• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

My bench is drinkin haterade

Zac_Champigny

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Over the summer, I was lifting for a good 2 months, then got a job as a busboy and had to stop lifting due to how hard the work was. I'm about 5'7 and 147 pounds. The rest of what I am about to say is gonna make me feel like a weekling, but I really would like some help, so here goes. I started off benching 3 sets of 8 at 75 pounds. In the 2 months I was lifting, I got up to about 3 sets of 8 at 105 pounds, but was pretty much stuck there for a 3 week period. After stopping lifting mid July, I started back up again early October with my friends. Since I was doing a little bit lower rep, 3x6, I decided to go up a little bit in weight. I started off at 115 3x6. I have basically been stuck there since I have gone for 125, but can only really get it up four times first set, 3/4 second, and once or twice 3rd. It is pretty frustrating, becuase its not like I have been lifting for months and have hit a wall, its like I'm just starting and are not seeing any improvement. My curl was at 3x6 at 30 at first in october, now its 3x6 at 60. Most other excersizes I have seen improvement in too. I don't overwork myself, having started doing chest/tris once a week and have gone up to 2 to see if it helps me in any way. It hasn't. Tips would be <3. Maybe a different way to approach the bench all together? I appreciate the help

I think pretty much everyone here will say the same thing:
Be consistent...
EAT EAT EAT
and
Do more basic core building exercises like pull ups/chins, dips, rows, squats
Your body will thank you by getting stronger!
Someone please elaborate
Anyone?,
:hmmm:
P.S. Be patient and give it time :)

whats more important being a bus boy ,,,,,or having some muscle????????/

a couple of things. Lay off the flat bench for a couple of weeks. Use Dumbells only for that period of time. Concentrate more on squats, overhead presses and deadlifts during that time.

Make sure you start eating real good. Try to take in at least 200 grams of protein, 350 grams of low gly carbs and 80-90 grams of good fats. This diet here will help you in strength. After a couple of weeks go back to your reg bench. The first time back you may not be any stronger but the second time I think you'll blow past that sticking point.
Try something like this...example
1st week back
105 x 8 rest 3 min repeat
2nd time back
110 x 8 rest 3 min's repeat
3rd time back
115 x 8 rest 3 min's repeat
and continue to add 5 lbs everytime you lift staying with the 8 reps for 3-4 sets.

Before you know it you'll be @ 150 lbs for those reps and will continue to get stronger if you eat properly

Is it ok to rest for 3 mins because I thought someone should only do it for most 2 mins. That plan looks good for me as well Tough. Thanks

FranktheTank said:
Is it ok to rest for 3 mins because I thought someone should only do it for most 2 mins. That plan looks good for me as well Tough. Thanks
people say, whether its true or not, that if your focusing in on strength you want to rest longer (3-5 mins) but if your focusing on hypertrophy that you should rest shorter (1-2 mins)

Alright I guess I am going for strength...for now.

aceshigh said:
whats more important being a bus boy ,,,,,or having some muscle????????/

Um, well when your going to college and need money, being a busboy. 15 dollars an hour for a 19 year old kid goes far when your working 50/60 hours a week.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do the dumbell thing for a 2/3 weeks and then head back to the flat bench. As for eating, I have been doing pretty good cooking in my dorm, but sometimes your forced to eat at the cafeteria which very much limits your choices on healthy foods. I'll do a little post after a few weeks to tell you guys how it worked out.

Why don't you layout your routine for us? Perhaps we can offer some suggestions as to how you can modify it to give your strength a jump start.

IML Gear Cream!
My friend gave me this, but I think he may have found it on this forum. I'm not positve.

Monday
Lats/Traps/Low Back/Abs
- Rack dead lift...3 x 3-6
- Bent row...3 x 4-6
- Weighted chin...2-3 x 4-6
- CG seated row...2-3 x 4-6
- Twist Crunches???2 x Failure
- Ab Curl Machine???3 x 20
- Roman Chair Leg Raises???2 x Failure

Tuesday
Bis/Tris/Forearms/Calves
- Barbell curl...2 x 4-6
- Preacher curl...2 x 4-6
- Hammer curl...1-2 x 4-6
- CG bench press...3 x 4-6
- Skull crushers...2 x 4-6
- Single arm dumbbell extension...1-2 x 4-6
- Standing Calf Raise???2 x 4-6
- Leg Press for Calves???2 x 4-6

Thursday
Chest/Delts/Abs
- Dumbbell bench press...3 x 4-6
- Incline press...3 x 4-6
- Weighted dips...2 x 4-6
- Military press...2-3 x 4-6
- Upright row...2-3 x 4-6
- "Cheat" lateral...2 x 4-6
- Twist Crunches???2 x Failure
- Ab Curl Machine???3 x 20
- Roman Chair Leg Raises???2 x Failure

Friday
Quads/Hams/Calves
- lunges...3 x 4-6
- Leg press...3 x 4-6
- Single leg extension...2 x 4-6
- Lying leg curl...3 x 4-6
- Standing Calf Raise???2 x 4-6
- Leg Press for Calves???2 x 4-6

I can't sqaut due to back problems.

That's a sample power week from gopro's P-RR-S routine I think. Is this what you are doing now, or is this what you plan on doing? Because I don't see BB bench press anywhere in there.

soxmuscle said:
people say, whether its true or not, that if your focusing in on strength you want to rest longer (3-5 mins) but if your focusing on hypertrophy that you should rest shorter (1-2 mins)
I always heard this, but I somewhat disagree. For me, resting less than that is fine for heavy work (from 30-60s). I think it depends on the individual a lot - I usually feel very ready quite soon after a set, but I don't time it and stick to it either, so if I feel like I need more rest, I wait until I think I'm ready.

As for the real topic, if you're still stuck after following the above advice, identify your sticking point and work at it with the proper exercises.

CowPimp said:
That's a sample power week from gopro's P-RR-S routine I think. Is this what you are doing now, or is this what you plan on doing? Because I don't see BB bench press anywhere in there.

My friends won't do dumbell bench press, and since my schools gym is extremely busy, the only way I really get any chance at benching is if I do regular benching at the same time as my friends grabbing it.

your routine looks pretty good.

if you seem to be stuck in a rut, so you need to shock your body by doing something new.
a few points to consider:

try eating more

try switching up how many repetitions you go for. one week go for 8-10 reps, the next week go for 4-6 reps. i'd recommend taking a look at GoPro's Power/Rep Range/Shock routine. The shock week might not work since you work out at school, but it's something to consider.

switch up the order you do your exercises in a given day. don't always bench first if you can avoid it. even try benching at the end of your workout some days.

switch up exercises week to week. maybe... on your 4-6 reps days, do regular bench and incline bench; on your 8-10 rep days, do machine bench then flat bench, or something like that.

every 8-10 weeks, switch up which days you work on which body parts, and design a new split.

if you want your bench to go up, max out. try maxing out every 2-3 weeks.

you don't have to do all of these things, but just some new stuff to try.

the main point here is, try something new. don't do the same thing every week, or you won't go anywhere.

Zac_Champigny said:
My friends won't do dumbell bench press, and since my schools gym is extremely busy, the only way I really get any chance at benching is if I do regular benching at the same time as my friends grabbing it.
Then you have a bunch of loosers for friends. Solve the problem by having your parents get you a membership to a gym for Xmas. If you remember nothing else in your life, remember this one thing
"Benching to gain size and or strength is a beautiful thing, benching for impressing and or bragging is an ugly thing".

There is nothing wrong with using DUMBELLS and you should know this first hand as you seem to hang around them.

Tough

how on earth do you hit your biceps after hitting your back the day before?

Zac_Champigny said:
I agree with TOM on this one. I've always felt that DBs were superior to the BB in terms of usable strength. You have to use much more stabilization and an increased ROM, thus requiring much more strength for a given weight. Besides, just because your friends don't do it doesn't mean you can't - none of my friends even work out, but I do it religiously...

soxmuscle said:
how on earth do you hit your biceps after hitting your back the day before?
Not sure whom this is address to. I'm currently into a different type of training. As weird as it seems, you hit in order
day 1
biceps
forearms
calves
hams
quads

Day 2
Chest
shoulders
triceps
back width
Back thickness

Day 3
Repeat day 1
Day 4
Repeat day 2

So if you work out 4 days a week, you hit bi's today and back tomorrow. I use the three day training so I realistically hit bi's 3 times a week counting back exercises

it was directed towards zac, but thats pretty interesting tough. I always feel like my biceps are more sore after a back day than after a bicep day. that obviously doesn't hold true for you, im assuming?

IML Gear Cream!
soxmuscle said:
it was directed towards zac, but thats pretty interesting tough. I always feel like my biceps are more sore after a back day than after a bicep day. that obviously doesn't hold true for you, im assuming?
Not no more. About the only thing that gets me sometimes is the pec's and quads getting a little sore when movinng up with more weight

interesting? is it the steroids that prevents the soreness?

I still don't understand the title...
How can you bench drink "haterade" and where can I get some? :lol:

myCATpowerlifts said:
I still don't understand the title...
How can you bench drink "haterade" and where can I get some? :lol:

It's a joke. When something is "hatin' on you" which is a stupid slang term, it can also be drinkin "Hater-ade" It's basically stupid and nerdy.

Back