Well I bounced this idea around in my workout journal and it got a lot of positive feedback so I’ve decided to go forward with it.
A large portion of IM is dedicated to diet and nutrition. Everyone here who is serious is striving to learn about and maintain a healthy diet to help them reach their personal fitness goals. As we all know, vegetables and herbs are an important part of any healthy lifestyle and also a way to add flavor and style to the dishes we create. I am an avid gardener and I thought that it would be helpful to the IM community and myself to journal my gardens and share and receive information with others. I am not a degreed horticulturist or master gardener, but I have been successful in the past growing herbs and vegetables for myself and my family. I did sell fertilizer and pesticides to golf courses for three years and can help people with their turfgrass issues if they have questions.. Gardening is something I enjoy doing and the benefits are really rewarding.
Most of my gardens are some sort of container style setup. I also do some flower and perennial gardening and while these might receive some discussion, the focus of this journal will be on things we can consume. I know a lot of you live in apartments or don’t have huge areas to dedicate to a garden, so I thought the container aspect would appeal to many folks here. I think many people would be surprised if they knew how much they could grow in a few small spaces. You’ll also save some money at the supermarket during the growing season and over the winter if you choose to can some of your harvest. The flavor and quality of home grown vegetables is far superior than you will find in the produce section of the supermarket and the amount of work isn’t that time consuming. You can really make it as simple or elaborate as you like.
Here is how I’d like to present this journal:
• Use the winter months to detail a few veggies and herbs each week and detail their basic space and growing requirements as well as how they can be used.
• Take some pictures of my garden areas and we can discuss what is needed to get started before spring arrives
• Journal my gardens from seed starting and planting through harvest. I’ll take weekly photos of development and we can discuss things as they come up
My goals for this journal are:
• To share what I know with the IM community and learn from others. I’m not an expert gardener and welcome any inputs and participation from the community.
• Generate interest from people in the IM community who have never tried gardening before and help them grow some of their own food and save a few bucks at the grocery store
• Have IM members share ways to jazz up that boring can of tuna or glass of ice tea the healthful way.
• Put a little pressure on myself to keep my gardens looking sharp all summer
I hope a lot of people get involved here and share their thoughts and ideas. Feel free to post any photos or information that you think would be helpful to others.