• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Programmers and software geeks

Devlin

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Have a question regarding File Maker Pro 6.

Background-At work we have our own network server. We use File Maker Pro 6 for our appointment calendar, an old database that was built using File Maker 5 and a new database that was built in File Maker 6. We have 3 I-books and one IBM laptop PC which all have their own registered version of File Maker 6 loaded on them.

My question-can we load a copy of one of the registered versions of File Maker Pro 6 onto another PC (HP Pavilion laptop) and use it on the server or will we get an error saying a original in use.? We have a 4th I-book with it's own version of File Maker Pro 6, but that lap top has died. If we can not use a copy at the same time as the registered version, can we use a copy of the version that is on the dead I-book?

Hope that made sense. Thanks for the help.

When I was a sysadmin I had to buy an older copy of Filemaker Pro for a MAC that wasn't as up to date as the others, until they could afford to upgrade all machines across the board.

eBay saved me.

I dont know how the authentication mechanism works, but it seems weird it would permanently register a MAC address to the server along with the serial number (or a BIOS identifier or something). So if you re-installed the product on another machine with the same OS or compatible I dont know why it wouldn't work, but if you have compatible stuff why not just try it.

If you are going to try and use a serial from a MAC product onto a PC version, even if they are the same software revision number they may well be segregated.

Mudge said:
When I was a sysadmin I had to buy an older copy of Filemaker Pro for a MAC that wasn't as up to date as the others, until they could afford to upgrade all machines across the board.

eBay saved me.

I dont know how the authentication mechanism works, but it seems weird it would permanently register a MAC address to the server along with the serial number (or a BIOS identifier or something). So if you re-installed the product on another machine with the same OS or compatible I dont know why it wouldn't work, but if you have compatible stuff why not just try it.

If you are going to try and use a serial from a MAC product onto a PC version, even if they are the same software revision number they may well be segregated.

I'm a sysadmin now. :)

gococksDJS said:
You're also an assadmin...

Oh yeah, well you're a stupidadmin...

I knew (and know) virtually nothing about FileMaker Pro, admitedly.

The license agreement basically will always say, you are allowed ONE backup copy and the software to be active and live on 1 computer OR as many as you have licenses for, for example I buy one CD of Windows XP from MS and then a license pack, I can use it on that many machines, but I still have only one CD and only one CD Key.

So it may be the honor system, however it is quite possible that there is at least authentication to the point that seeing two clients of the same license as not allowed (probably easier to implement in non license pack situations, but rather per seat licensing).

Jodi works with computers, maybe she knows, but hey if you have the hardware that is compatible with the software just try it. If the other machine is truly dead you are not violating anything IMO, you are simply not allowed to use two concurrent machines off of one license purchase.

The older the software, the less likely it has a complex auth mechanism. With the old Microsoft software you could fill in all 1s for the early Visual Basics and so on. NT4 wasn't much better.

Back