NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

A DeadLift Question

GertbeetFrobe

Rep Points

Post A DeadLift Question

I have max squats of 680 (4-6 reps), max flat bench of 450lbs (4-6 reps), but my deadlifts are low in my opinion 360-405lbs (4-6 reps). Now im 6'3" bout 250lbs and im wondering how to step up my weight in my deadlifts. I was thinking it might be cuz of my height but im not sure. Its just annoying that my training buddy is like 5'10" and about 170lbs and does as much as i do but doesnt touch me on my other powerlifts. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

How'd you get your other lifts so high? Yeah, do that for the deadlift.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

GertbeetFrobe

Rep Points

i've always been a big guy and my legs have always been strong becuase i had to carry my big ass around and playing sports on them, with the bench i just shot up real quick for some reason, i've always messed around with weights but never really got into it till novermber 04' (cuz i was going to cancun for spring break haahaha) i started benching at like 225 and from there i just shot right up. All my lifts have gone through the roof and im clean i use multivitamins protein but no growth hormones or anything. i Just want to get my deadlift up. I've worked on my form after i suffered a lower back injury but i haven't gotten the weight increase that ive wanted

Rep Points

The deadlift uses a huge amount of legs, so whatever you're doing for squats may very well work for deadlifts. What's your weak point in the movement?

Rep Points

I just about shit myself reading those stats, VERY IMPRESSIVE

are we talking ass to grass squat????? 680 for 4-6 reps is elite status if your going ass to calves. as a matter of fact i dont think ive heard of ANYONE IN THE WORLD doing that much if they went ALL THE WAY DOWN. parallel with that weight is impressive in itself.

Rep Points

Olympic lifters can do that weight ATG with front squats. Not that I'm trying to take away from the stats or anything, they're definitely amazing. In fact, I was tempted to tell him he doesn't need help because he's too much of a beast as it is.

Rep Points

How tall are you?

My guess is that your squats aren't ass to grass, otherwise I would imagine your dead would be much higher. Train the full range of motion in the squat and your dead will follow. The DL requires you to be strong at that range of motion because it starts in that range of motion.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Mayhem
    I have max squats of 680 (4-6 reps), max flat bench of 450lbs (4-6 reps), but my deadlifts are low in my opinion 360-405lbs (4-6 reps). Now im 6'3" bout 250lbs.

Rep Points

I only read the important parts.

Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    Olympic lifters can do that weight ATG with front squats. Not that I'm trying to take away from the stats or anything, they're definitely amazing. In fact, I was tempted to tell him he doesn't need help because he's too much of a beast as it is.
    but they arent natural and i dont think they could do 4-6 reps of that particular weight.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This PDF may help. I cobbled it together from three article over at T-Nation.

Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish
    but they arent natural and i dont think they could do 4-6 reps of that particular weight.
    Actually the weightlifting community was among the first to test for drugs. They have completely random tests for anyone who goes into serious competitions. Raza Zadeh (I can never spell his damn name) can do it. The video is in the olympic lifting thread started by P-Funk somewhere. That video is so awesome, but I think he's doing 700x2 ATG. Even though it's not 4-6 reps, an ATG front squat with anywhere near that weight is simply amazing.

Rep Points

Raza Zadeh is not natural..... and I don't think he is doing those atg.

obviously he is very strong but still 680x4-6 ATG squats is almost unheard of and imo pushing the limits of human strength.

Rep Points

Have you seen the video though? They're definitely ATG and he has no problem with the weight at all. It's a little disturbing, actually. But in a good way...

GertbeetFrobe

Rep Points

i go to 90 degree angle =( i usually use a bench and when my ass hits the bench i push up.. so no there not ass to grass squats... Shit i dont no if my knee's could handle the pressure of getting that low. My sticking point is in the middle. I think it might be that i threw a disk about a year ago and was outta commisson for awile now im scared to injure myself again once i get half way and if i dont feel perfect i just put it down.. i dont no though is there any techneques that i could do to get through mysticking point. Im not into the powerlifting and shit so i dont go ass to grass i just love to lift and i have fun at the gym, but now that yall say that ill prolly drop the weight and curl myself up into an upright fetal position when i squat. =)

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Mayhem
    i go to 90 degree angle =( i usually use a bench and when my ass hits the bench i push up.. so no there not ass to grass squats... Shit i dont no if my knee's could handle the pressure of getting that low. My sticking point is in the middle. I think it might be that i threw a disk about a year ago and was outta commisson for awile now im scared to injure myself again once i get half way and if i dont feel perfect i just put it down.. i dont no though is there any techneques that i could do to get through mysticking point. Im not into the powerlifting and shit so i dont go ass to grass i just love to lift and i have fun at the gym, but now that yall say that ill prolly drop the weight and curl myself up into an upright fetal position when i squat. =)

The bottom of an ATG squat is the same as the bottom of a DL. If you can't get all the way down on a squat to train that range of motion it is no wonder your DL is much smaller than your squat. Add to that you mention you have back problems so you can't cheat the weight up by SLDLing it at the beginning.

GertbeetFrobe

Rep Points

My back is fine now i just had that one occurence when i was messing around with the weight and doing things i shouldnt have been doing and i hurt myself but i havent had any pain in over a year. im just scared to ever do that again. ( lots and lots of pain, and bored due to the fact that i couldnt do anything) =). But thanx for the advise i will get my big ass to the ground now when im preforming squats.

GertbeetFrobe

Rep Points

i tried 455 today just the for the hell of it at the end of my regualr rep range workout for back and i got it up twice. i was pretty happy about it. and the fact is i know i can go up more. 2 thigns i changed were my grip, i usually use a wider grip, i got my hands in about 18"'s apart and it seemed a hell of a lot easier. another things is i got past my mental block, i have been afraid of hurting my back again but i know with strict form i wont hurt my back, and i had my friend call me a pussy until i did it so that always helps in 2 weeks im gonna get 500 up i know i can do it.

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

listen to dale, take your ass to the ground on squats and your deadlift will climb.
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches