Walking burns A LOT more fat than Cardio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    639

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    -959089

    Walking burns A LOT more fat than Cardio

    I was talking to these personal trainers at my university gym, (one guy is 250 pounds with 6 percent bodyfat). I was like what's the best way to lose weight. He's like stop doing cardio and start walking more. He was telling me that walking burns a lot more fat than doing cardio. He was like when you're doing cardio, when you go above a certain heartrate, like 120, ur body starts working ur heart and stops burning fat. He was like he never does cardio. I wonder what you guys think about this?

  2. #2
    the unbanned
    MyK's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    consumerville!
    Posts
    11,493

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points
    215437628


    there are so many variables that go into fat loss. your post is just oversimplifying and ignores the relevance of both diet and weight training. I do cardio, because I love to work out my heart, and because it burns fat, thats a fact.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,504

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    122375236


    High intensity exercise burns energy stores that are quickly broken down, like glycogen. Fat stores take time to break into and are done through non-aerobic activities.

    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.

  4. #4
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    3146125

    Well it certainly can't be denied that walking is one of the healthiest things you can do to keep your body in shape. It works your entire cardiovascular system and burns fat. As Mudge said, it takes time to break down advanced fat stores, so walking for about 45 minutes a day will probably go a long way come six to eight weeks from when you start. Try it. It's not like it'll interfere with your other workouts - it's very low impact and great for you.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  5. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Age
    64
    Posts
    6,932

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    High intensity exercise burns energy stores that are quickly broken down, like glycogen. Fat stores take time to break into and are done through non-aerobic activities.

    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.
    Agree and nothing like running to help you lose all that hard work you did to get those quads where you wanted them

  6. #6
    .. Ascending ..
    TheUnlikelyHERO's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    25

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    I disagree. Even though walking burns fat at a higher percentage than glycogen, it's still burning a lot less calories than running or even doing HIIT. Even if glycogen is mostly burned during exercise above 70% intensity, it's still burning much more calories than walking, and even with the fat not being burned much the higher calories burned still makes the fat higher. Furthermore, the body conserves the energy source that it used during exericse and burns it's counter-part after exercise. Meaning, if fat was burning primarily during exercise then glycogen will be burned afterwards, and vice versa. That's why HIIT is so good because since it burns lots of glycogen during the exericse and since it raises your metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity, and FFA oxidation, the body burns mostly fat for up to 24 hours after exericse (if you do it hard enough).

    Walking is definately fine to add to a cardio routine that's low impact but it shouldn't be the main cardio exercise. However, I can't speak for those people that have 230+ pounds of muscle - when low intensity cardio is preffered. But even at that point, walking really is only helping a little due to the fact that with all that muscle theyre burning fat like crazy all day because of all the muscle around. For those that aren't like them they shouldn't train like them.
    The more your sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle.

  7. #7
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    3146125

    You could also argue, then, that weightlifting is the best way to burn fat because it raises your metabolism for more than 48 hours in some cases. I'd still say walking is one of the best ways to burn fat. Especially since the high-impact stuff will tear apart your knees in the long run. Many people stay healthy for a lifetime simply by walking. It's safe and effective.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,504

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    122375236


    HIIT vs low impact studies have been done.

    And yes, its already been argued that weight training is a good way to raise your metabolic requirements.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    mr_oo3's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyHERO
    I disagree. Even though walking burns fat at a higher percentage than glycogen, it's still burning a lot less calories than running or even doing HIIT. Even if glycogen is mostly burned during exercise above 70% intensity, it's still burning much more calories than walking, and even with the fat not being burned much the higher calories burned still makes the fat higher. Furthermore, the body conserves the energy source that it used during exericse and burns it's counter-part after exercise. Meaning, if fat was burning primarily during exercise then glycogen will be burned afterwards, and vice versa. That's why HIIT is so good because since it burns lots of glycogen during the exericse and since it raises your metabolic rate, insulin sensitivity, and FFA oxidation, the body burns mostly fat for up to 24 hours after exericse (if you do it hard enough).

    Walking is definately fine to add to a cardio routine that's low impact but it shouldn't be the main cardio exercise. However, I can't speak for those people that have 230+ pounds of muscle - when low intensity cardio is preffered. But even at that point, walking really is only helping a little due to the fact that with all that muscle theyre burning fat like crazy all day because of all the muscle around. For those that aren't like them they shouldn't train like them.
    Agree. It's like you burn 200 cals with walking, 100 cals of fat. But with sprints you burn 500 cals, 200 cals of fat. Lower percentage, but higher absolute value. (BTW those values are just made up)
    @ March 30
    DEADLIFT - 210kg

    Be a lamp unto yourselves... seek salvation alone in the truth – Buddha

  10. #10
    Fueled by Testosterone
    ELITE MEMBER
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15,929

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    17644176

    Calories in vs. calories out: If you burn more calories doing cardio, then your body is going to have to tap into your fat stores to perform other very low intensity aerobic activities, like walking, throughout the rest of the day. Not to mention that keeping an elevated heart rate boosts your RMR for hours after your finish exercising.

    This isn't to say that there is no merit behind what this fellow is saying. Certainly, the less intense the exercise and the longer the duration, the more likely fat stores are to be burned. The more intense and the shorter the duration, the more likely ATP/CP and/or glycogen stores will be utilized. However, I still wouldn't stop doing cardio. It is also good for your heart...





  11. #11
    Integrity
    99hawkins's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    England
    Age
    36
    Posts
    201

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Like, well, I would think, like, running gets your, like, heart rate going faster, like and to put into simplistic terms, like, surely that burns more fat, like?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    MuscleM4n's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,280

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    3311535

    i think that's proper bullshit.

    Yes your heart does more work but you still will burn the fat cells for needed energy.
    Jogging/running is better than walking becuase it is more intense = you will need to use up more energy stored in fat cells.

    Just becuase the guy is 250lbs and 6% bodyfat (probably exaggerated figure anyway) does not confirm this theory to hold any substance

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Du's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Folly Beach, SC
    Posts
    4,196

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    4373274

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Low impact activities like walking are also a lot easier on a 250 pound body.
    Ya sure got that right...

  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Mudge's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    24,504

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    122375236


    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleM4n
    i think that's proper bullshit.

    Yes your heart does more work but you still will burn the fat cells for needed energy.
    Jogging/running is better than walking becuase it is more intense = you will need to use up more energy stored in fat cells.
    How about reading on how slowly fat is broken down for energy useage so you can discover what the "proper bullshit" here really is.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleM4n
    Just becuase the guy is 250lbs and 6% bodyfat (probably exaggerated figure anyway) does not confirm this theory to hold any substance
    Who said anything about theories, your theory versus proven science? Read what Cowpimp said, there are your clues.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    MuscleM4n's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,280

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    3311535

    Ok so i am wrong. No problem and sorry


    By the way the guy says he is 250lbs at 6% bodyfat, if he dropped 1/2% bodyfat and at 235lbs or so he would be good enough to compete at the Mr.O as long as he doesn't look like Gregg Valentino, so i doubt he is telling the whole truth.
    Last edited by MuscleM4n; 09-06-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. side burns...
    By danny81 in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
  2. Cardio with walking
    By sicko in forum Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 05:14 AM
  3. walking cardio
    By overthepond in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
  4. burns
    By iron jock in forum General Health & Awareness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 04:00 PM
  5. Supplement that burns fat ?..
    By WurdPerfect in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums