NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

DEADLIFTS (best, safest, most efficient way to do them?)

The F.u.t.u.r.e

Rep Points

DEADLIFTS (best, safest, most efficient way to do them?)

Like the subject says, I just started deadlifting yesterday and it felt soo weird..

ok so I started with the olympic bar and banged out 20 to warm up. .

then I put 45lbs/side and did 15reps
    then I went up to 4 45s and I couldn't help feeling I was going to snap my back.. The weight wasn't heavy but I felt I was doing it all wrong so I stopped... Whats the safest way to perform this exercise? For all I know, maybe I was doing it the right way but it didn't feel right! or maybe 245lbs is too heavy for someone starting to deadlift?? It just felt like my back was gonna pop (and no I have no back problems)
    "A bodybuilder once told me crack is good for cutting"

Rep Points

You want your back to be in a V - Shape and you want to jerk the bar up as fast and quick as you can.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Deadlifts do not have to be fast, it is not done in an explosive manner by most anyone at all in fact. It is not an Olympic lift and I wouldn't recommend being explosive for anyone new especially.

Do them how they feel naturally, I dont really like going under 6 reps or so anymore with these. When I start the movement I squat down near to the bar, so I start out with leg strength as opposed to trying to SLDL the weight up.

The F.u.t.u.r.e

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge
    Deadlifts do not have to be fast, it is not done in an explosive manner by most anyone at all in fact. It is not an Olympic lift and I wouldn't recommend being explosive for anyone new especially.

Do them how they feel naturally, I dont really like going under 6 reps or so anymore with these. When I start the movement I squat down near to the bar, so I start out with leg strength as opposed to trying to SLDL the weight up.
    to you drop the weights to the floor and thne lift back up? or do you go midway? bear in mind Im 6'3 and its hell going that low..lol! Plus sometimes the bar hits my knees grrr

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut2005
    Plus sometimes the bar hits my knees grrr
    I've learned that this is just the way deadlifts are.

Elite Kiki
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

to you drop the weights to the floor and thne lift back up? or do you go midway? bear in mind Im 6'3 and its hell going that low..lol! Plus sometimes the bar hits my knees grrr

Yeah, I can't avoid this and I'm 6'6.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.

Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

Rep Points

Be sure to keep your back straight and ass down for as long as possible. You will also be able to get more reps if you keep your ass down.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

If you want full results, use the full ROM. I wouldn't recommend to anyone not to use the full ROM for pretty much any movement. If you're doing it purely for bodybuilding, however, it may not be necessary to go through the whole ROM, depending on why you're doing it.

Go to exrx.net or stumptuous.com and they show you great form on the deadlift. Stumptuous even shows you the clear difference between the deadlift and SLDL. If you're not going to use your legs, then do a SLDL; if you're going to do a proper deadlift, then check out those sites and do it the right way. This is definitely a movement you want to have perfect form for. Just make sure your form can't improve before you move up in weight, and only do what's comfortable.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

There's something very appropriate about you posting in this thread...

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDeadlift
    His feet look rather close together. I've always done them with my feet at should-width. Which, if either, is the correct way?

Rep Points

You're right, they do look close together. I always do them at about shoulder width as well. I feel that, as long as it's comfortable for you, it's okay to do so long as you don't hurt yourself.

Rep Points

Go up to the bar, keep your legs shoulder width, or maybe a little bit further, depending on comfortablility.

Alternate grip the bar where comfortable.

Keep your shins directly touching the bar.

Squat down as if you were in the lowest portion of your squat motion.

Stare directly into the mirror keeping your back, legs and arms stiff and tight

Grip the bar as hard as you can and squeeze tightly.

Start lifting with your legs and then focus on pulling the bar up as your are pushing your legs up like a squat.

Lock out and then gradually return to the bottom position.

Going to heavey too fast can result in lower back pain and herniated discs...225 may not be, or feel like a lot, but if the muslces in your lower back are not strong or built up you could sustain great injury...

Try using chalk, don't use wraps unless your just going for pure aesthetics and not strength.

Try this

Bar 1x15
    95lbs 1x10
    135 1x8
    165 1x4
    185 3x8

Try that for a few weeks maybe adding 2.5lbs to each side every week or every other week...then gradually go up in weight for the same rep range...when you do that for several months you can even try going for heavier weight and lower reps...

GRADUALLY WORK INTO IT!

Squat: 5x5: 295lbs
    Bench: 1x4: 275
    Dead: 1x1: 475

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cfs3
    There's something very appropriate about you posting in this thread...

BTW, I use a shoulder-width stance.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDeadlift

BTW, I use a shoulder-width stance.

Am I supposed to lock out my knees? Currently, I don't do that.

Rep Points

you are supposed to lock your knees out if you lift for strength/power...watch andy bolton dead 933lbs and his knees are locked out...doesn't count as a lift otherwise...

Gatekepper
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I like the form in the video except I do use a wider stance and extend my back further so that I am actually leaning back, pulling the bar against me, at the top.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

How to Use HCG

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I reset at every rep which means I touch the floor and pause briefly, some people touch and go - thats similar to a dimmel dead but just not my style. You could do that for a more intense "burn" but dont expect to lift the same weights.

I'm 6'2", as long as I keep the weights in the 6-10 rep range I have no problems with deads, 5 and lower and it gets tougher for me.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Uranium powered

Rep Points

tenyearsgone has it right.

Key things for me are: Keep head up and look straight ahead.
    Make sure initial lift movement is with legs, not back.
    Keep the bar against your shins when coming up.

The F.u.t.u.r.e

Rep Points

now I know why they are called deadlifts. My whole back is killing me.lol! but its the good pain

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

now I know why they are called deadlifts. My whole back is killing me.lol! but its the good pain
    I call that felling The Bat of Physical Fitness, because it feels like someone worked me over with a bat.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMSPLTR
    tenyearsgone has it right.

Key things for me are: Keep head up and look straight ahead.
    Make sure initial lift movement is with legs, not back.
    Keep the bar against your shins when coming up.
    I have read that the movement needs to be initiated by shoving your head back into your traps. The rest of your body will follow. That doesn't mean you won't use leg drive; in reality it all happens practically simultaneously.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

cow you are right....drive your head up and back into your traps...push through the soul's of your feet...your hips should move before your knees...you should not be looking at the ground or anywhere below eye level...or else you're focusing too much on your lower back and will not be as strong in the lift resulting in injury down the line, i've done it trust me!

As far as rep ranges...definately stay higher till you get the feel and build the appropriate muscles (hams/lower back, glutes,traps/shoulders) because to be honest i've had this debate with a few people. Personally I think deadlifts are a waist if you are incorporating them for 8-12 reps like a hypertrophy/bodybuilding routine...use it for its intended purprose, as a compound movement in order to increase limit strength in that lift hence increase strength in almost every other lift!!! Eventually you'll want to work with sets of triples, doubles and singles!!!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tenxyearsxgone
    cow you are right....drive your head up and back into your traps...push through the soul's of your feet...your hips should move before your knees...you should not be looking at the ground or anywhere below eye level...or else you're focusing too much on your lower back and will not be as strong in the lift resulting in injury down the line, i've done it trust me!

As far as rep ranges...definately stay higher till you get the feel and build the appropriate muscles (hams/lower back, glutes,traps/shoulders) because to be honest i've had this debate with a few people. Personally I think deadlifts are a waist if you are incorporating them for 8-12 reps like a hypertrophy/bodybuilding routine...use it for its intended purprose, as a compound movement in order to increase limit strength in that lift hence increase strength in almost every other lift!!! Eventually you'll want to work with sets of triples, doubles and singles!!!
    I agree. I do triples to warm up and doubles for working sets. It takes very little time and I'm gaining a lot of strength in this way. It's just awesome when you're not physically growing but you're getting stronger because of your CNS's adaptations.

Rep Points

squ...awesome good stuff bro...i can't weight to get my dead over 500 for my 180lb frame i'll be psyched...once i'm benching 350 and squating 405 i'll do a hypertrophy phase and bulk up my diet...for now CNS adaption and inter/intra muscle work!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by tenxyearsxgone
    squ...awesome good stuff bro...i can't weight to get my dead over 500 for my 180lb frame i'll be psyched...once i'm benching 350 and squating 405 i'll do a hypertrophy phase and bulk up my diet...for now CNS adaption and inter/intra muscle work!
    That will be truly amazing. Good luck with that. You don't seem too far away so it should be a fairly short journey (relatively speaking of course).

Rep Points

haa thanks bro!! consistency is a bitch though!!! ever since i started student teaching in january 2004 i was never the same...i am so exhausted from these crazy kids on long island i can't get enough food to give me engergy to lift/gain size hahah but thanks!!