• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

belt with squats?

joesmooth20

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Does using a belt take away from the overall impact of squats? Kinda like what some people say about wrist wraps.

it takes stress off the lower back muscles. wether thats good or bad depends on the individual.

Two things should both be true before you wear a belt: you are performing an exercise that loads the trunk (e.g. squats, overhead press, deadlifts, etc.) and you are performing the lift at a very high intensity (i.e. 90% or greater).

Your core musculature should be strong enough to support the weight. Otherwise it does nothing more than act as a crutch. Wait till one day you're helping your friend move furniture and you've been using that crutch for so long. There goes your lower back; thanks for playing.

As a side note, I don't use a belt even on maximum attempts.

CowPimp said:
Two things should both be true before you wear a belt: you are performing an exercise that loads the trunk (e.g. squats, overhead press, deadlifts, etc.) and you are performing the lift at a very high intensity (i.e. 90% or greater).

Your core musculature should be strong enough to support the weight. Otherwise it does nothing more than act as a crutch. Wait till one day you're helping your friend move furniture and you've been using that crutch for so long. There goes your lower back; thanks for playing.

As a side note, I don't use a belt even on maximum attempts.

Good answer.

I use them only on my last set, and only on squats.

Not wearing a belt on heavy lifts could hamper your leg development, its kind of like wrist straps, your lower back can only support so much, the potential amount of weight you can lift with your legs is greater than the amount your back could ever support without a belt, same with wrist staps, your forearms will never or shouldnt be strong enough to support your highest amount of back lift thats why you set a limit on yourself if you dont wear them, the limit is how much your lower back or wrists can handle...yeah i agree dont use a belt if your back can support the wieght your doing or if your arms can handle it but at a certain point your back and legs should exceed the amount of weight your lower back or wrists can support.

I sometimes wear a belt that isnt tight at all, it just rests on my hips. this way i can really get a feel for wether or not my back is in perfect positioning for lifts so i dont injur myself. I dont wear it to add support, just to get an even better feel for my positioning. im the only one in my family without a herniated disk, so i like to pay very close attention to this type of thing.

MillerMan said:
Not wearing a belt on heavy lifts could hamper your leg development, its kind of like wrist straps, your lower back can only support so much, the potential amount of weight you can lift with your legs is greater than the amount your back could ever support without a belt, same with wrist staps, your forearms will never or shouldnt be strong enough to support your highest amount of back lift thats why you set a limit on yourself if you dont wear them, the limit is how much your lower back or wrists can handle...yeah i agree dont use a belt if your back can support the wieght your doing or if your arms can handle it but at a certain point your back and legs should exceed the amount of weight your lower back or wrists can support.

Oh man, we have a new King of Run-ons. Punctuation, man... punctuation.

I completely disagree with you; 100%. "Your lowerback can only support so much." That is the attitude that will keep your lower back only holding "so much". The only limits are what you impose on yourself.

Squats aren't simply an exercise for your quads.... its very much for your low back as well. If your back cannot keep pace with your legs, then train your back. Simple as that.

Personally, my low back can support much more than my legs can lift.

I don't normally use a belt, however since I hurt my back three weeks ago dead lifting I had to use one yesterday to squat. As soon as My back feels better I will rid myself of it though.

du510 said:
Oh man, we have a new King of Run-ons. Punctuation, man... punctuation.

I completely disagree with you; 100%. "Your lowerback can only support so much." That is the attitude that will keep your lower back only holding "so much". The only limits are what you impose on yourself.

Squats aren't simply an exercise for your quads.... its very much for your low back as well. If your back cannot keep pace with your legs, then train your back. Simple as that.

Personally, my low back can support much more than my legs can lift.

I would be of a right mind to agree. Many people can deadlift more than they squat, and the thing that stops them from deadlifting more is lack of leg power. I can also hold much more wieght with my back than my legs can handle. Simply look at my signature and you'll see what I mean.

MillerMan said:

Or you could just strengthen your lower back and grip instead of working around those weaknesses. That would be my choice.

However, like I said, during high intensity training, I am not against the use of a belt. I just choose not to use one.

Back