• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Question about losing size

spadey

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but I need get a smaller frame, especially around the chest, shoulders and arms.

I'm a soccer player and when I was 22 I was told I need to get stronger so the coach had me doing weights during the off-season and preseason. I've been doing this for the last 5 years. I'm 180cm tall and used to weigh 75 kilograms, I'm now 27 and weigh 89 kilos. I'm a lot broader in the chest, shoulders and arms but as a result I've lost a lot of pace. I'm not talking pace over 100m or so, I'm talking about pace of the mark and over about 10m-20m, that electric pace that's really important in my chosen sport, to get to the ball first or get around an opponent, I'm also less agile than I use to be.

Can anyone advise me the best, healthy way to do this. I've got about six months until the next season and hope to walk out on the field a lot trimmer and hopefully with a bit more pace and agility.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you cut bodyfat first?
I doubt it would make you fast if you lost a few lbs of muscle on your upperbody :confused:

I don't really have a lot of bodyfat, I think. I'm pretty sure it was fairly low last time I checked around 10% if I remember correctly.

I heard somewhere that bodybuilders were the fastest people in the world for the first 3-5 yards.

Another myth I assume? :confused:

stop lifting

myCATpowerlifts said:
:(
Maybe just lighten the weight and do higher reps for endurance purposes.
Maybe 15-20 reps at 40-50% Intensity.

Would a cardio workout before or after help?

Yea, stop lifting, and train for your specific sport.

BigDyl said:
I heard somewhere that bodybuilders were the fastest people in the world for the first 3-5 yards.

Another myth I assume? :confused:

Olympic lifters; bodybuilders dont lift for performance they lift for looks.

You dont have to weigh more to be stronger, so lose some weight if you feel it would add to your reaction/agility.

Mudge said:
Olympic lifters; bodybuilders dont lift for performance they lift for looks.

You dont have to weigh more to be stronger, so lose some weight if you feel it would add to your reaction/agility.
Exactly, and you don't have to weigh less to be faster, either. I guarantee an olympic lifter who is 185 can run faster than an average person who weighs 160. It's all about HOW you train IMO.

IML Gear Cream!
Squaggleboggin said:
Exactly, and you don't have to weigh less to be faster, either. I guarantee an olympic lifter who is 185 can run faster than an average person who weighs 160. It's all about HOW you train IMO.

as far as size goes and speed have you ever seen the legs on a world class sprinter or speed skater? Holy crap!!! They have some silly quads.

P-funk said:
as far as size goes and speed have you ever seen the legs on a world class sprinter or speed skater? Holy crap!!! They have some silly quads.
I wouldn't doubt it. Have you ever seen the video of the sprinter who does all sorts of jumps onto crates? He does one-legged ones three or four feet high, and then ones with both legs to about his height. It's not even a running jump either, he just stands there, crouches, and springs up. It's pretty insane.

I would try and stay at the same weight, remain muscular, and just work on speed. A few freinds of mine still play on very competive club soccer teams and were elite soccer players in college. One of my buddies is a little taller than I am, he is about 5'7", and weights a solid 195lbs. That is a lot heavier then he was in college but he is still really really fast. One of the faster guys out there. He just trains to be explosive with things like olympic lifts, plyometrics, etc.....it is all about how you train.

P-funk said:
it is all about how you train.

exactly.

if you've been training like a typical bb'er (as it seems that you have), you probably built up a bunch of non-functional muscle mass (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy). its not the muscle that is slowing you down, its the way you train. stop doing bodybuilding crap and lift for your sport, like PreMier said. Do functional stuff, no machine crap, squats, deads, benches, oly lifts, plyo's, and lots of speed/agility drills. that'll whip you into shape in no time.

whatever you do don't stop lifting, just do some more research and realize that bodybuilders don't really know much bout lifting for performance.

Back