• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Attempt ruined...

BigDyl

Elite Kiki
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I was going for a one rep max (exercise not important... ok, it was flat BB bench), and I realized I would need someone to spot me for this lift. No one was in the gym except for a middle aged man who was busy at the moment, partaking in some barbell curls. I hoped he wasn't going to tear an erector with the extreme amount of arch in his back as he screamed and "curled" the rather large 65 LB barbell up.

After the man was done, I politely asked him for a spot. He agreed to this. I mentioned before the lift that I would try to get it myself. I also explained how I would need a "lift off."

In place with, lats squeezed, shoulder blades touching, etc, I tried to get ready for a proper lift according to some articles posted on IM. Anyhow, I gripped the bar, the man helped me with the lift off, I controlled the weight for a quick second then lowered it. As I began to press it up, the man quickly gripped it and jerked it up with all his might. Needless to say I was very displeased. I told the man that he was supposed to spot me if I could not finish the motion. He told me there was no way I could possibly get that much weight up anyways, then went back to stack some "serious" plates on for his barbell curls... :mad:

Last edited:
hahahhaha

what a douche bag, i hate being underestimated, it comes w/ the age

goandykid said:
hahahhaha

what a douche bag, i hate being underestimated, it comes w/ the age

I would not normally be underestimated if sterotyped for my size. This guy, however, must have thought I was going for a world record, even though it was less than half of that...

BigDyl said:
I would not normally be underestimated if sterotyped for my size. This guy, however, must have thought I was going for a world record, even though it was less than half of that...

whatd u do afterwards? I take it you couldnt attempt ur 1rm, or did you have him do it again

I hate when people do that... You politely ask, "can i get a small spot on the last rep?" and they're all, "CMON THATS IT PUSH IT WAY TO GO THERE" and they're lifting more of the weight than you are when you aren't even anywhere near needing a spot... :rolleyes:

That's annoying as hell. Very few people know how to spot correctly.

Rocco32 said:
That's annoying as hell. Very few people know how to spot correctly.
Definitely have to agree with this. This is the reason why I train at home and also why I spent $40 on a pair of sawhorses so I wouldn't need a spotter. Training alone has always worked best for me.

Squaggleboggin said:
Definitely have to agree with this. This is the reason why I train at home and also why I spent $40 on a pair of sawhorses so I wouldn't need a spotter. Training alone has always worked best for me.
:yes: I've come to the point I'd almost rather get the weight trapped on my chest and roll it off if I can't get it than grab a spotter. They make me so mad sometimes but of course I can't show it or take it out on them because they really think they are helping.

I had a guy muscle a spot for me, like he was showing off how much he could jerk from that position. Pissed me off and I never, ever asked him for a spot again. I didn't ask for a spot so you could show how fast you can pull up the bar.

THANKS BUT NO THANKS, PRICK

thats why i emphasize the fact that i don't want the guy even touching the bar unless it comes back down to my chest, otherwise you get dickwads like that. i don't even ask for a lift off, i just tell them they are there so i don't die.

IML Gear Cream!
Yanick said:
thats why i emphasize the fact that i don't want the guy even touching the bar unless it comes back down to my chest, otherwise you get dickwads like that. i don't even ask for a lift off, i just tell them they are there so i don't die.

Yeah, that is the best way to put it. I asked a guy for a spot last week for bb bench press (the only time I need one), and I told him I wanted to try and get the weight up 4 times MYSELF. I got 3 up pretty good, and felt confident I could do 4. As I go and do the 4th, he immediately puts his hands on the bar as soon as I go to lift it, and helps me up. In fact he helped me so much it felt as though I was pushing 60lbs less. I was so pissed.

Yanick said:

I would let you die hahahaha Whats up Yan!

that sucks but you should have known after seeing him train. most people don't know hot to spot properly and especially when going for a 1RM

Yanick said:
Last time I tried that with a spotter, he walked away after the lift-off and I got stuck. When I finally got someone else to get the weight off I went and found him. He said he didn't think I still needed him since I didn't want him touching the weight :rolleyes:

It never matters how much you explain to some people how to spot you.....they never seem able to follow directions...

I always say, " don't do anything unless I'm about to die or I scream for help" this usually keeps them from interfering.

on the very rare occasion that someone I don't know is spotting me, I tell them not to touch the bar until a shake my head.

That shit pisses me off tremendously. It happened multiple times when I was doing Westside. Eventually I resorted to maxing out on pressing movements without a spot and just doing a situp with the bar and sliding out from under it.

Another option is to do it in a rack. Place the pins so that they are just above your chest with your back flat on the bench, but slightly below your chest when you apply the leg drive and get the bit of arch going.

CowPimp said:
Another option is to do it in a rack. Place the pins so that they are just above your chest with your back flat on the bench, but slightly below your chest when you apply the leg drive and get the bit of arch going.

That's my preference. That way the only person to mess up is me.

BigDyl said:
I was going for a one rep max (exercise not important... ok, it was flat BB bench), and I realized I would need someone to spot me for this lift. No one was in the gym except for a middle aged man who was busy at the moment, partaking in some barbell curls. I hoped he wasn't going to tear an erector with the extreme amount of arch in his back as he screamed and "curled" the rather large 65 LB barbell up.

After the man was done, I politely asked him for a spot. He agreed to this. I mentioned before the lift that I would try to get it myself. I also explained how I would need a "lift off."

In place with, lats squeezed, shoulder blades touching, etc, I tried to get ready for a proper lift according to some articles posted on IM. Anyhow, I gripped the bar, the man helped me with the lift off, I controlled the weight for a quick second then lowered it. As I began to press it up, the man quickly gripped it and jerked it up with all his might. Needless to say I was very displeased. I told the man that he was supposed to spot me if I could not finish the motion. He told me there was no way I could possibly get that much weight up anyways, then went back to stack some "serious" plates on for his barbell curls... :mad:
Unbelievable. You finally posted something besides a bunch of shit. :thumb: Ok enough said. In the past I have always informed the spotter that I would say the word "help" if I needed the spotter to help me. Unless it is someone that you personally know, I think the above is worth it's weight in gold. People who understand how to spot people don't prematurely take part until it is absolutely necessary.

Tough Old Man said:
Unbelievable. You finally posted something besides a bunch of shit. :thumb: Ok enough said. In the past I have always informed the spotter that I would say the word "help" if I needed the spotter to help me. Unless it is someone that you personally know, I think the above is worth it's weight in gold. People who understand how to spot people don't prematurely take part until it is absolutely necessary.

So it was you who gave me a "spot..." :mad:

IML Gear Cream!
I'd go for the rack, I dont think I could do a situp on a flat bench with the weight I use anymore.

Call me crazy, but I have always worked out alone and when using heavy weights, I would leave the clamps off the ends so I could tip each side to remove the weight in emergencies. Not really the best way, but it works nonetheless.

Not safe with big weights though. I want to see you do that with an Olympic bar and 405 on there, thats asking for pain.

PreMier said:
I would let you die hahahaha Whats up Yan!

haha, your weak ass won't be able to lift the bar off me anyways ;)

nuttins up, work and school and lots of it, what bout you bro?

Mudge said:
Not safe with big weights though. I want to see you do that with an Olympic bar and 405 on there, thats asking for pain.

Ah yes, I would definately have a spotter with that much weight. But I normally use dumbbells anyways.

dougnukem said:
Call me crazy, but I have always worked out alone and when using heavy weights, I would leave the clamps off the ends so I could tip each side to remove the weight in emergencies. Not really the best way, but it works nonetheless.

HA...I was doing close grip press today and only had 205 on there (I've never had to use clamps before..but always have a spotter...on chest day it's my trainer) and on the very last rep my left arm went up just a tad more than my right arm, just before the lockout and those plates slid off so fast....right side first then the left...I had a spotter but he didn't touch the bar until it was too late...he just held the bar in a manner that it wouldn't jerk too much when the one side slid off...

On the topic at hand...when I spot someone....when I see thing really stick ( you usually can tell when it's coming) I start with maybe a finger or two...let em fight...if they want another forced rep I stay with them and just keep the bar from moving backwards letting them drive through it..is this good??

If I spot, then I will never touch the bar unless either they ask me or the bar stops moving. I don't care how slow it's moving, because often times they break past a weak point and velocity picks up again. If I do have to assist them, I do the bare minimum so that it goes up at a steady but fairly slow pace.

Yanick said:
haha, your weak ass won't be able to lift the bar off me anyways ;)

nuttins up, work and school and lots of it, what bout you bro?

Thats why you'd die duh.. Same here, mad work.

And that's why I have a training partner who knows what he's doing. Idiots like that bother the shit out of me.

You guys are high if you think I'm going to lean out and over to do an upright row with 350 lbs. I don't spot anyone anymore. Why do you think they use 2 spotters in competition? Fuck my back up spotting some meatloaf. Go grab a couple of 120lb dumbells like I do.

Back