Divine Nutrition

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

does your environment's temperature affect metabolism?

Rep Points

does your environment's temperature affect metabolism?

My question is having to deal with temperature and your metabolism. I am pretty sure that if your environment were really cold, your metabolism would speed up because it has to generate heat to keep your body warm. However, if the temperature is very hot and you are sweating a little bit, what effect does this have on your metabolism?

I ask this because I am back in college and this time there is no air conditioning - it is very hot, and it seems like I am always hungry as hell even though I am eating enough.

antelope07
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think you have it backwards, the hotter the air around you gets, the higher your metab. will go, i.e. sweating.
    Very cold temperature slows metab, which is why you hear occasional stories of a person who falls through ice, is under for half an hour and lives to tell about it with no adverse effect, maybe some frost bite. I would think there is an optimum range, more isn't always better.

Rep Points

i also thought that being cold burns more calories as your body has to work harder to keep warm. could be totally wrong, no idea.

Rep Points

Anyone else? If this topic were in Training people would be all over it, but it doesn't really pertain to it so..

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by antelope07
    I think you have it backwards, the hotter the air around you gets, the higher your metab. will go, i.e. sweating.
    Very cold temperature slows metab, which is why you hear occasional stories of a person who falls through ice, is under for half an hour and lives to tell about it with no adverse effect, maybe some frost bite. I would think there is an optimum range, more isn't always better.

According to my biology teacher that was very knowledgable, the body's metabolism speeds up in the winter to stay warm and slows down in the summer to stay cooler. I don't now how much of a change occurs though.

Metabolism isn't body temperature it is when food is broken down for energy. During the process of breaking down food your body creates heat. The heat outside your body is an outside factor that will elevate your body temperature and that is why you sweat. But sweat has no role in breaking down food it is simply to cools your body down.

antelope07
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well,
    Iam not a doctor, but that makes sense. But how did that kid who was underwater for 45 min have no brain damage and walk away with just frost bite?

lifts weights
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hotter=faster, colder=slower, your body may be working to make extra heat, but, its still slowed by the actual chill
    This is my journal. Click it and such

"
    tried and true theory on one's self is probably the only non-biased proof that something works for someone." - juggernaut

http://www.ronpaul.com/

Rep Points

endo-homeotherms

We are considered endo-homeotherms, meaning that we regulate our body temperature internally and are able to maintain that temperature at a constant or static state. In most cases a change in environment should not cause too much disruption to the body's ability to continue with such functions, therefore resulting in no to minimal change in metabolic rate. However, if you are from South Africa then migrated to Alaska the drastic change in environment will definitely be a factor. BTW if you are trying to lose weight, Vitamin B is a good source to speed up your metabolism. You can get vitamin B through food sources such as bananas, potatoes, chili peppers and lentils. May I add also that you need to eat low fat longevity foods. The key here is to eat in moderation, my friend Christopher Guerriero once told me that I need to eat low fat longevity foods like salmon almonds, red grapes, blueberries, garlic, spinach and whole grains

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Interesting.... so what is the time where the body just decides to slow the metabolism after 3 hrs to compensate for a lack of food.

Or are u just spamming for your so-called "friend"?

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Low fat longevity foods? Longevity foods? It would be nice if certain foods could directly promote longevity, but you can eat all the salmon and garlic that you want, but if the rest of your diet isn't in check, it won't make much of a difference.

Relatively speaking, I don't think we can call salmon and almonds particularly 'low' in fat either.