Walking burns A LOT more fat than Cardio

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    639
    Rep Points
    -959089

    Walking burns A LOT more fat than Cardio

    I was talking to these personal trainers at my university gym, (one guy is 250 pounds with 6 percent bodyfat). I was like what's the best way to lose weight. He's like stop doing cardio and start walking more. He was telling me that walking burns a lot more fat than doing cardio. He was like when you're doing cardio, when you go above a certain heartrate, like 120, ur body starts working ur heart and stops burning fat. He was like he never does cardio. I wonder what you guys think about this?

  2. #2
    the unbanned
    MyK's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    consumerville!
    Posts
    11,504
    Rep Points
    215433628

    there are so many variables that go into fat loss. your post is just oversimplifying and ignores the relevance of both diet and weight training. I do cardio, because I love to work out my heart, and because it burns fat, thats a fact.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,490
    Rep Points
    121800058

    High intensity exercise burns energy stores that are quickly broken down, like glycogen. Fat stores take time to break into and are done through non-aerobic activities.

    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.

  4. #4
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Rep Points
    3146125

    Well it certainly can't be denied that walking is one of the healthiest things you can do to keep your body in shape. It works your entire cardiovascular system and burns fat. As Mudge said, it takes time to break down advanced fat stores, so walking for about 45 minutes a day will probably go a long way come six to eight weeks from when you start. Try it. It's not like it'll interfere with your other workouts - it's very low impact and great for you.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  5. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    High intensity exercise burns energy stores that are quickly broken down, like glycogen. Fat stores take time to break into and are done through non-aerobic activities.

    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.
    Agree and nothing like running to help you lose all that hard work you did to get those quads where you wanted them

  6. #6
    .. Ascending ..
    TheUnlikelyHERO's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    25
    Rep Points
    10

    I disagree. Even though walking burns fat at a higher percentage than glycogen, it's still burning a lot less calories than running or even doing HIIT. Even if glycogen is mostly burned during exercise above 70% intensity, it's still burning much more calories than walking, and even with the fat not being burned much the higher calories burned still makes the fat higher. Furthermore, the body conserves the energy source that it used during exericse and burns it's counter-part after exercise. Meaning, if fat was burning primarily during exercise then glycogen will be burned afterwards, and vice versa. That's why HIIT is so good because since it burns lots of glycogen during the exericse and since it raises your metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity, and FFA oxidation, the body burns mostly fat for up to 24 hours after exericse (if you do it hard enough).

    Walking is definately fine to add to a cardio routine that's low impact but it shouldn't be the main cardio exercise. However, I can't speak for those people that have 230+ pounds of muscle - when low intensity cardio is preffered. But even at that point, walking really is only helping a little due to the fact that with all that muscle theyre burning fat like crazy all day because of all the muscle around. For those that aren't like them they shouldn't train like them.
    The more your sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.

  7. #7
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Rep Points
    3146125

    You could also argue, then, that weightlifting is the best way to burn fat because it raises your metabolism for more than 48 hours in some cases. I'd still say walking is one of the best ways to burn fat. Especially since the high-impact stuff will tear apart your knees in the long run. Many people stay healthy for a lifetime simply by walking. It's safe and effective.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,490
    Rep Points
    121800058

    HIIT vs low impact studies have been done.

    And yes, its already been argued that weight training is a good way to raise your metabolic requirements.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    mr_oo3's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyHERO
    I disagree. Even though walking burns fat at a higher percentage than glycogen, it's still burning a lot less calories than running or even doing HIIT. Even if glycogen is mostly burned during exercise above 70% intensity, it's still burning much more calories than walking, and even with the fat not being burned much the higher calories burned still makes the fat higher. Furthermore, the body conserves the energy source that it used during exericse and burns it's counter-part after exercise. Meaning, if fat was burning primarily during exercise then glycogen will be burned afterwards, and vice versa. That's why HIIT is so good because since it burns lots of glycogen during the exericse and since it raises your metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity, and FFA oxidation, the body burns mostly fat for up to 24 hours after exericse (if you do it hard enough).

    Walking is definately fine to add to a cardio routine that's low impact but it shouldn't be the main cardio exercise. However, I can't speak for those people that have 230+ pounds of muscle - when low intensity cardio is preffered. But even at that point, walking really is only helping a little due to the fact that with all that muscle theyre burning fat like crazy all day because of all the muscle around. For those that aren't like them they shouldn't train like them.
    Agree. It's like you burn 200 cals with walking, 100 cals of fat. But with sprints you burn 500 cals, 200 cals of fat. Lower percentage, but higher absolute value. (BTW those values are just made up)
    @ March 30
    DEADLIFT - 210kg

    Be a lamp unto yourselves... seek salvation alone in the truth – Buddha

  10. #10
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Calories in vs. calories out: If you burn more calories doing cardio, then your body is going to have to tap into your fat stores to perform other very low intensity aerobic activities, like walking, throughout the rest of the day. Not to mention that keeping an elevated heart rate boosts your RMR for hours after your finish exercising.

    This isn't to say that there is no merit behind what this fellow is saying. Certainly, the less intense the exercise and the longer the duration, the more likely fat stores are to be burned. The more intense and the shorter the duration, the more likely ATP/CP and/or glycogen stores will be utilized. However, I still wouldn't stop doing cardio. It is also good for your heart...
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  11. #11
    Integrity
    99hawkins's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    201
    Rep Points
    10

    Like, well, I would think, like, running gets your, like, heart rate going faster, like and to put into simplistic terms, like, surely that burns more fat, like?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    MuscleM4n's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Points
    3311535

    i think that's proper bullshit.

    Yes your heart does more work but you still will burn the fat cells for needed energy.
    Jogging/running is better than walking becuase it is more intense = you will need to use up more energy stored in fat cells.

    Just becuase the guy is 250lbs and 6% bodyfat (probably exaggerated figure anyway) does not confirm this theory to hold any substance

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Du's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Folly Beach, SC
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Points
    4373274

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.
    Ya sure got that right...

  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,490
    Rep Points
    121800058

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleM4n
    i think that's proper bullshit.

    Yes your heart does more work but you still will burn the fat cells for needed energy.
    Jogging/running is better than walking becuase it is more intense = you will need to use up more energy stored in fat cells.
    How about reading on how slowly fat is broken down for energy useage so you can discover what the "proper bullshit" here really is.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleM4n
    Just becuase the guy is 250lbs and 6% bodyfat (probably exaggerated figure anyway) does not confirm this theory to hold any substance
    Who said anything about theories, your theory versus proven science? Read what Cowpimp said, there are your clues.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    MuscleM4n's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Points
    3311535

    Ok so i am wrong. No problem and sorry


    By the way the guy says he is 250lbs at 6% bodyfat, if he dropped 1/2% bodyfat and at 235lbs or so he would be good enough to compete at the Mr.O as long as he doesn't look like Gregg Valentino, so i doubt he is telling the whole truth.
    Last edited by MuscleM4n; 09-06-2005 at 09:38 AM.

  16. #16
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    639
    Rep Points
    -959089

    he said either 6% or 8%, im guessing its 8. He said he was still cutting though. I started walking to all my classes. That is 4 sessions of a mile walk in each session. I will also do cardio in addition to that. I lift weights 3-4 times a week so that should help too. Working on the diet.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    MuscleM4n's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Points
    3311535

    Sounds like your doing good pumpthatiron.

    Just be consistant, that is the key

  18. #18
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    Oh hell I dropped the last 9% BF I need in three days and gained 30 lbs of LBM in that time. Think I'll continue with my 45 min brisk walk between now and the O and beat the shit out of all of those guys who put in 15 yrs to my 18 months.

    I am Tough, aren't I

  19. #19
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    639
    Rep Points
    -959089

    ur weak lol jp

  20. #20
    SFR Bike Crew
    Incognegro's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Floor It Duh
    Posts
    365
    Rep Points
    10

    I walk consistently over 12-13 a miles a day. For one I have to walk everywhere, or take public transportation since I do not have use of 4 or 2 wheels consistently. With my weak back, walking has proven more effective than running for me in terms of fat-burning/comfort. Running (esp on concrete) kills my spine (Its like a mini earthquake everytime you hit the pavement). When I run, I do it on a treadmill, and I do HIIT. My back gets sore if I go for any perioud longer than half an hour currently, but that is changing! I used to not be able to run at all with consistent pain.

    However, everybody is different. But all my walking/bike riding has worked for me.


    J
    It's always in the details.

  21. #21
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
    LAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Las Vegas & Florida & St. Croix
    Posts
    16,381
    Rep Points
    980708041

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleM4n
    By the way the guy says he is 250lbs at 6% bodyfat, if he dropped 1/2% bodyfat and at 235lbs or so he would be good enough to compete at the Mr.O as long as he doesn't look like Gregg Valentino, so i doubt he is telling the whole truth.
    if this guy is really a NPC competitor and has gotten his pro card then he uses a SHIT LOAD of gear and is most likely on gear 12 months out of the year. so yes, walking for "him" would be of great benefit. increased levels of androgens have a very positive effect on lipolysis.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

  22. #22
    I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER
    AKIRA's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    10,546
    Rep Points
    68710456

    Hmm, I thought walking was a form of cardio...
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

  23. #23
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    High intensity exercise burns energy stores that are quickly broken down, like glycogen. Fat stores take time to break into and are done through non-aerobic activities.

    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.
    I agree totally with mudge on this. When you get yourself above the heartrate of about 60-65% of your max then your going to also start burning LBM and that's bad. The ideal thing to do obviously is keep all LBM and reduce B/F. IMO this can be achieved by keeping your cardio to 45 to 60 mins. A brisk walk, bicycle, elipitical or whatever will do it. Not important on what you use but how you use it. Need to keep your heart rate around 60-65% of the MHR.

    Tough

  24. #24
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    154
    Rep Points
    10

    if you walk the same distance you run, you burn nearly the same amount of calories... most runners burn out pretty fast while walkers will keep going for much longer burning more calories. Not to mention i just hate running, and love walking

  25. #25
    IM Ball Buster
    The13ig13adWolf's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I win...
    Posts
    1,365
    Rep Points
    2966249

    Quote Originally Posted by pumpthatiron
    he said either 6% or 8%, im guessing its 8. He said he was still cutting though. I started walking to all my classes. That is 4 sessions of a mile walk in each session. I will also do cardio in addition to that. I lift weights 3-4 times a week so that should help too. Working on the diet.
    most people drastically underestimate their bf%. i doubt he's at 6% at this stage. that's very difficult to maintain. not to mention most testing methods are off by +/- 3% give or take.
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

  26. #26
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Posts
    6,932
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by The13ig13adWolf
    most people drastically underestimate their bf%. i doubt he's at 6% at this stage. that's very difficult to maintain. not to mention most testing methods are off by +/- 3% give or take.
    and all this is not important. If this guy has 10% B/F at 250 lbs he's going to look good to about 99% of the people posting here.
    All Agree?

    If you disagree then 99% of you haven't seen Mr. LAM in person like I have and he's only 240-245 @ 10% B/F

  27. #27
    Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER
    The Monkey Man's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    14,421
    Rep Points
    14936998

    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    and all this is not important. If this guy has 10% B/F at 250 lbs he's going to look good to about 99% of the people posting here.
    All Agree?
    Amen Toughy!! -

    Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!



  28. #28
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Here's my opinion on walking to cut fat. Basically, during low intensity activities, fat is one of the preferred sources of energy (Notice I said one of; glycolysis is still going to be of significance, but probably not fermentation). Okay, so during your walk, you are using a significant amount of fat to power this activity. Great.

    You now have to look at the flip side. Assuming you are performing higher intensity cardiovascular activity, your body will draw energy primarily from fermentation and glycolysis, meanwhile utilizing aerobic energy pathways to a lesser degree. Okay, so more glucose is broken down for energy as opposed to fat during the activity.

    Now let's look at the effects that occur after the workout ends. A sustained elevated metabolism seems to depend on two factors: intensity and duration. Intensity appears to be the primary determinant of how much and how long your metabolism stays elevated after a bout of exercise. Therefore, a long walk probably has an almost negligible effect on your basal metabolic rate after the workout has ended, at least relatively speaking. However, higher intensity exercise should have a very significant impact.

    What does this all mean? The point I am trying to drive home is that although you may be utilizing a significant amount of fat for energy during the walking itself, you are also utilizing a good amount of fat for energy during your everyday activities. High intensity exercise allows you to perform these lipophilic, everyday activities (Which probably includes a significant amount of walk) with a steadily raised metabolic rate.

    Beyond all this, I think high intensity cardiovascular activity has a place in anyone's routine. It is associated with promoting a greater usage of fatty acids in cellular respiration. By the same token, it promotes greater storage of glucose in skeletal muscle; in the form of glycogen of course.

    Perhaps the two could be combined in some optimal manner? Perhaps walking is still superior despite these facts? I can't say for sure. However, it is my theory, based on this evidence, that high intensity cardio is superior in terms of promoting a body composition of lower body fat.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  29. #29
    Unstoppable Force
    ELITE MEMBER
    camarosuper6's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,442
    Rep Points
    6268133

    I just hate to run, therefore I walk.

    Simple for me.

    "Show me a beautiful woman, and I'll show you a guy tired of screwing her"

  30. #30
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    93
    Rep Points
    10

    Its pretty well documented by studies that you burn more fat walking then running but that running is better for your heart health. Running also builds your leg muscles up more. Also, I find that after a good workout of lifting running feels much better as a follow up then walking. However, if you like walking better than running, you should do it. Lifting alone is not enough you should do some kind of follow up excercise.
    www.supplementsoutlet.com
    Lowest priced muscle milk and bsn nitrix on the web.

Similar Threads

  1. side burns...
    By danny81 in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 06:34 PM
  2. Cardio with walking
    By sicko in forum Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 06:14 AM
  3. walking cardio
    By overthepond in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:42 PM
  4. burns
    By iron jock in forum General Health & Awareness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:00 PM
  5. Supplement that burns fat ?..
    By WurdPerfect in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->