• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Why are snatch grip lifts harder to hold?

Yanick

Amor Fati
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
don't really know if this is the case with everybody else out there, but it certainly is for me. i hurt my back a while ago (lost concentration and rounded my back while doing bent BB rows), so last week i was just trying to get back into the swing of things using light weight and seeing how my back responded. so i'm doing my upper body work and it comes down to my last move which is a shrug of some sort. so i set up a bar with 225 to do some light shrugging. i was hitting 12's easily and not wanting to go higher weight or higher reps i wanted to make it as hard for myself as i could, which led me to using a snatch grip for the shrugs. lo and behold i couldn't even hold on to the bar for 12 reps. so can anyone gimme a biomechanical breakdown of why its so much harder to hold the bar using a snatch grip? i've racked my brain with the little psychic energy i have left after studying for all of my finals and still couldn't figure it out so i digress and throw it out there for you smart people.

When you are using a conventional width grip, the force is distributed more to your forefinger and middle finger, which are locked around the thumb and are much stronger. With the snatch grip, the weight is distributed more to your pinky and ring fingers, which are weaker.

i knew it was something simple like that but me, being the retard that i am, thought that it was something much more complex. thanks for showing me the light bud.

I thought the weight was distrubuted more to your index and middle finger. And you've got the extra horizontal pull on your wrist which pulls your pinky and ring finger off more.

The horizontal pull is the force I am talking about. Force isn't just the weight you are pulling.

Dale Mabry said:
The horizontal pull is the force I am talking about. Force isn't just the weight you are pulling.
So I guess your just always right? :p

No, you are just always wrong. :p

Yan, it isn't that it is harder. It is just that you are a pussy. ;)

:p

P-funk said:

Damn, we were both wrong. But I think he's right Yan. I usually load up at least 200 more lbs with snatch grip or it just feels to light :shrug:

I thought it was that the weight is pulling away with your hand
at an angle and not in a nearly direct line to the shoulder perpendicular to the bar - :hmmm:

IML Gear Cream!
The Monkey Man said:
I thought it was that the weight is pulling away with your hand
at an angle and not in a nearly direct line to the shoulder perpendicular to the bar - :hmmm:
Hence the horizontal force or pull.

P-funk said:

oh yea i forgot about that one :)

Rocco32 said:
Damn, we were both wrong. But I think he's right Yan. I usually load up at least 200 more lbs with snatch grip or it just feels to light :shrug:

LOL, yea i would do that but i do my snatch grip lifts after my Hummer deadlifts so i'm a little spent and go lighter than usual.

Yanick said:
oh yea i forgot about that one :)

LOL, yea i would do that but i do my snatch grip lifts after my Hummer deadlifts so i'm a little spent and go lighter than usual.

:laugh: You're either a giant, or have a REALLY big platform for deadlifts :p

Seanp156 said:
:laugh: You're either a giant, or have a REALLY big platform for deadlifts :p

1-6-hummer-h2-electric-rc-car-01.gif

Hope this is simple enough,
Conventional Grip < Hook
Down side of Hook is that it hurts for awhile, you will get used to it.
Hook provides a much mroe secure grip.

MattV said:
Hope this is simple enough,
Conventional Grip < Hook
Down side of Hook is that it hurts for awhile, you will get used to it.
Hook provides a much mroe secure grip.

no need to simplify stuff with me bro, lol. but i wasn't talking about using a hook grip vs a regular grip, i was talking taking a snatch grip or a regular shoulder width or whatever you call it grip. i knew it was more difficult, but i like to learn about such things and thats exactly what these guys did for me.

Back