• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

balance training?

cluemein

gym lacky
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I'm interested in balance training... its a curiosity. I see these balance boards, or wobble boards. One I'm looking at is 15", tilts at 15, 19, and 22 degrees - for about $60. Like everything there's lots of different models and price ranges.

Anyone trained on one of these and felt it worth the investment? I occassionally go rock climbing, but otherwise I'm not in any sport where I'm trying to tweak my performance. Just curious where or how you noticed any benefits - either in daily life or when playing sports, etc.. Any feedback on specific models/units/training approaches appreciated too. Not to play steriotypes but it seems a lil girly of an excercise, but I'm thinking the looks of it deceiving?

For perspective if it helps I'm 28, 5'9" 175lbs - relatively fit with some definition.

Have you considered taking T'ai Chi or Yoga or some other type of martial art?

It would do a lot for balance.

Jiu Jitsu will give you hell of alot of ballance/flexability.

My reaction time is also rediculous. I have had several instances of somebody else dropping something and me pratically diving and cathing it instinctually. This was pretty much before the realized they dropped it.

Ballet is 100% better for balance than any other form of exercise or art. Great for many other things as well ( flexibility, endurance, strength ect).

ForemanRules said:
Ballet is 100% better for balance than any other form of exercise or art. Great for many other things as well ( flexibility, endurance, strength ect).

Foreman working out with Richard Simmons.
simmons.jpg

NeilPearson said:
Have you considered taking T'ai Chi or Yoga or some other type of martial art?

It would do a lot for balance.

Excellent ideas! Long long ago I flirted with a martial arts class for a few months. Martial art or yoga might be a better use for the money than buying one of these balance boards. (though they still interest/intrigue me) You both answered to the root of my question - improving my balance. See now if you were a salesman you would've just sold me the $200 model. haha

Do stuff that yoiu can do for free, like curls or standing shoulder press off of 1 leg. working 1-leg squats helps too as well as bent over rows off 1 leg. I think things like wobble boards and foam rolls can help with improving reactive ability in the ankle (I know reactive ability is kind of a misnomer in this instance, but I think it is a form of reactive ability as it pertains to reacting to instability).

I agree with Dale to some extent. If you want just balance (AKA you don't want to take classes, etc. and spend a lot of money), do something that simply requires balance. Things that use just one leg are great, such as pistol squats (use just one leg and squat down all the way, return to standing position; your other leg should be out straight in front of you the whole time). Others include anything involving standing (such as overhead presses) and things like handstands. It may look strange, but it'll work. You can also simply put a board on the floor and try walking across it. Then try a cylindrical object so it moves. You can develop ankle strength by standing on just one foot and closing your eyes. Again, there are many, many things you can do without even having to buy equipment or pay for classes. I'm not saying that I don't recommend taking classes (I'd love to take a martial art if it didn't interfere with my workouts), just that it's not necessary.

BigDyl said:
Jiu Jitsu will give you hell of alot of ballance/flexability.

My reaction time is also rediculous. I have had several instances of somebody else dropping something and me pratically diving and cathing it instinctually. This was pretty much before the realized they dropped it.
that ninja 6th sense comes in handy?
:D

IML Gear Cream!
Burner02 said:
that ninja 6th sense comes in handy?
:D

I also pratice the forbidden art of Ninjitsu...

I could tell you more about it...

but then I would have to kill you.

BigDyl said:
I also pratice the forbidden art of Ninjitsu...

I could tell you more about it...

but then I would have to kill you.
hmmmmm....your kung-fu is powerful, I must admit. But, my kung-fu is stronger than your kung-fu

If it looks like something that interests you, then go for it. It basically increases the recruitement of stabilizer musculature at the expense of your prime movers. If you feel like this is something that would help you achieve your goals, or it merely looks like a fun change of pace, then do it.

I was going to try benching with the big ball, but the ball is located way over ----------------------------------------> here
and the Db's are way over <----------------------------------------------------------- there
that's a long way...and the benches are right there...

Back