps: 4-5....followed after chest
    Hamstrings: 6+
    Traps: 3-5
    Gastrocnemius: 2
    Quads:4-5

So what has worked for you?
    Last edited by TJ Cline; 08-27-2005 at 04:16 PM.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    I started working out again about 3 months ago after a 2 year layoff. I have to say that this site inspired me to get my small yet fat body back in shape.
    So I want to thank all the people here who have motivated me.
    What motivation? The only time I heard any motivation for you was the motivation to ban you.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK, sorry. Let me be serious
    Lats:12-14-- It Depends....If it's pullups higher, if it's bentover lower
    Chest: 8--Yes

Rep Points

I guess i should try doing more sets for my delts i usually do about 9 becuase i thought smaller muscle groups like them required around 8.

I will ask the question again why are you doing 12 direct sets for delts which get lots of work on the 12-14 sets on back day and the 8 sets on chest day (indirct delt work) when you do only 8 for chest? which gets no other indirect work, you are training delts 2 to 3 times harder then any other bodypart in your programme

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HardTrainer
    I will ask the question again why are you doing 12 direct sets for delts which get lots of work on the 12-14 sets on back day and the 8 sets on chest day (indirct delt work) when you do only 8 for chest? which gets no other indirect work, you are training delts 2 to 3 times harder then any other bodypart in your programme
    Because my chest grows easily and my delts dont.
    www.ironmaglabs.com

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I noticed that in your picture, I also have the same problems.

Rep Points

www.ironmaglabs.com

Because my chest grows easily and my delts dont.
    pecs in a routine rarely get worked in overlap (i.e. indirect work) so the main sets you do for chest is all it gets, delts on the other hand seem to get abused more easily from the mentality that you can section off muscle groups, this i believe is the main reason why some peoples delts dont grow as well as chest.

Rep Points

pecs in a routine rarely get worked in overlap (i.e. indirect work) so the main sets you do for chest is all it gets, delts on the other hand seem to get abused more easily from the mentality that you can section off muscle groups, this is the main reason i believe people think their delts dont grow well.
    come again
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Rep Points

foreman is right, i have problems with delts but i do way more sets!

come again
    What i am trying to say is that chest gets hit only by the sets you intend it to be worked on on i.e. bench press, incline etc... all your other exercise for the other muscle groups (bar some triceps exercsises) dont really work chest.

On the other hand delts get a LOT of work form benching, inclines (lots of delt work as its just inbetween seated military press and flat bench) rows etc...Not to mention the sets you directly work them with..

So i belive that the majority of people find their chest to grow much easier then delts because thier chest gets much less work and delts get easily overtraining by all the other shit...

I dont think your chest grows easier by genetics but because you overtrain your delts compared to chest that it dosnt grow as well.

Rep Points

What i am trying to say is that chest gets hit only by the sets you intend it to be worked on on i.e. bench press, incline etc... all your other exercise for the other muscle groups (bar some triceps exercsises) dont really work chest.

On the other hand delts get a LOT of work form benching, inclines (lots of delt work as its just inbetween seated military press and flat bench) rows etc...Not to mention the sets you directly work them with..

So i belive that the majority of people find their chest to grow much easier then delts because thier chest gets much less work and delts get easily overtraining by all the other shit...

I dont think your chest grows easier by genetics but because you overtrain your delts compared to chest that it dosnt grow as well.
    That might be true for you.......thus the idea behind this thread.

But in the past I would only do 5 or 6 sets of direct deltoid work and thats why they were underdeveloped...

So now I will blast them and see what happens......it worked for me back in 1999-2003 so I will try it again now that I want to get big again.
    www.ironmaglabs.com

You will laugh if i post what worked for me but i am 22 years old and ATM 1 rm

Bench 315 1 RM
    Squat 350 1 RM (have a knee injury which has held me back for over a year now)
    Deadlift 440lbs 1 RM
    Seated shoudler press 215 lbs 1 RM

I coniseder myselft natural although i did 1 week of superdrol but stoped 3 months ago.

my routine is

Upper body

Bench press 2-3 sets
    Row 2 -3 sets
    Seated shoulder press 2 sets

Lower Body

Squat 2-3 sets
    leg curl 2 sets
    calf raise 2-3 sets

Train 3 times a week.

Oh yeah i deadlift once or twice a month also

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I coniseder myselft natural although i did 1 week of superdrol but stoped 3 months ago.
    And what do you think about it?

Rep Points

1 set rest pause.
    God bless
    Use the discount code JFA999 for 5% discount on trueprotein.com orders.

Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    And what do you think about it?
    I think it is very good, that is why i stopped in a way.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think it is very good, that is why i stopped.
    You mean that it is so good that you can get addicted?

You mean that it is so good that you can get addicted?
    Yes and the fact that it may soon be ilegal and I would have to buy real juice which i dont want to do personally so i would see some of my gains go away and get depressed because my workouts arnt as good no more.

And coupled with the fact i am happy ploding along with what i know works for me "ok"

So i dont really want to take my training to that level.

Rep Points

What motivation? The only time I heard any motivation for you was the motivation to ban you.
    How dare you!!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Actually, the chest gets more peripheral work than you might think. The pectoralis major also assists in shoulder adduction and extension, as well as any inferior movement of the scapula. Basically, rowing, pullups, and pullovers all call on the pectoralis major to some extent, although not to the extent of scapular protraction or, of course, horizontal adduction and shoulder flexion (The three of which are involved in the bench press, or only the last one if done PL style; the last two if you ask metal militia).
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos