• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

how does this rank as a pre-workout meal?

garethhe

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
quite simply, it's the Powerbar ProteinPlus bar. i'm thinking of using it as my usual pre-workout meal (i prefer whey shakes for post-workout). i happen to like the taste, find it to be pretty filling, and the stats looked pretty good (at least to me).

calories: 290
fat: 5g
total carb: 38g
sugars: 18g
protein: 24g (in order: whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, soy protein isolate)

the label also boasts "5.2g Branch Chain Amino Acids, 4.6g Glutamine, 17 Vitamins & Minerals".

would that make a good pre-workout meal? or can i do better? does anybody have a favorite pre-workout meal that they think would work better?

bars = glorified candy

is that solely because of the sugar? if one is exercising at a high intensity for an hour or more, is 18g of sugar really something to avoid?

bars should pretty much be avoided unless you've got an emergency situation IMO (ie. stuck on an airport runway). it's not only the sugar...check the additional ingredients, loads of fun.

why not oatmeal and eggs (whites) or somthing else of substance?

The13ig13adWolf said:
bars should pretty much be avoided unless you've got an emergency situation IMO (ie. stuck on an airport runway). it's not only the sugar...check the additional ingredients, loads of fun.

why not oatmeal and eggs (whites) or somthing else of substance?
Yeah let me whip out my hot plate and skillet in the locker room
so I can make some eggs and oats - :rolleyes::lol:

The Monkey Man said:
Yeah let me whip out my hot plate and skillet in the locker room
so I can make some eggs and oats - :rolleyes::lol:
what's wrong with that?

he didnt' say anything about a locker room...

The13ig13adWolf said:
what's wrong with that?

he didnt' say anything about a locker room...
I know, I'm just giving you shit - :flipoff:... Good morning ;)

(Was he a 25 year old he or a she?)

cottage cheese, 2 slices wheat bread with T. of jelly

Bars are pretty crappy and it's mainly due to the glycerine added. There are some healthier bars out ther. Look for Trioplex and a few others like that. They are not to bad for when you are in a pinch for time. Just watch the ingredients that are in them. The less ingredients, and ingredients from words you know the better.

I certainly don't condone using bars as a staple to ones diet but I eat at least 3 a day. They help me get my calories up and there ease of use can't be beat. Obviously avoid the crappy bars. I use Trioplex and Met-rx bars.

A good deal is a protien shake(i prefer 100% whey) and 2 slices of whole grain bread. Tadow!!! Protien, Carbs, low fat,fiber instead of sugar, and fluids. Assuming you buy good bread you are lookin at 200 cals in the bread 100 in shake and about 90 in the milk thats almost 400 low fat callories and you won't feel like yor buzzin on sugar bloated to high heavins. If energy is an issue stop by a coffe stand a get a 12oz drip black.

well how about a Heaping bowl of wheaties with a lot of milk... glass of OJ, Multi, E, C, Fish Oil Cap.... i seem to have plenty of energy for my workout everyday... and i know im gonna get shit about the oj but i like the boost in energy i get from the sugar in it otherwise i normally stay away from fruit juice all together

I generally avoid protein bars. They are overpriced and filled with bizzare preservatives and such. I used to buy Trioplex bars; they are pretty good as far as packaged MRPs go.

A pre-workout meal should be similar to the composition of a post-workout meal. High in carbohydrates and protein and low in fat. However, I would generally consume more complex carbohydrates before the workout and more simple carbohydrates after the workout if you are going for an insulin spike. The recommended ratio of carbs:protein is generally around 2:1 for both of these meals.

Here is my pre-workout meal as an example:

1/2 cup oats
8oz juice
20G brewer's yeast
1 scoop whey

There's something like 60g of carbs, 35g of protein, and 5g of fat. That's an estimate off the top of my head, but pretty close I'm sure.

The Monkey Man said:
I know, I'm just giving you shit - :flipoff:... Good morning ;)

(Was he a 25 year old he or a she?)
we're gonna fight...

good question.

CowPimp said:
I generally avoid protein bars. They are overpriced and filled with bizzare preservatives and such. I used to buy Trioplex bars; they are pretty good as far as packaged MRPs go.

A pre-workout meal should be similar to the composition of a post-workout meal. High in carbohydrates and protein and low in fat. However, I would generally consume more complex carbohydrates before the workout and more simple carbohydrates after the workout if you are going for an insulin spike. The recommended ratio of carbs:protein is generally around 2:1 for both of these meals.

Here is my pre-workout meal as an example:

1/2 cup oats
8oz juice
20G brewer's yeast
1 scoop whey

There's something like 60g of carbs, 35g of protein, and 5g of fat. That's an estimate off the top of my head, but pretty close I'm sure.
pre doesn't have to be protein/carbs. it can also be protein/fat as it depends on yout totals. not to mention, the success of your workout isn't a result of what you ate just prior. it's a result of what you've eaten since your last workout.

True, you don't have to have carbs pre-workout, but pre-workout carbs will provide some energy and be used up quicker.

I focus my carb meals around my workout.

The13ig13adWolf said:
pre doesn't have to be protein/carbs. it can also be protein/fat as it depends on yout totals. not to mention, the success of your workout isn't a result of what you ate just prior. it's a result of what you've eaten since your last workout.

It doesn't have to be, but studies are now coming out indicating that pre-workout nutrition is just as important or moreso than post-workout nutrition. These studies also indicate the importance of carbohydrates pre-workout.

There are definitely other factors that contribute to what you need to eat before a meal. For example, if you won't be working out for 90 minutes and your workout lasts another 90 minutes, then you probably are going to want to ingest some fats in that meal to make sure you blood sugar levels don't plummet toward the end of your workout.

garethhe said:
quite simply, it's the Powerbar ProteinPlus bar. i'm thinking of using it as my usual pre-workout meal (i prefer whey shakes for post-workout). i happen to like the taste, find it to be pretty filling, and the stats looked pretty good (at least to me).

calories: 290
fat: 5g
total carb: 38g
sugars: 18g
protein: 24g (in order: whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate, soy protein isolate)

the label also boasts "5.2g Branch Chain Amino Acids, 4.6g Glutamine, 17 Vitamins & Minerals".

would that make a good pre-workout meal? or can i do better? does anybody have a favorite pre-workout meal that they think would work better?

Not bad but a snickers would be better.

Since i workout in the very early morning, I'll give you my take as I am usually in the gym at 4 in the morning, an hour after I wake up.

Here's my staple for the last 2+ years:
8oz OJ
Vanilla whey (50g)
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup all bran
banana, or 1 cup blueberries, or 1 cup strawberries
1 tbsp wheat germ
splenda

As for supps-since I'm in a mass phase for the next year and a half;
CEE-before and after
Tribulus
1g of fish oil, along with other times in the day
MSM
Vitamin C,E and a multi
digestive enzymes
espresso

IML Gear Cream!
CowPimp said:
It doesn't have to be, but studies are now coming out indicating that pre-workout nutrition is just as important or moreso than post-workout nutrition. These studies also indicate the importance of carbohydrates pre-workout.

There are definitely other factors that contribute to what you need to eat before a meal. For example, if you won't be working out for 90 minutes and your workout lasts another 90 minutes, then you probably are going to want to ingest some fats in that meal to make sure you blood sugar levels don't plummet toward the end of your workout.
:yes:

:thumb:

Back