• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Competitive running on day after heavy lifting

Adamjs

Adamjs
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Ok - today was a normal lifting day (am on a push/pull/legs split). Tomorrow would normally be a rest day (or light cardio where I jog with a friend who is unfit as buggery, so I count it as a rest day).

The question is this:

Can I go in a one-off competitive run just over 5km tomorrow instead of resting without killing myself? I'm normally very competitive and would normally place in the event - but I'm just not sure if killing myself on my 25th birthday is such a good idea.

Any ideas?

depends on a lot of things....

how hard you trained yesterday
how hard you trained for the past week
how hard you trained for the past month

it is going to come down to if your body can handle it. no one can tell you what is to mcuh for you individually.

My knees can't handle running the day after some tough squatting

But I like to run when my quads are still hit from training
I seems to warm them up, so I can stretch out some of the WO punishment

P-funk said:
depends on a lot of things....

how hard you trained yesterday
how hard you trained for the past week
how hard you trained for the past month

it is going to come down to if your body can handle it. no one can tell you what is to mcuh for you individually.

Till complete failure. I always train till failure. Is there any other way to train? :)

It is true that no one can say how much is too much for me individually. But training at 100% effort for me, would do the same damage to me as training at 100% effort would to someone else. The best the individual can do is the best the individual can do which would have a different magnitude for everyone - but percentage-wise (unless someone pikes out in training early) - we're all equal.

I figured I'm going to give the race a go. We'll see.

a) yes, there are other ways to train then complete failure!

b) 100% intensity will be pushing it for anyone, correct. This is why it is important to know what you did training wise last week, last month, etc.....a person can handle 100% intensity for a few weeks before unloading their training and allowing their increased fitness level to catch up. that the whole point of over-reahcing in training programs.

I think most likely you would be fine, assuming that feel like you can do so. A competitive 5km thrown in at random when you normally allow for full recovery would probably be fine. However, like P-funk said, you really have to be the ultimate judge.

Yeah - true P-Funk. I should've been a bit more clear in my lead-in paragraph. Normally I bulk in the off-season, taper training prior to each race of the season and focus more on cardio and getting race fit. This time I didn't have the time to taper the training because the event sort of snuck up on me.

Ok - here's how Adam the human lab rat went in his race seeking fortune and glory:

I was buggered. The race killed me. On the way out this old guy decided he'd drop his shoulder into me as i ran past - so I was not off to a good start. At the halfway mark I was cramping up all over. It was rather strange actually - my legs felt fine because they hadn't actually recovered from the previous day yet so were more numb than anything. My back and all of the support muscles cramped. First time i've ever raced and actually had muscular fatigue rather than cardio. I knew about 1/3 of the way into the race I had no hope of finishing properly because of the way I felt so I just jogged along side Heather and used her as my pace-man.

I did enough to win my age-group, but not the race :(. But hey - I won $50 and a date with Heather for my troubles. I'm going to go lay down and die now.

Cheers guys!

Back