• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Tendon and Ligament Strength

Squaggleboggin

Functional Lifting = Life
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
In Kubik's 'Dinosaur Training' he specifically mentions tendon and ligament strength increases as a direct result of heavy rack work, particularly in the bench press and deadlift. I'm assuming that the same tendons and ligaments support the same muscles and muscle groups no matter what the muscles happen to be doing. Why, then, would the act of shortening the ROM and increasing the weight be more effective in strengthening the tendons and ligaments than standard, full ROM movements with the appropriate weight for that ROM? Maybe I'm just overthinking this and it's a really easy question, but I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.

Squaggleboggin said:
In Kubik's 'Dinosaur Training' he specifically mentions tendon and ligament strength increases as a direct result of heavy rack work, particularly in the bench press and deadlift. I'm assuming that the same tendons and ligaments support the same muscles and muscle groups no matter what the muscles happen to be doing. Why, then, would the act of shortening the ROM and increasing the weight be more effective in strengthening the tendons and ligaments than standard, full ROM movements with the appropriate weight for that ROM? Maybe I'm just overthinking this and it's a really easy question, but I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.

Maybe cuz with a rull ROM ur stretching and straining the tendon??

Technically you're doing the same thing to your muscles when you lift, though. And when you only do a small ROM your muscles only get the carryover within about 15° of that ROM (or so I've read from many sources) instead of being overall strengthened. I realize this can contribute to the overall movement, but the actual effective strength increase is only within a small portion of the movement.

I'm gonna go ahead and bump this because I'm still curious. Is it because when you use very heavy weights, the tendons and ligaments are forced to become stronger overall, thus making you more able to transfer power throughout the entire ROM?

You're placing the connective tissues under a great amount of tension when you use heavier weights. The same goes for muscles as well; the only issue is that you need a certain amount of volume for muscles to hypertrophy optimally. Perhaps connective tissue don't have the same prerequisite? Just specualtion on my part really.

When you are using a very limited ROM,
you are not placing maximum tension on the muscles....however, no matter what kind of ROM you are using, your tendons, ligaments, joints, are still under the same amount of pressure.
Now that's just speculation as well, but following that theory, using more weight with a very small amount of motion will strengthen your connective tissues more so than less weight and a full ROM.

I was thinking that the tendons will be placed under a greter load with the heavier weight that you can use through a partial range of motion. But, I would still want my tendons to be strong through a full ROM. I don't really know where he is going with that?

try emailing him.

brookskubik.com

I did indeed email him. Thanks for the speculation and suggestsions, everyone. I'm wondering if there have been any semi-recent studies on tendon and ligament strength, or if people really don't care enough to study something of such importance to dinosaurs - er, guys who lift heavy stuff. :)

His response (don't know if it's actually him, but it was nice to already get a response) was to read Pat O'Shea's 'Quantum Strength Training II.' Has anyone here read it? I'll probably check it out and buy it when I next remember and it is of convenience. Surely it's a good book if he recommends it.

I am sure it was him. I have emailed him before. He is a very nice guy. Most of those guys in this industry are pretty cool about helping out and answering questions.

Back