NapsGear.net

Cut Or Bulk, Which is Easier on You?

Rep Points

Cut Or Bulk, Which is Easier on You?

I asked this about a year ago and it had a lot of replies with most finding cutting to be easier. Now we have a lot of newbies and some old posters on here. Lets see how this rates this year

Would you rather cut or bulk and why?

Rep Points

i love to eat, so i have to go with bulking

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Both are hard. I would say bulking is harder though. Not only because there is some level of force-feeding involved, but because of logistic concerns like money and time.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Uranium powered

Rep Points

cutting = harder

the true playboy

Rep Points

cutting is dieting, i can eat mass amounts of food so i naturally am always bulking
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke8395

But, I've been with girls that had saggy chests and boring butts and they still had no personality. Those girls are usually really bitter. I think they realize they are useless.

The world is mine

Rep Points

i haven't gone through cutting yet, but I imagine it will be easier than bulking.
    "I analyze life through a blind man's eyes to see better." K-rino

Rep Points

That is a fu-king hard question. No body likes to restrict calories, so cutting is hard. Yet most of us begin to bulk, look in the mirror and think we are gaining too much fat and cut calories causing us to fail at bulking.

WantItBad

Rep Points

bulking by far for me cuz i like my buffalo chicken alot
    "Strength is the product of struggle"

"Your greatest challenge isn't another person. Its the burning in your lungs and the burning in your legs, its the voice in your head screaming STOP you cant do anymore. But you dont listen. You push harder and you start to hear a the whisper of YOU CAN. You realize you are not the person you thought you were is no match for the person you are."

Your Pretend Friend

Rep Points

Isn't it better just to eat well year round? I've never found much use for bulking, So i'd say cutting.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I would say cutting is harder, just because of the self control you need. With bulking, you can eat a ton, just not always exactly what you want. But at least there is some flexibility. Cutting just seems so much more restrictive.
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Bulking is very easy for myself, I can gain quickly.

As for cutting, it is difficult. The worst part is when you think you do great, and then you end up a pound heavier, though it may be water weight, it's still an ego killer.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

I suppose what I've been doing for the past few months can be called cutting. All I really did was try to eat smaller meals more frequently, eat healthier foods of mostly protein, and eat my last meal much earlier in the day and further from when I go to bed. I've lost about 25 pounds doing this and I didn't find it very hard. If I actually counted calories and macronutrients, etc. I'm sure it would be a lot more difficult, so I'm going to say bulking is probably more difficult because you have to eat so much and still eat the right things so as not to gain fat.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I would say bulking. If I have to eat 6 times a day I'd rather not be doing 400 and 500 calorie meals, thats a joke.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

cutting is hard, it takes alot of mental toughness plus its an ego killer maybe losing some strenght and shrinking

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    I suppose what I've been doing for the past few months can be called cutting. All I really did was try to eat smaller meals more frequently, eat healthier foods of mostly protein, and eat my last meal much earlier in the day and further from when I go to bed. I've lost about 25 pounds doing this and I didn't find it very hard. If I actually counted calories and macronutrients, etc. I'm sure it would be a lot more difficult, so I'm going to say bulking is probably more difficult because you have to eat so much and still eat the right things so as not to gain fat.

Why would you not eat so long before bed?
    During the night, you are already going to be fasted for 6-9 hours...
    Why not eat a slow absorbing meal right before bed to maintain lean mass?

I have been trying to slowly lose weight, but I still eat a power bagel with PB spread on it and a glass of skim milk before bed, almost every night.

Works for me.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by garethhe
    i love to eat, so i have to go with bulking
    Ditto.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Why would you not eat so long before bed?
    During the night, you are already going to be fasted for 6-9 hours...
    Why not eat a slow absorbing meal right before bed to maintain lean mass?

I have been trying to slowly lose weight, but I still eat a power bagel with PB spread on it and a glass of skim milk before bed, almost every night.

Works for me.
    The way I understand it, your metabolism basically stops while you're asleep (or slows down to the point that it's negligible). Therefore, eating just before going to bed allows the food to simply sit and not be used by the body and perhaps be stored as fat. Of course, my understanding of that particular system is basic at best, and my ideas may not have any validity. I know that I have continued to gain strength while losing weight, so if I've lost LBM then it wasn't very important I guess.If you can explain something to the contrary, please do - I'm always eager to learn more.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    The way I understand it, your metabolism basically stops while you're asleep (or slows down to the point that it's negligible). Therefore, eating just before going to bed allows the food to simply sit and not be used by the body and perhaps be stored as fat. Of course, my understanding of that particular system is basic at best, and my ideas may not have any validity. I know that I have continued to gain strength while losing weight, so if I've lost LBM then it wasn't very important I guess.If you can explain something to the contrary, please do - I'm always eager to learn more.
    Yes, your metabolism does slow down while you're asleep. However, I have read that it only slows down by 15-25% compared to your metabolic rate while concious and inactive.

It's all calories in vs. calories out. If you are eating in a negative energy balance, then your body is going to have to tap into its energy reserves to make up for the difference regardless of what time you ate. This isn't to say that nutrient timing has no place in a diet; quite the contrary.

The point is that you want to maintain postive nitrogen balance throughout the night if at all possible in an attempt to preserve lean body mass. The whole not eating right before bed thing is a myth.

Although I'm only one example, you can see that eating within 30 minutes of sleep every night has not hindered my ability to achieve a lean physique. I'm not an ectomorph either. I'm naturally and endo/mesomorph.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Cutting is easier for me. Right now I'm trying to bulk and I've noticed the results are as if I was cutting. I've gained muscle mass but also lost most of the little fat I had on my body. I think I weigh the same as when I started, lost fat, gained muscle. I guess I need to eat more (although I probably eat what my parents eat combined).

EDIT: not that I want to gain fat...I just need to get bigger overall, instead of just gaining muslce definition.