• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Self Sufficiency for a Fit and Healthy Lifestyle

boilermaker

On a Mission!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Well I bounced this idea around in my workout journal and it got a lot of positive feedback so I???ve decided to go forward with it.

A large portion of IM is dedicated to diet and nutrition. Everyone here who is serious is striving to learn about and maintain a healthy diet to help them reach their personal fitness goals. As we all know, vegetables and herbs are an important part of any healthy lifestyle and also a way to add flavor and style to the dishes we create. I am an avid gardener and I thought that it would be helpful to the IM community and myself to journal my gardens and share and receive information with others. I am not a degreed horticulturist or master gardener, but I have been successful in the past growing herbs and vegetables for myself and my family. I did sell fertilizer and pesticides to golf courses for three years and can help people with their turfgrass issues if they have questions.. Gardening is something I enjoy doing and the benefits are really rewarding.

Most of my gardens are some sort of container style setup. I also do some flower and perennial gardening and while these might receive some discussion, the focus of this journal will be on things we can consume. I know a lot of you live in apartments or don???t have huge areas to dedicate to a garden, so I thought the container aspect would appeal to many folks here. I think many people would be surprised if they knew how much they could grow in a few small spaces. You???ll also save some money at the supermarket during the growing season and over the winter if you choose to can some of your harvest. The flavor and quality of home grown vegetables is far superior than you will find in the produce section of the supermarket and the amount of work isn???t that time consuming. You can really make it as simple or elaborate as you like.

Here is how I???d like to present this journal:

??? Use the winter months to detail a few veggies and herbs each week and detail their basic space and growing requirements as well as how they can be used.
??? Take some pictures of my garden areas and we can discuss what is needed to get started before spring arrives
??? Journal my gardens from seed starting and planting through harvest. I???ll take weekly photos of development and we can discuss things as they come up

My goals for this journal are:

??? To share what I know with the IM community and learn from others. I???m not an expert gardener and welcome any inputs and participation from the community.
??? Generate interest from people in the IM community who have never tried gardening before and help them grow some of their own food and save a few bucks at the grocery store
??? Have IM members share ways to jazz up that boring can of tuna or glass of ice tea the healthful way.
??? Put a little pressure on myself to keep my gardens looking sharp all summer

I hope a lot of people get involved here and share their thoughts and ideas. Feel free to post any photos or information that you think would be helpful to others.

Before anyone tries to be funny, I'll just head this off right away. This journal will not be used for the discussion of the growth of recreational use plants, in any way, shape or form.:)

So, mostly just a place for fruits to hang out? :D

what kind of garden can you have in michigan in the middle of winter?

P-funk said:
what kind of garden can you have in michigan in the middle of winter?
Here is how I???d like to present this journal:

??? Use the winter months to detail a few veggies and herbs each week and detail their basic space and growing requirements as well as how they can be used.
The winter will be to generate interest and help educate people who have never done this before.

I'm in my Friend!!! Forgot to tell you, I pass Lupine Ct. everyday, its like 3 minutes from my house!!! Talk about a small world, shame you don't still live here!!!

B: Glad to hear it. I expect mucho contributions of your vast knowledge in here.

Archie: Good to have you. Do you have a garden? Check out my old house. It's 1124. Say hello to all my old neighbors for me. That would have been fun if I still lived there. But, Michigan is home for me so were glad to be back around family. Especially with the little one.

IML Gear Cream!
Hi Boiler...was gonna post this in your journal, but the new server won't let me....grrr..:(

I start my beans, and watermelons from seeds, but I use tomato plants...I do a lot of canning...tomato juice, ketchup, and some not so healthy salsa...lol..do you do any canning from your garden??

I am looking forward to how to grow herbs..I've never done it before :)

Hi B. I got a 1000 watt metal halide grow light from a friend to use this winter, so I'm going to try and start alot of my stuff inside this year to get a jump on the season. I canned alot of tomatoes this year, but haven't done any tomato juice or ketchup. Hopefully you can show me how to do that. I grew a bunch of herbs last year. They are really pretty easy.

That's a big bulb. How about pics to get us started?

Hey Steve! I can't wait to see this going!! :clap:

What about chooks?! Can we think about how to squeeze some chooks into an apartment... :D

Oh.. Oh :hot: And a milking cow!! I would LOVE a milking cow!! Back on the farm my next door neighbour used to have a milking cow - fresh milk straight from the udder + milo in a cup = :nanner:

And what about things like home-made things like breads/cheese/yoghurt?! We could do a whole 'self-sufficiency' thing where people can pipe up with info on preserving, growing, cultivating, hunting and producing!!

only if you want... I don't want to over-run your journal idea... so just tell me to be quiet if you are not interested :gosh:

Emma-Leigh said:
Hey Steve! I can't wait to see this going!! :clap:

What about chooks?! Can we think about how to squeeze some chooks into an apartment... :D

Oh.. Oh :hot: And a milking cow!! I would LOVE a milking cow!! Back on the farm my next door neighbour used to have a milking cow - fresh milk straight from the udder + milo in a cup = :nanner:

And what about things like home-made things like breads/cheese/yoghurt?! We could do a whole 'self-sufficiency' thing where people can pipe up with info on preserving, growing, cultivating, hunting and producing!!

only if you want... I don't want to over-run your journal idea... so just tell me to be quiet if you are not interested :gosh:

That all sounds great (sans the milking cow and chooks thing.....not at my house anyway!!!!;) ) Don't worry about overrunning "my journal" I want this to be like you said, an active community type self sufficiency journal where we all learn from each other. It's not about me, but about helping each other out.:thumb:

Is there a way for me to change the title to make it more inclusive of these ideas?

boilermaker said:
That all sounds great (sans the milking cow and chooks thing.....not at my house anyway!!!!;) ) Don't worry about overrunning "my journal" I want this to be like you said, an active community type self sufficiency journal where we all learn from each other. It's not about me, but about helping each other out.:thumb:
YAY! :D (well.. :( for the cows and the chooks... :p )...

Is there a way for me to change the title to make it more inclusive of these ideas?
You can't do it (at least I don't think you can... ) but you can message one of the Journal Forum moderators and ask them to change it for you.... :)

You can't do it (at least I don't think you can... ) but you can message one of the Journal Forum moderators and ask them to change it for you....

How about "Boilermaker's Garden Space and the IM Self-Preservation Logs"

Suggestions welcome:thumb:

boilermaker said:
How about "Boilermaker's Garden Space and the IM Self-Preservation Logs"

Suggestions welcome:thumb:
Hmmm... :hmmm:

"IM's I'm Self-Sufficent log"

"Building an Independent Body"

"Working out Self-sufficency"

I suck at names! :p

(epp... running late now! :rolleyes: )

I dig all these idea...though I'm not sure what a chook is... :D

How about "Boiler's Earth Freindly World" ?

IML Gear Cream!
boilermaker said:
Before anyone tries to be funny, I'll just head this off right away. This journal will not be used for the discussion of the growth of recreational use plants, in any way, shape or form.:)

Good, because I was gonna start one of those. I don't want you getting in on my territory. Hehe. Kidding of course. Interesting idea for a journal.

O.k., the title has been changed to open up the scope of do it yourselfing with regard to fitness and health. So feel free to post away with tips and suggestions. I suggest that if you start a new topic, such as "garlic chives" which I will be detailing soon, that you identify it in the title box so the thread is easy to search.

CowPimp said:
Good, because I was gonna start one of those. I don't want you getting in on my territory. Hehe. Kidding of course. Interesting idea for a journal.
You can have that territory for yourself, Cowpimp.

Thanks, I figured since everyone tries to eat healthy and likes to save money, we should have a place to learn about and share ideas.

I think it's a heckuv an idea.

Pylon said:
I dig all these idea...though I'm not sure what a chook is... :D

:clap:

bantam2.jpg

So Cute!! :D

So, are chooks a small chicken, an orange mellon, or a cross of the two? Wouldn't that be a micken? Or a chellon?

Hi,
I can't wait to read about your garden...all i have right now is rosemary..

Vanessa

Emma-Leigh said:
Thought I might start by posting a few links to some websites I found:
Thanks, Emma. Those are good links. Did you pick Urban Homesteading just because there are pics of Chooks on the front page?:laugh:
I have a question. How come when you post a picture, it appears as a picture and when I post a picture it appears as a thumbnail?

Back