organic food vs regular

Rep Points

organic food vs regular

How many of you guys buy organic foods vs. regular. I try to eat healthy and read up on nutrition, and some of the info out there is scary, what the FDA allow us to consume.

Meat and milk that is full of antibiotics and hormones, pesticides on fruits and veggies. All kinds of chemicals and preservatives, dyes, and genetically engineered foods. Yikes. I go through phases where I will buy organic foods for a little bit, and then I stop because it's just not practical.

1) The cost is soooooo high. I just can't afford it. You shouldn't have to be wealthy to be healthy!

2) The selection is always terrible in the organic produce section, there are not a lot of choices in New England, especially in the winter. The stuff that they do have out always looks all brown and half rotten.

So do you guys shop in the regular section, or at the organic store? What do you think of all the questionable stuff in regular foods? Does it bother you, or not? Let's hear those opinions.

Rep Points

I do organic, it's much better for you...

John Mayer? Yes please.

Rep Points

Yeah, as much as I would LOVE to eat all organic food, my parents don't want to pay more for it so i'm screwed. I just try to eat healthy in every other aspect, including cutting meat and dairy out of my diet in order to make up. So yeah, organic food all the way.

Rep Points

if your worried about dairy you can always try soy products

Rep Points

I agree with everything you said. Price is a factor though.
    I'm lucky that my parents have a MASSIVE garden so from june-sept., I'm eating their veggies. This is great b/c I know excatly what went in them and they never use pesticides.
    What you could do with dairy that I do is buy organic but mix it with water. You really don't notice that much of a differnece, esp. if you are used to drinking skim milk anyways.
    I guess relying on soya products and protein powerders could help in omitting meat but I'm not ready to lost my chicken or tuna. I've had fresh, just killed chicken, free range, no hormones b/cmy aunt has a farm and what a difference. It's scary b/c the chicken at the store does not taste that way!!
    I know I read an article somewhere, if only I could remember where, that listed specific fruits and veggies that retain pesticides more than average. I remember strawberries was one of them so I always wash them really well, but really if its in the fruit, its in there.
    What can you do except try your best really. If you sat down and thought of everything that could kill you, you'ld never leave the house
    Good point though. Maybe we should demand the government place these organice regulations on all produce for the same price?

John Mayer? Yes please.

Rep Points

Yeah, as far as dairy, I just don't have any. I don't like milk anyways, and I think I'm lactose intolerance. However, that's a perfectly good reason not to consume something, because if it makes you feel bad, then it probably isn't good for you. But yeah, since I have stopped eating meat I have actually enjoyed the new meals I am trying far more than the meat I used to eat.

Rep Points

Maybe we should demand the government place these organice regulations on all produce for the same price?
    won't work because it costs more to produce true organics. you can't use most fertilizers so the yield will not be as large. a lot is lost to various pests and fungi.
    it's not about hanging on. it's about letting go.