• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

cutting fat but dont want to lose muscle mass

PropDan

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi, I love fitness and I gain muscle mass very easy. I hope to one day bulk up and maybe compete once because I've always wanted too.

But for right now I don't think I should be building mass because I play rugby in the spring and that involves lots of running. However I also dont want to lose muscle mass because my position requires strength to lift people up and to drive people in a scrum.

For me the perfect workout would be something that cuts fat, increases my muscle endurance, and can give me a slow muscle mass gain.
Is this possible? I know every body is different and each responds to workouts different but is there a way to cut fat and continue to grow mass at a slow rate or do I have to cut first then bulk or vice versa

There's only three times that you'll be able to gain muscle and lose fat...

1. If you had stopped training for a lenght of time and just started back up again.

2. You're on gear

3. You're genetically gifted and some people can simply do it but even the genetically gifted eventually hit a plateau of some sort, whether it's they stop gaining muscle or they stop losing fat.

Yea, it's pretty tough to do both at the same time. From what I've seen and read, a lot of folks will go with a mass adding phase followed by a cutting phase. depending on when exactly you start your season, you should be able to do this effectively. Take a look at some of the journals people have here to give you a good idea for a starting point. Just my .02. If anyone has something better to add, I'm sure they will soon enough.

Most likely you are going to have serious trouble doing so. You have to be really on point with your diet to do so. I have heard of people achieving results like this using carb cycling.

I believe it's definitely possible for the person with average genetics. If diet is immaculate, there should be no reason this can't be done. Just eat extremely clean foods and use intensity in your workouts.

i agree with TOM. the exceptions to the rule are actually as follows:

1. new to lifting + diet
2. new to heavy lifting + diet
3. gear + diet

gaining mass and losing fat is what I have been experiencing, but again I am new to this, (June 05) so I assume I am going to hit a plateau in this area by march or so of next year once newbie gains wear off. Then I will begin bulk/cut cycles strictly.

J

Doesn't this question depend on at what point your body is at before you start lifting? I have gotten stronger since starting back up in the last 2 months (which falls in line with mentioned) but I have also lost 10 pounds! When I started back up I was 226 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been @ 6'. I am down now to 216 and I am much stronger with more definition and size. I thought if you are over 10% body fat than you can build muscle and lose fat, but after you hit 10 or 11 percent you can only do one or the other. Is this accurate?

By the way. Lately I eat very cleanly, but also plenty of calories and I eat often. I think in my case I just started back up with a surplus of fat from being out of shape.

IML Gear Cream!
Thank you guys all for the responces, it took a week on my old forum for me to get 2 "one word" responces.

Heres the scoop, i have 4 months until rugby season starts and I am really pumped about training for it. Ive been hitting the weights at night 5 days a week Mon-Fri and rotate between arms and legs each day. Leg workouts M-W-F, arms and back Tues-Thur.

My diet is not consistent, I live on campus and am constriced to 3 meals a day that vary.

Breakfast is always 1 boal of oatmeal with no sugar
4 eggwhites, 1 yolk
2 glasses of skim milk

Lunch is usually a turkey sandwhich with mustard
2 cups of random veggies
1 cup of random soup
and usually a salad with tuna or a grilled chicken sandwhich
glass of skim milk

Dinner is a couple of marinated chicken breasts
2 cups of veggies
1 cup of random soup
some pasta
a glass of skim milk

I figure since i make quick gains im gonna start bulking now and cut later. I bought weigh protein and a 2 a day multivitamin. My questions are does my diet need adjustment? When I lift should I be switching up my reps and sets each workout or can i get gains by following a consistent plan of 5x5?

Back