Time to face the jury (and myself)

Page 1 of 232 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Time to face the jury (and myself)

Well decided since I'm turning 32 in a month that it's time I faced the jury here and started a journal.

A little background first. I have always been thin (averaged 110lbs) and never had problems staying thin and fit looking until Feb 2003, when I started to pack on pounds and became a bitch from hell. Thats when I learned I had a large tumor on my thyroid which was not only causing weight gain, but major hormonal imbalances and severe mood swings. July 2003, my throat was sliced and I kissed the cancerous tumor as well as my entire thyroid goodbye. I underwent radiation and began taking Levoxyl. Two years later I am still cancer free . Even though I had somehow managed to keep my weight stable (115 +/- lb), I felt I had lost my nice tight body I had once had so in May of this year I joined a gym, got a personal trainer and started to seriously exercise.

Now...Overall I am seeing progress in my body (muscles becoming defined, harder), but I wasn't loosing any weight even though I was doing cardio 5-6 days a week and eating calorie defecient diet. Got into endo and doc increased my Levoxyl dose as it was too low .

So here are my goals:
    1. Drop atleast 5lbs
    2. Decrease body fat 5%
    3. train as if I'm going to compete in fitness
    4. clean diet up/break habit of eating only 3x a day

I will be posting my training, however, I'm not ready to post my diet as it still in need of work (not enough armour in the world to protect me from the jury here if I posted diet ). I've cleaned a lot of crap out of diet and I am eating cleaner, but I still can't get myself to eat the 5-6 meals a day (old habits die very hard ).

Stats (10/29): 31 yrs old (turning 32 Nov 29th)
    5'4" 118 lbs 20%BF
    chest 34
    waist 25
    hips 34
    arms 11
    quads 21
    calf 13.5
    shoulders 37

Should Add: I take 125mcg Levoxyl daily in AM
    Kelp 2x times a day
    Calcium with Vit D (1200mg Ca, 400 I.U Vit D) daily in PM
    Last edited by Devlin; 10-29-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

10/27
    Treadmill: 10 minutes @ 10% incline 2.5 speed
    20 minutes @ 15% incline 3.0 speed

Recumbant bike: 30 minutes level 3

Total cardio: 1 hr

10/28(Abs & Back)

Abs:
    Crunches: 3x30
    R. oblique crunches: 3x30
    L. oblique crunches: 3x30
    Straight leg lifts: 3x30
    Seated twists with 6lb medicine ball: 3x20
    Single arm side bends: 10lb*1x20
    20lb*1x20
    25lb*1x15

Hyperextensions: BW*1x15
    BW+10lb*1x15
    BW+15lb*1x15

Wide grip Lat pull down: 40lb*1x15
    55lb*1x15
    60lb*1x12

Closed Grip Lat Pull down: 40lb*1x15
    55lb*1x15
    60lb*1x12

Seated low cable Row: 40lb*1x15
    55lb*1x12
    70lb*1x10

Bent Over Single Arm row: 15lb*1x15
    20lb*1x15
    25lb*1x12

SLDL: 40lb*1x15
    60lb*2x15

Cardio: Total 60 minutes
    Treadmill: 30 minutes (10 min 10%@3.0, 15 min 15% @3.3, 5 min 10% @2.5)
    Recumbant bike: 30 minutes Level 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

10/29 (legs with PT)

Warmup:
    Treadmill: 15 minutes 10% incline @ 2.5 speed

Inner Adductors: 110lb*3x20
    Outer Abductors: 110lb*3x20

Squats using Freemotion assist machine: 160lb*1x15
    180lb*1x12
    200lb*2x12

Hamstring curls: 40lb*1x15
    50lb*1x12
    50lb*1x10(hit failure here, but had hit hamstrings day before)

Wall Stands: 3x1-2 minutes

Cardio:
    Recumbant bike: 20 minutes level 3

Lookin' for abs !
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

I will be posting my training, however, I'm not ready to post my diet as it still in need of work (not enough armour in the world to protect me from the jury here if I posted diet ). I've cleaned a lot of crap out of diet and I am eating cleaner, but I still can't get myself to eat the 5-6 meals a day (old habits die very hard ).
    Oh come on , Nobody here bites ( at least not that hard ) . Post that diet . There are so many here that could and would assist you if they had something to start with.

Good Luck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks gwcaton.

The main problem with my diet which only I can fix, is that if I'm not scheduled to work, I tend to not eat until the afternoon and after I hit the gym.

On a non work day ( cringing here): I start (around 9am) with 2 cups of coffee sugar and low carb creamer a must.
    Gym around noon then when get home: brown rice with red beans and either grilled chicken or lean ground beef (4% fat).
    Earlier evening: single serving veges (corn, broccoli, red pepper mix or green beans or peas or sweet potato).
    Mid evening snack: popcorn or snack bar or yogurt.

On a work day: 2 cups coffee starting around 7am
    mid morning: snack bar
    lunch: meal replacement drink or yogurt
    after work (anywhere from 5-8pm or later) hit gym then: brown rice with red beans and either grilled chicken or lean ground beef (4% fat)
    evening: single serving veges (corn, broccoli, red pepper mix or green beans or peas or sweet potato)
    snackopcorn or snack bar

I drink sweet decaf ice tea, but cut back on the tea a lot plus drink lots of water.

I would say in general I take in min of 1000 cal and max 2000 cal with average being about 1500 cal a day.

Squishy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

That's a lot of liquid cals you are getting. I'd suggest doing some serious charting and find out for sure what you take in.

Congrats on beating the big C. If you can get thru that, you can get thru improving your habits. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pylon
    That's a lot of liquid cals you are getting. I'd suggest doing some serious charting and find out for sure what you take in.

Congrats on beating the big C. If you can get thru that, you can get thru improving your habits. Good luck!
    Yeah I know. My boss teases me about my liquid diet frequently, but it's kinda hard to heat food up and eat when one works for a mobile equine vet specializing in breeding toroughbreds and it is not uncommon to be on the road 12-16 hours a day.

I try and take snacks like grapes. I'm also thinking some of Emma's protein shake ideas sound good for a change.

By the way beating cancer was the easy part, dealing with the hormonal imbalances was the hardest part. I'll never screw with my hormones after that experience.

Change doesn't happen overnight and breaking my habits isn't going to happen overnight either. Trying to short cut will not help in the long run so I take it day by day, one change at a time.

Squishy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Devlin
    Yeah I know. My boss teases me about my liquid diet frequently, but it's kinda hard to heat food up and eat when one works for a mobile equine vet specializing in breeding toroughbreds and it is not uncommon to be on the road 12-16 hours a day.

I try and take snacks like grapes. I'm also thinking some of Emma's protein shake ideas sound good for a change.

By the way beating cancer was the easy part, dealing with the hormonal imbalances was the hardest part. I'll never screw with my hormones after that experience.

Change doesn't happen overnight and breaking my habits isn't going to happen overnight either. Trying to short cut will not help in the long run so I take it day by day, one change at a time.
    Sounds like you are pretty centered. You'll be fine.

If you are into cooking at all, you can try some of the homemade protein bar ideas floating around. They can help in a pinch. Otherwise the liquids are not so bad. I really like the Instone ones, though they can get pricey.

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Thats when I learned I had a large tumor on my thyroid which was not only causing weight gain, but major hormonal imbalances and severe mood swings. July 2003, my throat was sliced and I kissed the cancerous tumor as well as my entire thyroid goodbye. I underwent radiation and began taking Levoxyl. Two years later I am still cancer free
    Devlin, congratulations on beating Cancer. In 2002 I had a neurofibroma tumor removed from my kidney. It was the size of a tennis ball. Fortunately it was benign, but I didn't know this until 8 weeks after the diagnosis. So, I understand the anxiety that comes with the unknown and am very happy to hear of your postitive results. Changes your perspective on a lot of things doesn't it? It bothers me to even type or say the C word. I wish you the best with this and your goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker
    Devlin, congratulations on beating Cancer. In 2002 I had a neurofibroma tumor removed from my kidney. It was the size of a tennis ball. Fortunately it was benign, but I didn't know this until 8 weeks after the diagnosis. So, I understand the anxiety that comes with the unknown and am very happy to hear of your postitive results. Changes your perspective on a lot of things doesn't it? It bothers me to even type or say the C word. I wish you the best with this and your goals.
    Thanks boilermaker.

My tumor was the size of a chestnut and the biopsy was "suspicious of cancer". I didn't learn until I woke up in recovery after surgery that I had full blown cancer. Doc said another 1-3 months and it would have spread . I can't say I had anxiety, but the hormonal rollercoaster which took way too many deep dives into depression was the worst part. The entire experience changed my perspective on things, mostly to just live each day and take each day as it comes. As for being affected by typing or saying cancer, it doesn't bother me. Guess because I've beat it once already. I know I'm at risk for cancer returning and I'm at higher risk for breast cancer. I get blood screenings for cancer yearly, but that doesn't get my nerves rattled as much as the annual body scans

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Yeah, I get the good old abdominal cat scan every February. Not something I look forward to either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Yeah, I get the good old abdominal cat scan every February. Not something I look forward to either.
    Oh if only my annual body scan was so easy

I get the choice of either stopping thyroid meds for minimun of 3 weeks before the scan or staying on meds and getting 2 shots of bovine TSH which hurt as bad as some of the guys on here say their gear shots hurt. Then my scan takes atleast 45 minutes of laying completely still while gamma cams scan entire body. But oh well such is life, it could be worse.

On a Mission!
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Devlin
    Oh if only my annual body scan was so easy

I get the choice of either stopping thyroid meds for minimun of 3 weeks before the scan or staying on meds and getting 2 shots of bovine TSH which hurt as bad as some of the guys on here say their gear shots hurt. Then my scan takes atleast 45 minutes of laying completely still while gamma cams scan entire body. But oh well such is life, it could be worse.

No, I don't have to do that. I do get to drink 3 glasses of Barium. And some people think whey powder is hard to get down . Ah well, at least we don't have worse things going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

No, I don't have to do that. I do get to drink 3 glasses of Barium. And some people think whey powder is hard to get down . Ah well, at least we don't have worse things going on.
    Been there done that too. 5 days after my initial radiation treatment I came down with a nasty GI virus and landed in the ER for dehydration. They were worried the radiation had screwed my intestines up so it wasn't bad enough I was puking and crapping at the same time, but then I had to down 2 glasses of barium . Lucky for me it was just a virus and it passed.

Your right we could have worst things going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

10/30-Day off

Quads and inner thighs killing me today, but it will be worth it. Got in a half hour walk while window shopping today otherwise it a day to bum around. Back in the gym tomorrow for another training day with PT.