• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Guard Units Deployment Delayed

kbm8795

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Congress Likely to Probe Guard Response By SHARON THEIMER, Associated Press Writer
Sat Sep 3, 6:38 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Another 10,000 National Guard troops are being sent to the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, raising their number to about 40,000, but questions linger about the speed with which troops were deployed.

Several states ready and willing to send National Guard troops to the rescue in New Orleans didn't get the go-ahead until days after the storm struck ??? a delay nearly certain to be investigated by Congress.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard last Sunday, the day before Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday.

California troops just began arriving in Louisiana on Friday, three days after flood waters devastated New Orleans and chaos broke out.

In fact, when New Orleans' levees gave way to deadly flooding on Tuesday, Louisiana's National Guard had received help from troops in only three other states: Ohio, which had nine people in Louisiana then; Oklahoma, 89; and Texas, 625, figures provided by the National Guard show.

Maj. Gen. Thomas Cutler, who leads the Michigan National Guard, said he anticipated a call for police units and started preparing them, but couldn't go until states in the hurricane zone asked them to come.

"We could have had people on the road Tuesday," Cutler said. "We have to wait and respond to their need."

The Michigan National Guard was asked for military police by Mississippi late Tuesday and by Louisiana officials late Wednesday. The state sent 182 MPs to Mississippi on Friday and had 242 headed to Louisiana on Saturday.

Typically, the authority to use the National Guard in a state role lies with the governor, who tells his or her adjutant general to order individual Guard units to begin duty. Turnaround time varies depending on the number of troops involved, their location and their assigned missions.

One factor that may have further complicated post-Katrina deployment arose when Louisiana discovered it needed Guardsmen to do more law enforcement duty because a large portion of the New Orleans police force was not functioning, according to Lt. Gen. Steven H. Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau at the Pentagon.

Because the agreement that was already in existence for states to contribute Guard troops to Louisiana did not include a provision on their use in law enforcement, Blum said, Gov. Blanco had to get separate written agreements authorizing Guardsmen to do police-type duty.

Still, Blum said, this took only minutes to execute.

With many states' Guard units depleted by deployments to Iraq, Katrina's aftermath was almost certain from the beginning to require help from faraway states.

Republicans and Democrats alike in Congress are just beginning to ask why one of the National Guard's most trusted roles ??? disaster relief ??? was so uneven, delayed and chaotic this time around.

Sen. Chuck Hagel (news, bio, voting record), R-Neb., said the situation has shown major breakdowns in the nation's emergency response capabilities. "There must be some accountability in this process after the crisis is addressed," he said.

Democrat Ben Nelson, Nebraska's other senator, said he now questions National Guard leaders' earlier assertions that they had enough resources to respond to natural disasters even with the Iraq war.

"I'm going to ask that question again," Nelson said. "Do we have enough (troops), and if we do, why were they not deployed sooner?"

President Bush was asked that question Friday as he toured the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast area and said he disagrees with criticism the military is stretched too thin.

"We've got a job to defend this country in the war on terror, and we've got a job to bring aid and comfort to the people of the Gulf Coast, and we'll do both," he said.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, R-Va., plans to make oversight of the Defense Department, the National Guard and their assistance his top priority when he returns to Washington next week from an overseas trips, spokesman John Ullyot said Friday.

Bush had the legal authority to order the National Guard to the disaster area himself, as he did after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks . But the troops four years ago were deployed for national security protection, and presidents of both parties traditionally defer to governors to deploy their own National Guardsmen and request help from other states when it comes to natural disasters.

In addition to Guard help, the federal government could have activated, but did not, a major air support plan under a pre-existing contract with airlines. The program, called Civilian Reserve Air Fleet, lets the government quickly put private cargo and passenger planes into service.

The CRAF provision has been activated twice, once for the Persian Gulf War and again for the Iraq war.

my buddy at work reported to DC today, he is being deployed on Friday to Mississippi.

"With many states' Guard units depleted by deployments to Iraq"

This statement right here just screams "I'm a leftie bitch with no clue!"

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] Take the Army for example. There are 1,012,000 soldiers on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard. Of them, 261,000 are deployed overseas in 120 countries. Iraq accounts for 103,000 soldiers, or 10.2 percent of the Army.[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] [/font][/font] [font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times]That's all? Yes, 10.2 percent. That datum is significant in itself, a good one to keep handy the next time someone talks about how our forces are stretched too thin, our troops are at the breaking point, and so forth. If you add in Afghanistan (15,000) and the support troops in Kuwait (10,000) you still only have 12.6 percent. [/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] [/font][/font] [font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times]So where are the rest? 751,000 (74.2 percent) are in the U.S. About half are active duty, and half Guard and Reserve. The Guard is the real issue of course--the Left wants you to believe that the country has been denuded of its citizen soldiers, and that Louisiana has suffered inordinately because Guardsmen and women who would have been available to be mobilized by the state to stop looting and aid in reconstruction are instead risking their lives in Iraq.[/font][/font]

no comment

cfs3 said:
"With many states' Guard units depleted by deployments to Iraq"

This statement right here just screams "I'm a leftie bitch with no clue!"

You've done this count before. I think the point is, if you have a smaller total number of Guard personnel deployed in the states, the numbers have been depleted because of deployment overseas. Recruitment is also down for the Guard - I've seen two reports in the last month that listed some states at lower than 80% of approved numbers. And while that article may not explain it, the amount of equipment deployed is often a higher percentage of available resources.

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] Take the Army for example. There are 1,012,000 soldiers on active duty, in the Reserves, or in the National Guard. Of them, 261,000 are deployed overseas in 120 countries. Iraq accounts for 103,000 soldiers, or 10.2 percent of the Army.[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] [/font][/font] [font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times]That's all? Yes, 10.2 percent. That datum is significant in itself, a good one to keep handy the next time someone talks about how our forces are stretched too thin, our troops are at the breaking point, and so forth. If you add in Afghanistan (15,000) and the support troops in Kuwait (10,000) you still only have 12.6 percent. [/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times] [/font][/font] [font=Verdana, Times][font=Verdana, Times]So where are the rest? 751,000 (74.2 percent) are in the U.S. About half are active duty, and half Guard and Reserve. The Guard is the real issue of course--the Left wants you to believe that the country has been denuded of its citizen soldiers, and that Louisiana has suffered inordinately because Guardsmen and women who would have been available to be mobilized by the state to stop looting and aid in reconstruction are instead risking their lives in Iraq.[/font][/font]

Let's see. . .isn't that like. . .10-1 = 9 but 9 = 10?

tryintogetbig said:
my buddy at work reported to DC today, he is being deployed on Friday to Mississippi.

hmm...is he being assigned cleanup or medical or patrol duty? I'm hoping they are near the end of search and rescue for Mississippi, but I guess there are some bodies still around.

hes in a medical unit

they called him last wed saying they needed 8 guys from his unit, and asked if he wanted to go, being we are all busy at work he said no. then they called him back last friday and told everyone in his unit ok now you have to come.

kbm8795 said:
You've done this count before.
No, I haven't done this count before.

kbm8795 said:
if you have a smaller total number of Guard personnel deployed in the states, the numbers have been depleted because of deployment overseas
Technically, if one person was deployed overseas then the Guard would be depleted by your standards.

kbm8795 said:
I've seen two reports in the last month that listed some states at lower than 80% of approved numbers.
What reports and which states?

kbm8795 said:
the amount of equipment deployed is often a higher percentage of available resources.
Nice use of a vague "statistic".

cfs3 said:
No, I haven't done this count before.

I thought this was posted in another thread.

Technically, if one person was deployed overseas then the Guard would be depleted by your standards.

Um. . .yeah. If the body isn't replaced by a new recruit, then the numbers at home are reduced.

What reports and which states?

I'll look this up when I get back from classes late this afternoon. Lousiana had 3000 troops assigned to Iraq, or 30% of their Guard if I recall correctly; however, officials said half of their equipment was deployed overseas.

Nice use of a vague "statistic".

There's nothing vague about it. Equipment numbers are obviously not the same as human bodies. We don't have a truck and a tank and a transport plane for each individual.

Back