• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Push, Pull, Legs...help!

ness

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I just started with a consistent lifting/cardio schedule. I'm not super intense just want to look/feel good. Here's my schedule- give me some feedback as far as if this looks good, if I should add anything...etc...you guys know more than me!! :p

Mon: Pull Day (pull downs, cable rows, shrugs, barbell/dumbell curls)
Tues: Cardio (2 mile run)
Wed: Push Day (bench press, dumbell incline bench, tricep extensions, push downs, dumbell straight up)
Thurs: Cardio (2 mile run)
Fri/Sat: Leg Day (leg press, leg curls, seated/standing calf raises, squats)

I don't want to gain weight, just want to look good (but not diesel).

How many sets are you doing for each movement? Repetition range? Intensity of effort relative to muscular failure on each set?

ness said:
Mon: Pull Day (pull downs, cable rows, shrugs, barbell/dumbell curls)

Although I suggest sticking with freeweights if you can help it, you've got the basics down. You have a vertical and horizontal pulling movement and some good accessory work. My suggestions, however, are to replace the pulldowns with pullups or chinups and replace the cable rows with some form of freeweight rowing like bent rows.

Wed: Push Day (bench press, dumbell incline bench, tricep extensions, push downs, dumbell straight up)

What is a dumbbell straight up? Is that overhead pressing? If so, good. That's what it should be. Perform your overhead pressing before your tricep isolation work. Isolation work should generally come last. Looks good.

Fri/Sat: Leg Day (leg press, leg curls, seated/standing calf raises, squats)

Squats should be done first. Following squats I think you should insert a compound movement that focuses a little more on hip extension. Leg curls are fine, but a good compound freeweight movement that hits the posterior chain hard, like a variation of deadlifts or good mornings, should be added.

I don't want to gain weight, just want to look good (but not diesel).

Have you considered circuit training full body routines then? The added benefit of extra cardiovascular conditioning shouldn't be ignored.

How many sets are you doing for each movement? Repetition range? Intensity of effort relative to muscular failure on each set?
I do 3 sets each with the exception of standing/seated calf raises. Those are between 4-5. 10 reps each set- trying to fail around 7 on the third set.
My suggestions, however, are to replace the pulldowns with pullups or chinups and replace the cable rows with some form of freeweight rowing like bent rows.
Bent rows? Please explain.
Squats should be done first. Following squats I think you should insert a compound movement that focuses a little more on hip extension. Leg curls are fine, but a good compound freeweight movement that hits the posterior chain hard, like a variation of deadlifts or good mornings, should be added.
I always do squats first, just listed them wrong.
I HATE deadlifts. ugh. What are good mornings? (sorry I am new at this)
Have you considered circuit training full body routines then? The added benefit of extra cardiovascular conditioning shouldn't be ignored.
I run twice a week, like I said. I also work intramural staff at school which is lighter cardio for 2 hours, 4 days a week. IF I thought about circuit training what would it consist of and would I burn out?

ness said:
I do 3 sets each with the exception of standing/seated calf raises. Those are between 4-5. 10 reps each set- trying to fail around 7 on the third set.

Sounds reasonable enough. Just make sure you aren't hitting failure on every working set. You would be hard pressed to make a full recovery from workouts where every set is taken to failure. It sounds like you typically only fail on the last set, which would be fine most likely.

Bent rows? Please explain.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=98

I always do squats first, just listed them wrong.
I HATE deadlifts. ugh. What are good mornings? (sorry I am new at this)

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/exdetails.asp?exid=167

You could also try variations of deadlifts like stiff-legged deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts.

I run twice a week, like I said. I also work intramural staff at school which is lighter cardio for 2 hours, 4 days a week. IF I thought about circuit training what would it consist of and would I burn out?

I understand this, but you could certianly further improve cardiovascular conditioning by incorporating circuit training into your routine. Those 2 mile runs will seem like child play compared to a full body routine done circuit style.

It merely consists of doing exercises in rapid succession. Once you finish the circuit, you would rest for a minute, and the go through it another 2-3 times. I doubt you would burnout unless you push yourself to absolute failure on every set in the circuit, which I don't recommend.

It's not at all necessary if you don't want to do it. I just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Sounds reasonable enough. Just make sure you aren't hitting failure on every working set. You would be hard pressed to make a full recovery from workouts where every set is taken to failure. It sounds like you typically only fail on the last set, which would be fine most likely.

If for some reason I happen to fail on 7/8 on my second set- should I still do my third set anyway and fail again?

Also, side note: Should I be aiming to fail or should I lift less weight and do more reps? It is personal preference?

ness said:
If for some reason I happen to fail on 7/8 on my second set- should I still do my third set anyway and fail again?

Don't fail on your second set. Just stop before you do. Then hit failure on your last set. It's not like failure sneaks up out of nowhere. You know when you're going to fail. However, if you occasionally fail more frequently then that's okay. Just make sure that you don't continue failing on all your sets all the time for extended periods without inserting deloading/recovery training.

Also, side note: Should I be aiming to fail or should I lift less weight and do more reps? It is personal preference?

You could do more lighter weights for more reps and still fail. The two aren't mutually exclusive...

CowPimp said:
Don't fail on your second set. Just stop before you do. Then hit failure on your last set. It's not like failure sneaks up out of nowhere. You know when you're going to fail. However, if you occasionally fail more frequently then that's okay. Just make sure that you don't continue failing on all your sets all the time for extended periods without inserting deloading/recovery training.

You could do more lighter weights for more reps and still fail. The two aren't mutually exclusive...
I would not listen to a person who trains cows unless you have four legs. Listen to GODHAND ONLY................Just kidding pimp

ness said:
I just started with a consistent lifting/cardio schedule. I'm not super intense just want to look/feel good. Here's my schedule- give me some feedback as far as if this looks good, if I should add anything...etc...you guys know more than me!! :p

Mon: Pull Day (pull downs, Dumbell rows, shrugs, barbell/dumbell curls)
Tues: Cardio (2 mile run)
Wed: Push Day (bench press, dumbell incline bench, seated dumbell press 4 sets tricep extensions, dumbell straight up)
Thurs: Cardio (2 mile run)
Fri/Sat: Leg Day (squats, hack squat, stiff leg dead lift, hamstring curls, seated/standing calf raises, )
:thumb:

Back