NapsGear.net

Injured! Now What?

Rep Points

Injured! Now What?

My current routine is a three day split centered around squats, bench and DL. I currently do 4-6 sets of 5-6 reps of each exercise, and have done well with this for 4 months.

Last week I participated in a pick-up basketball game, and while coming to an abrupt stop on-court, felt both hamstrings and calves go on me. I hobbled off court, applied some ice and went home. Now, a week and a half later, the back of my right leg is purple from just below my butt down to the back of my knee, and I'm still hobbling around like I'm crippled (it's getting better though). It looks like I'll be out of commission for at least 3-4 more weeks.

My question--should I just take the next couple of weeks off to try and facilitate a quicker recovery, or continue working out upper body only? My upper body development has always lagged behind lower, so should I go ahead and take this as an opportunity to play catch-up with lower body? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanx.

I'm Dead Sexxxxy!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Sounds like a good plan to me, just don't do anything to cause further injury to that leg!!!
    Cool

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I think you are okay to work upper body as long as you do not do any exercise that further aggravates your injuries.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

this is a thing that i notice kids at my gym do wrong they center their workouts around squats and squats is a dangerous excercise

P/RR/Sh Warrior

Rep Points

blargh. upper body is fine, and like the rest said[ rest those legs]. did you see a doc or a pt about your legs??
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.prrstraining.com Time to GROW Without Plateau!

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Originally posted by KANE_VICIOUS
    this is a thing that i notice kids at my gym do wrong they center their workouts around squats and squats is a dangerous excercise
    Squats are only dangerous if they're performed incorrectly, otherwise they are a very important exercise.

I have never been injured from squats, and I have been doing them for around 14 years.

Rep Points

well yeah they are ok if you know how to do them but at my gym i see kids who weight 150 trying to put like 300-400 pounds on em the first time they ever lift and of course they gonna get injured

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

yes, when I go the rec center I see around 50% of the people performing exercises wrong, sometimes it's entertaining!

Rep Points

Tank: No, I haven't seen a doc, although I probably should have. My history is to try to work through pain--usually not a good idea. I appreciate all the comments. I'll continue the upper body stuff and hope for quick healling because my favorite lifts are DL and squat.

About squats:

I love em, and always have. There are only about three or four of us in my gym who do them, and I'm the only one who goes "butt to the floor" style. I've never been hurt doing them--my injuries center around curls and tricep work.

P/RR/Sh Warrior

Rep Points

what bothers me is the black and blue from the butt to the knee.i had a friend who's pec tore, and its was black and blue from his elbow and covered his entire right chest. do what is best in your mind though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.prrstraining.com Time to GROW Without Plateau!