• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Breathing

pengers84

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
When doing weights should you concentrate on your breathing? ie inhale when raising the bar on the bench press then exhale when lowering it, or just breath naturally?

bench-lowering inhale
pushing back up exhale

i think its like this correct me if i'm wrong
negative-inhale positive exhale

That's the basic idea. If benching, breathe in on the way down, out on the way up... Or do what I do, and hold my breath after bringing the weight down, until you're about 3/4 of the way up again, then release, then breathe in again on the way down etc etc etc etc.

This should help you push more weight if you can get in the habit of it. A no-no is holding your breath through the whole set, which a lot of people tend to do if they aren't paying attention.

squanto said:
That's the basic idea. If benching, breathe in on the way down, out on the way up... Or do what I do, and hold my breath after bringing the weight down, until you're about 3/4 of the way up again, then release, then breathe in again on the way down etc etc etc etc.

This should help you push more weight if you can get in the habit of it. A no-no is holding your breath through the whole set, which a lot of people tend to do if they aren't paying attention.

haha lmao..i hold between taking off cruthes and bringing down the bar the i blow out going back up

kenwood said:
haha lmao..i hold between taking off cruthes and bringing down the bar the i blow out going back up

Ahh i see. Now in english please?

squanto said:
Ahh i see. Now in english please?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i hold my breath when taking off the crutches then all the way down then i blow out going back up.....better?

Haha ok i see. Yeah i pretty much do the same thing i guess. Kinda hard to remember exactly what I do, it's all subconscious now. :hmmm:

pengers84 said:
When doing weights should you concentrate on your breathing? ie inhale when raising the bar on the bench press then exhale when lowering it, or just breath naturally?

How about you breathe naturally and concentrate on lifting weights while lifting weights? It wouldn't hurt to pay attention a few times on your breathing just to make sure you are - but you'll quickly work out if your breathing is out of whack because you'll pass out.

IML Gear Cream!
MyK said:
my brain just exploded!

You must of been holding you breath!

Yeah, inhale on the negative and exhale on the positive is generally the breathing technique used. However, I do generally hold my breath through the toughest part of the lift to get more weight up and help protect my spine via increased IAP.

Pay very close attention to your breathing, collapsing while doing deadlifts or curls is not fun....anyone who says to not focus on breathing is wrong imo. When your focus is being directed at lifting hundreds of pounds for multiple reps, a person will often restrict their breathing (i.e. holding breath while doing a lift and not catching back up).

Even when focusing on breathing, I almost lose balance and have to sit and breath and rest for a few mintues after doing deadlifts.

Back