• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

bicep question

kenwood

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
ok i have heard to work the bicep like the ball part or w/e its called, when u do a bb curl or any curl instead of going all the way up stop at like half way up and squeeze for 2-3sec then go back down slowly is this true?

kenwood said:
ok i have heard to work the bicep like the ball part or w/e its called, when u do a bb curl or any curl instead of going all the way up stop at like half way up and squeeze for 2-3sec then go back down slowly is this true?

You cannot work different parts of your bicep. Although there are two heads on your bicep, they are both active during elbow flexion.

They get stimulated doing the movement you are talking about, but I still feel partials only deserve the occasional inclusion in a program and you should primarily focus on using a full range of motion.

Oh, and don't you mean "~bicep question~?"

CowPimp said:
Oh, and don't you mean "~bicep question~?"

shit yes i ment "~bicep question~?"

kenwood, dont focus on you arms at all, get a strong back and chest and your arms will follow, i have very large arms for my size and i only work them out once a week, ur arms will grow when they are not targeted in my opinion

Although I have seen people who do partials for about everything I would still stick with full range of motion. Slow heavy 1 arm preacher curls promote alot of growth. Give them a try after barbell curls

CooLdude said:
Although I have seen people who do partials for about everything I would still stick with full range of motion. Slow heavy 1 arm preacher curls promote alot of growth. Give them a try after barbell curls
i like incline curls i think there the way to go.

barbell curls, alternating incline curls, preachers :) got u a routine

CooLdude said:
barbell curls, alternating incline curls, preachers :) got u a routine

lol..well i have just did my workout back and biceps..i did 4sets for bi's..i wished i would of read this sooner so i could of did this workout lol

IML Gear Cream!
kenwood said:
lol..well i have just did my workout back and biceps..i did 4sets for bi's..i wished i would of read this sooner so i could of did this workout lol

If i was you i would do my back workout first then my bi's
Heres what my back and bicep routine looks like.

Dead lifts 4 x 10
Cable rows 4 x 12
chinups 4 sets of max
Incline dumbell curl 4 x 12
prechure curl 4 x 12
Hammer curl 4 x 12

By the time i get to hammer curls my arms are pretty well pooched.

gogo said:
If i was you i would do my back workout first then my bi's
Heres what my back and bicep routine looks like.

Dead lifts 4 x 10
Cable rows 4 x 12
chinups 4 sets of max
Incline dumbell curl 4 x 12
prechure curl 4 x 12
Hammer curl 4 x 12

By the time i get to hammer curls my arms are pretty well pooched.

i do back b4 bi's all the time..12 sets for biceps?

yeah like i said if i get to the hammer curls i get to them, if im to tired im to tired.

I go 3x10 for db preacher, hammer, and barbell curls. It gives me a good hurt!

CooLdude said:

Explain to me why slow and heavy 1 arm preacher curls promote growth more than any other variation of basic elbow flexion?

CowPimp said:
Explain to me why slow and heavy 1 arm preacher curls promote growth more than any other variation of basic elbow flexion?

Why don't you explain it? I can't find where he said it...

I would agree that one arm preacher curls are probably among the best exercises for isolating the biceps. Each arm works independently with the entire load being moved entirely by the bicep because it is completely isolated. I've never tried them but it would appear that way to me. I did take a liking to spider curls before though. Excellent way to isolate and get a truly full ROM IMO. Of course, I find bicep work quite pointless now but the validity of the exercise remains steadfast to me.

Squaggleboggin said:
Why don't you explain it? I can't find where he said it...

I would agree that one arm preacher curls are probably among the best exercises for isolating the biceps. Each arm works independently with the entire load being moved entirely by the bicep because it is completely isolated. I've never tried them but it would appear that way to me. I did take a liking to spider curls before though. Excellent way to isolate and get a truly full ROM IMO. Of course, I find bicep work quite pointless now but the validity of the exercise remains steadfast to me.

I quoted the claim right before my response. He's the one making the claim. I disagree; I don't think they promote growth better than any other curl variation.

CowPimp said:
I quoted the claim right before my response. He's the one making the claim. I disagree; I don't think they promote growth better than any other curl variation.

U r right although I find incline curls and preachers more taxing than say standing camber bar curls for the fact that there is limited body movement creating momentum. But by ur logic...one could do say six sets of incline curls and call it a day?? Or do you still recommend a variation of exercises?? If so, why??

And there is a bicep sticky around here somewhere IIRC that said building it up was more about lighter weight with slower movements while squeezing and holding at the top and almost flexing ur tricep at the bottom to ensure a full ROM.

The only thing good about preacher curls is I can admire my biceps point blank as I train them.

be sure to keep your biceps tight throughout the entire movement and squeeze at the top. people tend to ease the tension (especially at the top of a preacher curl) almost like taking a break.

IML Gear Cream!
PWGriffin said:
U r right although I find incline curls and preachers more taxing than say standing camber bar curls for the fact that there is limited body movement creating momentum. But by ur logic...one could do say six sets of incline curls and call it a day?? Or do you still recommend a variation of exercises?? If so, why??

And there is a bicep sticky around here somewhere IIRC that said building it up was more about lighter weight with slower movements while squeezing and holding at the top and almost flexing ur tricep at the bottom to ensure a full ROM.

The only other advantage to performing different movements, at least when discussing a simple movement like the bicep curl, is that you can fool with the strength curve. For example, if you do seated incline curls or preacher curls, then you alter the strength curve so that you can strengthen elbow flexion optimally at different joint angles. The effect on hypertrophy, however, is probably not going to be noticeably different than a similar curl variation.

You can vary tension among the brachialis and such depending on the movement, but the differences are going to be much less noticeable relative to compound movements.

CowPimp said:

He said he thought they promoted a lot of growth. I don't see where he said they were better than another exercise.

It's not the movement itself that is more valuable, but the way in which it is performed that matters. I think the total isolation will help due to human error. It's human nature to cheat at least a little bit and with a preacher curl it's simply much more difficult to do that. Isolating the muscle completely will help to develop it and fatigue it more quickly than other curls, thus saving time for exercises that actually matter. Heh, heh, heh...

Squaggleboggin said:
He said he thought they promoted a lot of growth. I don't see where he said they were better than another exercise.

Well when he says they promote a lot of growth, using that modifying adjective indicates that it promotes more growth than other exercises. The term has to be relative, or what he metric is he basing it on? With that logic, every bicep exercise would promote a lot of growth. Whatever, it's semantics we're getting into here. I'm pretty sure he was implying that it is better than other exercises out there, or he wouldn't have recommended it.

It's not the movement itself that is more valuable, but the way in which it is performed that matters. I think the total isolation will help due to human error. It's human nature to cheat at least a little bit and with a preacher curl it's simply much more difficult to do that. Isolating the muscle completely will help to develop it and fatigue it more quickly than other curls, thus saving time for exercises that actually matter. Heh, heh, heh...

I see your point. Of course, you could just not cheat, and then the problem is solved. You could also put your back up against a wall when you do normal curls. You can still cheat the ROM on either one.

CowPimp said:
Well when he says they promote a lot of growth, using that modifying adjective indicates that it promotes more growth than other exercises. The term has to be relative, or what he metric is he basing it on? With that logic, every bicep exercise would promote a lot of growth. Whatever, it's semantics we're getting into here. I'm pretty sure he was implying that it is better than other exercises out there, or he wouldn't have recommended it.

It's not necessarily relative though. He could have just meant they promote a lot of growth, as in what he considers to be favorable progress, not necessarily that it was a lot more than another exercise. Again, we're arguing over nothing, but that's pretty much what I do. You're pretty much the only person I do this with... Hahaha.

CowPimp said:
I see your point. Of course, you could just not cheat, and then the problem is solved. You could also put your back up against a wall when you do normal curls. You can still cheat the ROM on either one.

Of course, that's why I prefer spider curls. Very difficult to cheat in any way at all.

Squaggleboggin said:
It's not necessarily relative though. He could have just meant they promote a lot of growth, as in what he considers to be favorable progress, not necessarily that it was a lot more than another exercise. Again, we're arguing over nothing, but that's pretty much what I do. You're pretty much the only person I do this with... Hahaha.

Well, that's how I preceived it. We can argue about it all we want, but only the person who said it truly knows.

Of course, that's why I prefer spider curls. Very difficult to cheat in any way at all.

Yeah, I've done those too. I definitely think it's a good movement as well.

CowPimp said:
Well, that's how I preceived it. We can argue about it all we want, but only the person who said it truly knows.

Yeah, I've done those too. I definitely think it's a good movement as well.

Yup, like I said, I argue about nothing quite a bit, but mostly with you for some reason. Haha.

Squaggleboggin said:
Yup, like I said, I argue about nothing quite a bit, but mostly with you for some reason. Haha.

NO YOU DON'T@!(#*

Just to clear things up I said preacher curls promote alot of growth. But that does not mean there the best exercise for bicep growth. Just like I can say a camero promotes alot of speed. And it doesnt mean it promotes the most speed.

Back