tendons

Thread: tendons

Rep Points

tendons

as you train and your muscls get bigger, do your tendons get thicker as well?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yes, tendons will get stronger. tendon strength is very important to strength and handeling heavier loads. However, tendons do not hypertrophy as quickly as muscle does so you need to be careful when progressing lifts and going for 1RMs. Make sure you are fully prepared and have built up to a certain strength level before hitting a 1RM and make sure that your 1RM attempt is resonable given your current level of strength.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

eduardo

Rep Points

what the hell is 1RM?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

1 rep maximum

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ABLQ2
    as you train and your muscls get bigger, do your tendons get thicker as well?
    Yes but much slower than skelital muscle...that's why you see all the injurys from steroid users when they get so strong so fast.....their tendons can't keep up with the muscles new strength.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

eduardo

Rep Points

does 1RM gives you a lot of results? more than 10 reps? how many 1RM r we talkin about.. let's say for benching

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mrpower
    does 1RM gives you a lot of results? more than 10 reps? how many 1RM r we talkin about.. let's say for benching

I don't understand your questions.

1RM is if you are training for strength or getting ready for a contest. You don't NEED to do a 1RM. It is not for everyone. I was just relating it to his question on tendon strength.

flawless

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by mrpower
    1RM = 1 rep max

That means you are lifting a weight that is the heaviest you can do for 1 rep.

For example

Bench Press
    135 x 8
    185 x 5
    205 x 3
    225 x 1

So, that means i can do 225 for 1 rep as my 1RM .. the heaviest i can do until i shoot for 230 or 235 the next time i attempt for a new 1RM

Just dont do it all the time

Rep Points

thanks.

what is the point of the 1RM anyway? if you are training to get stronger then you can judge your progress by your reps. 7 reps one week, then 9 the next means you are getting stronger. i have never attempted a 1RM because i don't see the point. if you need a number to tell someone there are calculators. i don't how accurate they would be though. any opinions?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by the_general64
    what is the point of the 1RM anyway? if you are training to get stronger then you can judge your progress by your reps. 7 reps one week, then 9 the next means you are getting stronger. i have never attempted a 1RM because i don't see the point. if you need a number to tell someone there are calculators. i don't how accurate they would be though. any opinions?

1RM means nothing unless you are a competitor.

Rep Points

The calculations are off, and the further away from the 1rm, the worse they are. Most who utilize a 1rm are strength athletes like Powerlifters.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

but is it just me or does this seem that a lot of non-competitors are overly concerned about there 1RM instead of focusing on getting bigger and stronger

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

but is it just me or does this seem that a lot of non-competitors are overly concerned about there 1RM instead of focusing on getting bigger and stronger

some people want to know. they set goals and they want to exceed them. testing your 1RM is a test of strength so I don't understand your question.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

I'm not a competitive weightlifter at the moment, but it's certainly nice to see where I stand in comparison to others. For example, if I can get my BW down to the next lowest class, and I can get my deadlift to keep increasing, I can have a chance at a deadlift record. I believe the record is 570 for the 181.75 class at the 16-17 age level. If I get my BW down to 180 and keep increasing my deadlift, it'd be possible to break the record. However, I can't do this if I don't know how I'm progressing in the lift. How do I track my progress? My 1RM. Even if I don't end up going for a record, I'll still know how I've been doing and whether I need some drastic changes in my routine.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Well, a 1RM is certainly going to help you get stronger. Lifting at very high intensities stresses the phosphagen energy pathway and invokes the most neural adaptations. These factors may be somewhat beneficial to those who don't compete in events that require such tests of absolute strength. Granted, the benefits are going to be limited in comparison, but there nonetheless.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos