Facebook    Twitter    YouTube    Instagram

Oats for Post Post Workout Meal (Dinner)

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Oats for Post Post Workout Meal (Dinner)

    Hello, sorry for another dinner question lol.

    I was just wondering I get home from gym at 6, have shake with banana, then 1 hour later at 7...I have dinner. Then I have CC/Almonds at 10, and go to sleep by 10:30.

    I was just wondering if a cup of oats was fine for dinner? I usually have brown rice, but I'm looking for alternatives. I never really thought of having oats for dinner. I would probally have oats, almonds, and chicken breast and some broccoli of course. I'm leaning towards oats because 1 cup is very calorie dense (300 cal) and I am low on my calories today, because I had a small lunch.

    Also is having 45-55g carbs for dinner (5th meal of the day) too much? On my old schedule I use to have fat/protein meals for my last two meals of the day. But I have to stick with the same workout time, because I am in a group with some amateur bodybuilders and they really work me out hard!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Jodi's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    22,982

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    162956643


    You can have oats in any carb meal you want. IMO, oats are a slightly better carb source than brown rice anyway.

  3. #3
    Elite Kiki
    BigDyl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Securityland
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,728

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    24446685

    Quote Originally Posted by r0dxx
    Hello, sorry for another dinner question lol.

    I was just wondering I get home from gym at 6, have shake with banana, then 1 hour later at 7...I have dinner. Then I have CC/Almonds at 10, and go to sleep by 10:30.

    I was just wondering if a cup of oats was fine for dinner? I usually have brown rice, but I'm looking for alternatives. I never really thought of having oats for dinner. I would probally have oats, almonds, and chicken breast and some broccoli of course. I'm leaning towards oats because 1 cup is very calorie dense (300 cal) and I am low on my calories today, because I had a small lunch.

    Also is having 45-55g carbs for dinner (5th meal of the day) too much? On my old schedule I use to have fat/protein meals for my last two meals of the day. But I have to stick with the same workout time, because I am in a group with some amateur bodybuilders and they really work me out hard!!
    Stop posting questions!!





    lol j/k.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbm8795 View Post
    Oh, I think Americans understand that the one thing conservatives hate the most is the idea of spending American tax money on Americans. . .in America.


    Your tax money is safe. . .in Iraq.
    Total ownage.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    You can have oats in any carb meal you want. IMO, oats are a slightly better carb source than brown rice anyway.
    Honestly 85% of my carbs come from oats, I love them too much and there soo good for you.

  5. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    baja calif, Mexico
    Age
    65
    Posts
    6,932

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by r0dxx
    Hello, sorry for another dinner question lol.

    I was just wondering I get home from gym at 6, have shake with banana, then 1 hour later at 7...I have dinner. Then I have CC/Almonds at 10, and go to sleep by 10:30.

    I was just wondering if a cup of oats was fine for dinner? I usually have brown rice, but I'm looking for alternatives. I never really thought of having oats for dinner. I would probally have oats, almonds, and chicken breast and some broccoli of course. I'm leaning towards oats because 1 cup is very calorie dense (300 cal) and I am low on my calories today, because I had a small lunch.

    Also is having 45-55g carbs for dinner (5th meal of the day) too much? On my old schedule I use to have fat/protein meals for my last two meals of the day. But I have to stick with the same workout time, because I am in a group with some amateur bodybuilders and they really work me out hard!!
    By all means. Also if your using them for a PWO meal, grind them as this will result in a faster acting carb.

    Tough

  6. #6
    Registered Abuser
    myCATpowerlifts's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Inner Space
    Posts
    7,393

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    177740862


    Quote Originally Posted by Tough Old Man
    By all means. Also if your using them for a PWO meal, grind them as this will result in a faster acting carb.

    Tough
    Will instant oatmeal work the same way, without the grinding?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    r0dxx's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Will instant oatmeal work the same way, without the grinding?
    Yes. Or you could use Quick Oats...

    But for PWO I usually use Dextrose/Banana as my carb sources.

  8. #8
    Acting Normal...


    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Different shades of black
    Posts
    5,554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1024185

    Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Will instant oatmeal work the same way, without the grinding?
    instant oats has lots of added crap in it - and so what exactly the GI does will depend on what they added...

    But quick oats will have a higher GI and will be more rapidly digested than old-fashioned rolled oats (larger surface area).
    ~


  9. #9
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    43

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    10

    Try this....Arrowhead Mills Steel Cut Oats
    1. 8g fiber per 1/4 cup
    2. Extremely easy to eat
    "Optimism is essential to achievement and it is also the foundation of courage and true progress."-Lloyd Alexander
    http://www.x-tremebodybuilding.com

Similar Threads

  1. Post workout meal while on AAS
    By msumuscle in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
  3. Pita bread or oats post workout
    By sicko in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 07:46 AM
  4. meal after post workout.
    By joey2005 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
  5. Post-workout protein shake/dinner timing?
    By anthonyryan1 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums