NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

what muscles shouldn't be worked w/other muscles on the same day?

Rep Points

Question what muscles shouldn't be worked w/other muscles on the same day?

this may be a newbie question but oh well...i've heard all this stuff like you shouldn't do biceps&back on the same day and you shouldn't do chest and shoulders on the same day..same w/chest and triceps on the same day, is any of it true? cause i was wondering if you workout your back&bi's on the sameday wouldn't your bi's be tired (worn out) from doing back before b's? and wouldn't that mean your bi's can't get worked to their fullest extent? samething w/chest and triceps, wouldn't your tri'ss be tired from doin chest?....i'm just wondering all this crap, can someone get this straightened out? for me

Rep Points

I am no expert and got most of my knowledge from the guys on here...but I will tell you what works for me. If you are going to work a large muscle group and a smaller one on the same day, then Back/BI and CHest/Tri are ideal. But I started doing Chest one day, Back one day, Legs one day, Shoulders one day, and then Bi/Tri on one day. I get plenty of rest between workouts, and for the first time in years I am progressing in strength.

Rep Points

so you do this:
    mon.chest
    tues.back
    wed.legs
    thurs.shoulders
    fri.bi's/tris?
    wheres the rest days? except sat&sun.?

Rep Points

anyone else?????????

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by kenwood
    so you do this:
    mon.chest
    tues.back
    wed.legs
    thurs.shoulders
    fri.bi's/tris?
    wheres the rest days? except sat&sun.?
    I usually take a day of rest between chest and back and legs and shoulders. And if I do flat barbell bench or incline barbell press for chest I will combine shoulders with my back day (but just do lateral and front raises..no pushes or presses). That way it gives me 3 rest days. I also take a 5 day break every 3 weeks from doing anything.

Rep Points

ok?

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

That is one of the most tried and true low frequeuncy splits out there. It is the push-pull-legs split. It certainly can be effective. There are all kinds of splits you can try, but I just would avoid mixing back and legs or hitting the same muscles two days in a row. Otherwise you will probably be fine.

I have never understood the argument that you can't work your biceps to the full after doing compound pulling movements. Fatigue is cumulative. It just won't require quite as much isolation work to fully exhaust the muscle.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    That is one of the most tried and true low frequeuncy splits out there. It is the push-pull-legs split. It certainly can be effective. There are all kinds of splits you can try, but I just would avoid mixing back and legs or hitting the same muscles two days in a row. Otherwise you will probably be fine.

I have never understood the argument that you can't work your biceps to the full after doing compound pulling movements. Fatigue is cumulative. It just won't require quite as much isolation work to fully exhaust the muscle.
    I always thought that it was you can't stress a muscle as much when you do chest/shoulders for example.

Say you bench, then do some dips, then start your shoulder stuff, your press is going to be less than it usually is, whcih would mean your shoulders don't experience as much stress due to heavy weight. They still get fatigued, perhaps even more, but you just can't use as much weight.
    @ March 30
    DEADLIFT - 210kg

Be a lamp unto yourselves... seek salvation alone in the truth – Buddha

primeau

Rep Points

The only muscles IMO that souldn't be worked together are core muscles (back/chest/legs)

But even precious Arnold worked chest and back simul.

I have often thought about doing a chest/back just to see how big of a pump I could get.

...And justice for all.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mr_oo3
    I always thought that it was you can't stress a muscle as much when you do chest/shoulders for example.

Say you bench, then do some dips, then start your shoulder stuff, your press is going to be less than it usually is, whcih would mean your shoulders don't experience as much stress due to heavy weight. They still get fatigued, perhaps even more, but you just can't use as much weight.
    This is EXACTLY what i was wondering about too! The same in relation to doing tris after chest. Cowpimp anything?

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

That's because the muscles already bore more weight on the heavier compound movements. That is why I suggest doing the big compound movements first.

People think too much in terms of exercises being for one body part. If you start a push day with the bench press, then you have already exposed your chest, front delts, and triceps to plenty of stimulus necessary for strength and size increases. The bench press is not a chest movement. That's stupid. It does a lot more than stimulate your chest.

If you need to prioritize vertical pressing movements, then start your next push day with some overhead pressing. Who cares about strength in isolation arm movements? That isn't real strength, that is bodybuilding exercise pussy strength. In terms of strength with isolation movements, your only concern should be the carryover to real weightlifting movements.

1RM Videos

Catabolic Idiot

Rep Points

CP's got it right, start compound first and then prioritize based on your goals. I'm addicted to push pull, and alternate my starting point every two weeks or so but never start with tris or bi's, that's a recepie for disaster IMO. I favor grouping similar movements and muscles to really blast them, it also requires less volume and allows for more rest and growth. My arms have really responded to this method, I do 2 or less isolation arm exercises at the end of my push/pull days.

Rep Points

Mon: Chest
    Tues: Bi - Tri
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Back / Shoulders
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Legs

primeau

Rep Points

no legs?

Rep Points

Had to go back and put it in, pressed the wrong button

...And justice for all.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

People think too much in terms of exercises being for one body part. If you start a push day with the bench press, then you have already exposed your chest, front delts, and triceps to plenty of stimulus necessary for strength and size increases. The bench press is not a chest movement. That's stupid. It does a lot more than stimulate your chest.
    So would hitting DB military press right after bench be overtraining for you shoulders? Or hitting pulldowns/skullcrushers right after be overtraining for your tris?

primeau

Rep Points

no...especially if your goal is strength.

You can always do inclines or steep inclines instead of military presses

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ST240
    So would hitting DB military press right after bench be overtraining for you shoulders? Or hitting pulldowns/skullcrushers right after be overtraining for your tris?
    It depends on the volume and intensity you use. However, I seriously doubt it in most cases. Also, I do believe in training upper body exercises in both horizontal and vertical planes for strength purposes.

1RM Videos

Rep Points

I train chest, delts and triceps.....in that order..
    8-9 sets of chest before deltoids will cut your shoulder strength a bit but when you bench and incline you are hitting the delts....but it doesn't matter, you still fully work the deltoids.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

I am Rollo Tomassee..
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That's because the muscles already bore more weight on the heavier compound movements. That is why I suggest doing the big compound movements first.

If you need to prioritize vertical pressing movements, then start your next push day with some overhead pressing. Who cares about strength in isolation arm movements? That isn't real strength, that is bodybuilding exercise pussy strength. In terms of strength with isolation movements, your only concern should be the carryover to real weightlifting movements.

Hmm. But do your synergist muscles end up getting exhausted in a way as in if you were to do a high rep low intesity workout?

For example, you do flat bench/incline bench/DB benchs etc...are your triceps exhausted from doing so many of those bench reps? And since they are synergists, they dont handle the majority of the weight the chest does, so are they doing just a butt load of reps with low intesity?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA
    Hmm. But do your synergist muscles end up getting exhausted in a way as in if you were to do a high rep low intesity workout?
    You could just do a lower intensity workout with the compound movement. You don't always have to lift heavy with compound movements...

For example, you do flat bench/incline bench/DB benchs etc...are your triceps exhausted from doing so many of those bench reps?
    Whether or not they are totally exhausted depends on what your weak point is in these movements. For example, if you are weak at the bottom of the bench press, then you might not fully exhaust the triceps because you will fail at the bottom of the lift before the triceps reach failure. However, you don't have to be reaching failure to stimulate hypertrophy or strength gains.

And since they are synergists, they dont handle the majority of the weight the chest does, so are they doing just a butt load of reps with low intesity?
    The second part of the question doesn't really make sense. They are doing whatever you choose to do with them...

However, that is nonsense to say that the chest handles the majority of the weight. In fact, once the barbell gets several inches off your chest your triceps become the prime movers, although they were active from the start.

1RM Videos

Rep Points

My advice is simply change the order of your routine constantly. I also believe in working whatever body part that you're seeing stagnation as far as growth is concerned first.
    "I may not be the best looking guy in the bar, but I'm the only one talking to you" - J King

Rep Points

I'm not sure there is a correct answere here. It all depends on your type of training. Some people do full body workouts 3 times a week. Not sure but Patrick I think is either doing this or was doing this at one time. The only thing about full body workouts is you want to change exercises every workout. in other words if Mon you do Flat bench, Wed you might do incl bench or Db's for chest. But you will work every muscle the day of the full body workout. So can your question be answered....WHO KNOWS

Tough