25% Off Black Friday Sale

Question about losing size

Rep Points

Question about losing size

OK I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I need get a smaller frame, especially around the chest, shoulders and arms.

I'm a soccer player and when I was 22 I was told I need to get stronger so the coach had me doing weights during the off-season and preseason. I've been doing this for the last 5 years. I'm 180cm tall and used to weigh 75 kilograms, I'm now 27 and weigh 89 kilos. I'm a lot broader in the chest, shoulders and arms but as a result I've lost a lot of pace. I'm not talking pace over 100m or so, I'm talking about pace of the mark and over about 10m-20m, that electric pace that's really important in my chosen sport, to get to the ball first or get around an opponent, I'm also less agile than I use to be.

Can anyone advise me the best, healthy way to do this. I've got about six months until the next season and hope to walk out on the field a lot trimmer and hopefully with a bit more pace and agility.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Why don't you cut bodyfat first?
    I doubt it would make you fast if you lost a few lbs of muscle on your upperbody

Rep Points

I don't really have a lot of bodyfat, I think. I'm pretty sure it was fairly low last time I checked around 10% if I remember correctly.

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I heard somewhere that bodybuilders were the fastest people in the world for the first 3-5 yards.

Another myth I assume?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    stop lifting

Maybe just lighten the weight and do higher reps for endurance purposes.
    Maybe 15-20 reps at 40-50% Intensity.

Rep Points

stop lifting
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts

Maybe just lighten the weight and do higher reps for endurance purposes.
    Maybe 15-20 reps at 40-50% Intensity.
    Would a cardio workout before or after help?

happy sumo
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yea, stop lifting, and train for your specific sport.
    P-side Inc.

"the post-workout high is more profound than any drug-induced rush imaginable." -Dante B.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by BigDyl
    I heard somewhere that bodybuilders were the fastest people in the world for the first 3-5 yards.

Another myth I assume?
    Olympic lifters; bodybuilders dont lift for performance they lift for looks.

You dont have to weigh more to be stronger, so lose some weight if you feel it would add to your reaction/agility.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Olympic lifters; bodybuilders dont lift for performance they lift for looks.

You dont have to weigh more to be stronger, so lose some weight if you feel it would add to your reaction/agility.
    Exactly, and you don't have to weigh less to be faster, either. I guarantee an olympic lifter who is 185 can run faster than an average person who weighs 160. It's all about HOW you train IMO.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    Exactly, and you don't have to weigh less to be faster, either. I guarantee an olympic lifter who is 185 can run faster than an average person who weighs 160. It's all about HOW you train IMO.

as far as size goes and speed have you ever seen the legs on a world class sprinter or speed skater? Holy crap!!! They have some silly quads.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    as far as size goes and speed have you ever seen the legs on a world class sprinter or speed skater? Holy crap!!! They have some silly quads.
    I wouldn't doubt it. Have you ever seen the video of the sprinter who does all sorts of jumps onto crates? He does one-legged ones three or four feet high, and then ones with both legs to about his height. It's not even a running jump either, he just stands there, crouches, and springs up. It's pretty insane.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Rep Points

Wow this is different and gives us all something to think about. He wants a smaller frame and we are all after a larger one.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I would try and stay at the same weight, remain muscular, and just work on speed. A few freinds of mine still play on very competive club soccer teams and were elite soccer players in college. One of my buddies is a little taller than I am, he is about 5'7", and weights a solid 195lbs. That is a lot heavier then he was in college but he is still really really fast. One of the faster guys out there. He just trains to be explosive with things like olympic lifts, plyometrics, etc.....it is all about how you train.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    it is all about how you train.
    exactly.

if you've been training like a typical bb'er (as it seems that you have), you probably built up a bunch of non-functional muscle mass (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). its not the muscle that is slowing you down, its the way you train. stop doing bodybuilding crap and lift for your sport, like PreMier said. Do functional stuff, no machine crap, squats, deads, benches, oly lifts, plyo's, and lots of speed/agility drills. that'll whip you into shape in no time.

whatever you do don't stop lifting, just do some more research and realize that bodybuilders don't really know much bout lifting for performance.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate