25% Off Black Friday Sale

how does this rank as a pre-workout meal?

Rep Points

how does this rank as a pre-workout meal?

quite simply, it's the Powerbar ProteinPlus bar. i'm thinking of using it as my usual pre-workout meal (i prefer whey shakes for post-workout). i happen to like the taste, find it to be pretty filling, and the stats looked pretty good (at least to me).

calories: 290
    fat: 5g
    total carb: 38g
    sugars: 18g
    protein: 24g (in order: whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, soy protein isolate)

the label also boasts "5.2g Branch Chain Amino Acids, 4.6g Glutamine, 17 Vitamins & Minerals".

would that make a good pre-workout meal? or can i do better? does anybody have a favorite pre-workout meal that they think would work better?

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

bars = glorified candy
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

Rep Points

is that solely because of the sugar? if one is exercising at a high intensity for an hour or more, is 18g of sugar really something to avoid?

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

bars should pretty much be avoided unless you've got an emergency situation IMO (ie. stuck on an airport runway). it's not only the sugar...check the additional ingredients, loads of fun.

why not oatmeal and eggs (whites) or somthing else of substance?
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The13ig13adWolf
    bars should pretty much be avoided unless you've got an emergency situation IMO (ie. stuck on an airport runway). it's not only the sugar...check the additional ingredients, loads of fun.

why not oatmeal and eggs (whites) or somthing else of substance?
    Yeah let me whip out my hot plate and skillet in the locker room
    so I can make some eggs and oats -

Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey Man
    Yeah let me whip out my hot plate and skillet in the locker room
    so I can make some eggs and oats -
    what's wrong with that?

he didnt' say anything about a locker room...

Magical Apelikemenace
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

what's wrong with that?

he didnt' say anything about a locker room...
    I know, I'm just giving you shit - ... Good morning

(Was he a 25 year old he or a she?)

Have Problems?... Chances are its due to overpopulation
    Save The Oceans, Save the Planet, Save Your Family, Save Yourself!

Rep Points

cottage cheese, 2 slices wheat bread with T. of jelly

Rep Points

Bars are pretty crappy and it's mainly due to the glycerine added. There are some healthier bars out ther. Look for Trioplex and a few others like that. They are not to bad for when you are in a pinch for time. Just watch the ingredients that are in them. The less ingredients, and ingredients from words you know the better.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Dookie

Rep Points

I certainly don't condone using bars as a staple to ones diet but I eat at least 3 a day. They help me get my calories up and there ease of use can't be beat. Obviously avoid the crappy bars. I use Trioplex and Met-rx bars.

Rep Points

thank you for all team work in ironmagazine

CRAPTASTIC!!!

Rep Points

A good deal is a protien shake(i prefer 100% whey) and 2 slices of whole grain bread. Tadow!!! Protien, Carbs, low fat,fiber instead of sugar, and fluids. Assuming you buy good bread you are lookin at 200 cals in the bread 100 in shake and about 90 in the milk thats almost 400 low fat callories and you won't feel like yor buzzin on sugar bloated to high heavins. If energy is an issue stop by a coffe stand a get a 12oz drip black.
    Today I was inline at the grocery store and saw a magzine that said it had 44 shortcuts for getting big!!!! Holey moly my life has changed no more hardwork and dedication for me ther are shortcuts!!!!!!!

http://stuorgs.uidaho.edu/~dhbike/pics/TRIKE.bmp

Rep Points

well how about a Heaping bowl of wheaties with a lot of milk... glass of OJ, Multi, E, C, Fish Oil Cap.... i seem to have plenty of energy for my workout everyday... and i know im gonna get shit about the oj but i like the boost in energy i get from the sugar in it otherwise i normally stay away from fruit juice all together
    Who needs OTC supplements other than Vitamins when theres so much god damned FOOD!?!?!

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I generally avoid protein bars. They are overpriced and filled with bizzare preservatives and such. I used to buy Trioplex bars; they are pretty good as far as packaged MRPs go.

A pre-workout meal should be similar to the composition of a post-workout meal. High in carbohydrates and protein and low in fat. However, I would generally consume more complex carbohydrates before the workout and more simple carbohydrates after the workout if you are going for an insulin spike. The recommended ratio of carbsrotein is generally around 2:1 for both of these meals.

Here is my pre-workout meal as an example:

1/2 cup oats
    8oz juice
    20G brewer's yeast
    1 scoop whey

There's something like 60g of carbs, 35g of protein, and 5g of fat. That's an estimate off the top of my head, but pretty close I'm sure.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey Man
    I know, I'm just giving you shit - ... Good morning

(Was he a 25 year old he or a she?)
    we're gonna fight...

good question.

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    I generally avoid protein bars. They are overpriced and filled with bizzare preservatives and such. I used to buy Trioplex bars; they are pretty good as far as packaged MRPs go.

A pre-workout meal should be similar to the composition of a post-workout meal. High in carbohydrates and protein and low in fat. However, I would generally consume more complex carbohydrates before the workout and more simple carbohydrates after the workout if you are going for an insulin spike. The recommended ratio of carbsrotein is generally around 2:1 for both of these meals.

Here is my pre-workout meal as an example:

1/2 cup oats
    8oz juice
    20G brewer's yeast
    1 scoop whey

There's something like 60g of carbs, 35g of protein, and 5g of fat. That's an estimate off the top of my head, but pretty close I'm sure.
    pre doesn't have to be protein/carbs. it can also be protein/fat as it depends on yout totals. not to mention, the success of your workout isn't a result of what you ate just prior. it's a result of what you've eaten since your last workout.

Rep Points

True, you don't have to have carbs pre-workout, but pre-workout carbs will provide some energy and be used up quicker.

I focus my carb meals around my workout.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

pre doesn't have to be protein/carbs. it can also be protein/fat as it depends on yout totals. not to mention, the success of your workout isn't a result of what you ate just prior. it's a result of what you've eaten since your last workout.
    It doesn't have to be, but studies are now coming out indicating that pre-workout nutrition is just as important or moreso than post-workout nutrition. These studies also indicate the importance of carbohydrates pre-workout.

There are definitely other factors that contribute to what you need to eat before a meal. For example, if you won't be working out for 90 minutes and your workout lasts another 90 minutes, then you probably are going to want to ingest some fats in that meal to make sure you blood sugar levels don't plummet toward the end of your workout.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by garethhe
    quite simply, it's the Powerbar ProteinPlus bar. i'm thinking of using it as my usual pre-workout meal (i prefer whey shakes for post-workout). i happen to like the taste, find it to be pretty filling, and the stats looked pretty good (at least to me).

calories: 290
    fat: 5g
    total carb: 38g
    sugars: 18g
    protein: 24g (in order: whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, soy protein isolate)

the label also boasts "5.2g Branch Chain Amino Acids, 4.6g Glutamine, 17 Vitamins & Minerals".

would that make a good pre-workout meal? or can i do better? does anybody have a favorite pre-workout meal that they think would work better?
    Not bad but a snickers would be better.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Since i workout in the very early morning, I'll give you my take as I am usually in the gym at 4 in the morning, an hour after I wake up.

Here's my staple for the last 2+ years:
    8oz OJ
    Vanilla whey (50g)
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup all bran
    banana, or 1 cup blueberries, or 1 cup strawberries
    1 tbsp wheat germ
    splenda

As for supps-since I'm in a mass phase for the next year and a half;
    CEE-before and after
    Tribulus
    1g of fish oil, along with other times in the day
    MSM
    Vitamin C,E and a multi
    digestive enzymes
    espresso
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp
    It doesn't have to be, but studies are now coming out indicating that pre-workout nutrition is just as important or moreso than post-workout nutrition. These studies also indicate the importance of carbohydrates pre-workout.

There are definitely other factors that contribute to what you need to eat before a meal. For example, if you won't be working out for 90 minutes and your workout lasts another 90 minutes, then you probably are going to want to ingest some fats in that meal to make sure you blood sugar levels don't plummet toward the end of your workout.

~