IronMagLabs Osta Rx

          Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter


Manhattan help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 80

Thread: Manhattan help

  1. #1
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Exclamation Manhattan help






    So I am thinking about going there for 1 or 2 months around spring. I will be looking to find a room around village or the upper west side, share an apartment with some university people, I dont know. How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month? Where do I look for a room? Classifieds? Internet? How about food? But it needs to be Manhattan, no roosevelt island, queens or bronx. Thanks

    And yes, I thought about sneaking in and out of P and min0´s apartment.
    Last edited by Vieope; 10-12-2005 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    ihateschoolmt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Points
    138111922

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month?
    Lol, justing making sure, this is a joke right?

  3. #3
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by ihateschoolmt
    Lol, justing making sure, this is a joke right?
    No

    Dont you think there is a room to rent around $300 or $500?
    The money for food, transportation and leisure, I might take a part-time job eating cookies.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    ihateschoolmt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Points
    138111922

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    No

    Dont you think there is a room to rent around $300 or $500?
    The money for food, transportation and leisure, I might take a part-time job eating cookies.
    I went to New York for 10 days. I spent over 200 dollars in food and I did not eat three times a day. I did not eat anything expensive either, just like pizza and stuff. Transportation isn't so bad, but everything else is.

  5. #5
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    I know that.

  6. #6
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    26,862
    Rep Points
    804964429

    Look up the hostels in the area. Just avoid the barracks type or if you do, sleep with all your clothes on and hide your valuables in your underwear.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  7. #7
    cooking up a storm
    ELITE MEMBER
    Stu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,868
    Rep Points
    353386

    do it on the cheap

    http://www.couchsurfing.com/

  8. #8
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by maniclion
    Look up the hostels in the area. Just avoid the barracks type or if you do, sleep with all your clothes on and hide your valuables in your underwear.
    I said 2 or 3 months but it is more like 1 month or a little bit more. I really wanna find a room, do some free courses in english, pay for one in an interesting subject. So it cant be a place with too many people but it gotta be close to a place like village with too many people.

  9. #9
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu
    do it on the cheap

    http://www.couchsurfing.com/
    Nice

  10. #10
    Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER
    maniclion's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Mēns Incognita
    Posts
    26,862
    Rep Points
    804964429

    Well with your experience and fluffiness you could easily hook up with one of the many gay sugar daddies in the Village with whom you could trade special favors for room and board.

    They weren't called the Village People for nothing you know.
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

  11. #11
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    My fluffiness is strictly heterosexual. As least I am not the one walking around with a gay wig.

    Good point though, is the Village all gay? I cant believe it, it seems so nice.

    I am enjoying the couch surfing idea.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    busyLivin's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,661
    Rep Points
    22045035

    Bring some of those Brazillian women with you.

  13. #13
    IDIOT SAVANT
    ALBOB's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    An alternate reality.
    Posts
    11,627
    Rep Points
    163513133

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month?
    Plan on living in a cardboard box and eating out of trash cans.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

  14. #14
    Back from the dead
    gococksDJS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Points
    12006946

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    So I am thinking about going there for 1 or 2 months around spring. I will be looking to find a room around village or the upper west side, share an apartment with some university people, I dont know. How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month? Where do I look for a room? Classifieds? Internet? How about food? But it needs to be Manhattan, no roosevelt island, queens or bronx. Thanks

    And yes, I thought about sneaking in and out of P and min0´s apartment.
    Manhattan with $500 a month? I've never lived in NY so I could be wrong, but I am a college student living in Columbia, SC which is the most run down, shitty city in the world, and I can't get by on $500 a month. That includes $300 in rent, $100 for cable/internet and it varies for water and electricity so I would think Manhattan would have to be a shitload more.

  15. #15
    Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Posts
    15,701
    Rep Points
    15158606

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    So I am thinking about going there for 1 or 2 months around spring. I will be looking to find a room around village or the upper west side, share an apartment with some university people, I dont know. How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month? Where do I look for a room? Classifieds? Internet? How about food? But it needs to be Manhattan, no roosevelt island, queens or bronx. Thanks

    And yes, I thought about sneaking in and out of P and min0´s apartment.

    I'm sure we can work something out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  16. #16
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    WVA
    Posts
    380
    Rep Points
    724530



    There is absolutely positively NO WAY to survive in Manhattan on $500 per month.

    1) It is most likely the most expensive real estate market in the US

    2) Unless you have 5 roommates and you live in a 1 bedroom place in the Bronx you are simply dreaming.

    3) You are forgetting food, clothing, train costs, miscellaneous expenses and at that budget forget even trying to have a social life.

    4) The only way I can even concieve you doing this is if you were to live with someone rent free..good luck!

    Sorry man, save a little before you go and you should be fine.
    Later
    To achieve Success is certaily tough..but keeping it, much tougher!

  17. #17
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB
    Plan on living in a cardboard box and eating out of trash cans.
    If I were a dog or a cat that might happen but have you ever saw a homeless bunny? We are too cute for this.

  18. #18
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDyl
    I'm sure we can work something out.

  19. #19
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by gococksDJS
    Manhattan with $500 a month? I've never lived in NY so I could be wrong, but I am a college student living in Columbia, SC which is the most run down, shitty city in the world, and I can't get by on $500 a month. That includes $300 in rent, $100 for cable/internet and it varies for water and electricity so I would think Manhattan would have to be a shitload more.
    Oh but I mean $500 just for the rent to pay for a simple room. I dont need tv or internet. I think. How did you find your room? I think I will try craiglist as well.

  20. #20
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by andyo


    There is absolutely positively NO WAY to survive in Manhattan on $500 per month.

    1) It is most likely the most expensive real estate market in the US

    2) Unless you have 5 roommates and you live in a 1 bedroom place in the Bronx you are simply dreaming.

    3) You are forgetting food, clothing, train costs, miscellaneous expenses and at that budget forget even trying to have a social life.

    4) The only way I can even concieve you doing this is if you were to live with someone rent free..good luck!

    Sorry man, save a little before you go and you should be fine.
    Later
    Thanks

    But like I said in the post above this would be only for rent. Food, transportation and fun I might take a part-time job.

  21. #21
    Monochromatic Bunny
    Vieope's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    drinking coffee..
    Posts
    15,084
    Rep Points
    17103987

    Quote Originally Posted by busyLivin
    Bring some of those Brazillian women with you.

  22. #22
    is still around...
    GoalGetter's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Points
    854196

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    So I am thinking about going there for 1 or 2 months around spring. I will be looking to find a room around village or the upper west side, share an apartment with some university people, I dont know. How can I survive Manhattan with $500 a month? Where do I look for a room? Classifieds? Internet? How about food? But it needs to be Manhattan, no roosevelt island, queens or bronx. Thanks

    And yes, I thought about sneaking in and out of P and min0´s apartment.
    V: you never know what you can find on craigslist: http://newyork.craigslist.org/hhh/
    (Check out sublets, temporary, rooms to share, vacation rentals, etc.)

    Also, here are various sites that serve as resources for hostels. I'm looking up similar information for a friend of mine in chicago who wants to visit, so I have it all on-hand here... glad to share.

    http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html
    http://www.ny.com/hotels/budget.html
    http://www.hinewyork.org/
    http://gonyc.about.com/od/hostels/
    http://www.backpackers.com/North_Ame...ctory/hostels/

    Hope this helps! Let us know when you book your trip! we want to meet the bunny!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    ihateschoolmt's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,632
    Rep Points
    138111922

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    That would be the only way you would be getting a room in NYC for 500$ a month.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,751
    Rep Points
    802265827

    As a New Yorker I wish you luck. It's too expensive here in NYC.
    Mass transit is the way to go in Manhatten, I have yet to use a yellow cab myself here in my 40 years in NYC.
    The food is expensive but the good thing is the they have plenty of Brazilien restaurants in Manhatten and Queens.
    Stay out of the bad neighborhoods.

    Oh and if you come over to my house the family would look forward to having some rabbit stew.

  25. #25
    Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Posts
    15,701
    Rep Points
    15158606

    Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    here in my 40 years in NYC.

    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  26. #26
    Back from the dead
    gococksDJS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Points
    12006946

    Quote Originally Posted by Vieope
    Oh but I mean $500 just for the rent to pay for a simple room. I dont need tv or internet. I think. How did you find your room? I think I will try craiglist as well.
    Well I have 2 roommates so there's 3 of us living here. It's $900 month for a 3 bedroom house with a big back yard in the nice area around campus. I rarely see 1 bedroom places for less than $350 a month here. From a roommate standpoint, the more the better. If it's just you, it will cost more than 4 guys in a 4 bedroom place, but there are drawbacks to having roommates. I have one who is the laziest person I've ever met. We have a 65" flat screen TV and he spends 5 hours a day at an internship and literally around 8 hours a day watching tv. And I think he steals my shit.

  27. #27
    Back from the dead
    gococksDJS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Points
    12006946

    Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    I have yet to use a yellow cab myself here in my 40 years in NYC.
    Old trannies are worse than young trannies...

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,751
    Rep Points
    802265827

    Quote Originally Posted by gococksDJS
    Well I have 2 roommates so there's 3 of us living here. It's $900 month for a 3 bedroom house with a big back yard in the nice area around campus. I rarely see 1 bedroom places for less than $350 a month here. From a roommate standpoint, the more the better. If it's just you, it will cost more than 4 guys in a 4 bedroom place, but there are drawbacks to having roommates. I have one who is the laziest person I've ever met. We have a 65" flat screen TV and he spends 5 hours a day at an internship and literally around 8 hours a day watching tv. And I think he steals my shit.
    Why does your world revolve around scat and feces. Your dodo must taste good, post your diet please.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    min0 lee's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Bronx, NYC
    Posts
    44,751
    Rep Points
    802265827

    luckily I look 30, I suprise people when I tell them my age.

  30. #30
    Back from the dead
    gococksDJS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,003
    Rep Points
    12006946






    Quote Originally Posted by min0 lee
    Why does your world revolve around scat and feces. Your dodo must taste good, post your diet please.
    My diet? I eat nothing but fingernail clippings, corns cut off old people's feet, ear hair, scabs, dingleberries and Icee's.

Similar Threads

  1. Celebrating 10 Years of Dr Manhattan
    By captaincaberman in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM
  2. Manhattan Gym;s
    By Ronald in forum Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 07:31 AM
  3. Powerlifting Olympic Lifting Gym in Manhattan
    By vespa103 in forum Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
  4. Good gyms in manhattan?
    By Monolith in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->