NapsGear.net

Do you guys think. . .

View Poll Results: Is it possible to get the same workout without a spotter, as you can with one?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

18 60.00%
  • Nope

12 40.00%

Rep Points

Do you guys think. . .

Alright well here's the breakdown, NONE of my friends lift weights. Not one of my friends wants to start lifting, they all either play soccer and don't think its something they need to do, or they are lazy worms who are just fine with being pale and skinny all their lives. I on the other hand, have every intention of being the guy in the room who's so dense and huge that nobody would dare think of messing with him. Not to mention the fact that weight lifting is actually enjoyable to me now. So here is my question. . .

Do you guys think it is possible to get the same workout without a spotter, or a lifting partner, as it would be if you had a spotter? I don't think it is possible and this bothers me. Ok peace

Rep Points

to an extent yes..maxing out on anything w/out spotter bad idea though

Fitness Celebrity

Rep Points

Most people don't work out with a friend. It's nice to have a lifting partner, but it can be tough to find someone to lift with you, on your schedule, on your level, etc.

The truth is you don't really need a spotter 90% of the time. You can bench press just fine without one, just make sure to stop yourself a rep or two short of failure. Or, you could just ask someone at your gym to spot you, I've never seen anyone refuse a spot before. However, make sure you tell the person what you want them to do, sometimes they can make the set worse than it wouldve been without a spotter!

As for other exercises, why would you need a spotter? Unless you're doing negatives or something, but they are by no means mandatory.

Poop

Rep Points

Well, I would ask the guys at my gym if they weren't all stuck up rich bastards who only care about themselves. But thats what I get for working out at a country club right?

Graham

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by thelawnmower
    Well, I would ask the guys at my gym if they weren't all stuck up rich bastards who only care about themselves. But thats what I get for working out at a country club right?

Graham
    lmao..true, true

IM Ball Buster

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by thelawnmower
    Do you guys think it is possible to get the same workout without a spotter, or a lifting partner, as it would be if you had a spotter?
    yes
    Some people get lost in thought because it's such unfamiliar territory. -G. Behn

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The13ig13adWolf
    yes
    I concur.

I have never really had a spotter before and I've done just fine. As squanto said, stop short of failure. It's an unnecessary training procedure and there are many other ways to get similar results if endurance or hypertrophy is what you're going for. You can also use objects other than DBs and BBs to do your workouts. See my journal (link in signature) for the types of fun you can have with sandbags.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Rep Points

Not a chance
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

the unbanned

Rep Points

Indeed!

Rep Points

The only time I ever want a spot is for heavy bench. Every other exercise I can handle fine on my own...why wouldnt you be able to.

Rep Points

i dont need a spotter for anything..but it is nice to have a friend around ..since i workout in my basement and i dont need a spotter b/c i got a brand new power rack

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Not at all...
    If you had a great workout partner that you had been working out with for years ...then you would know what I mean.
    I have been working out with one of my best friends for over 3 years, and we know exactly how the other needs/wants to be spotted.
    I really couldn't have a good workout without him there.

True story

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

No.

Some of the benefits of having a parter:

• The ability to push yourself because you have a "safety net" (and I'm not talking about going to failure).
    • The unspoken (or perhaps spoken) comptetion that motivates.
    • The extra level of variety.
    • Having an extra set of eyes to ensure proper form.

Rep Points

Good posts from both sides. I would say for me personally, yes. I don't need anyone screaming "it's all you man, you got this".
    For somebody who has trouble pushing themselves to lift with a high level of intensity, no.

Rep Points

I have found that having a spotter when I'm benching over 400 lbs helps my training.......better to have him pull the weight up and rack it, then for me to be crushed under it .....I find this really helps on those days when I seem to be somewhat weak or when I get a cramp or just tire faster than normal.

Avoiding death or serious injury has improved my training quite a bit.
    www.ironmaglabs.com

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    I have found that having a spotter when I'm benching over 400 lbs helps my training.......better to have him pull the weight up and rack it, then for me to be crushed under it .....I find this really helps on those days when I seem to be somewhat weak or when I get a cramp or just tire faster than normal.

Rep Points

my point.....only on heavy bench.

Functional Lifting = Life

Rep Points

This can be taken care of simply by training with the appropriate equipment (power rack or other life-saving device).

I can always focus and motivate myself more when I'm alone. I work vey well alone. Oddly enough, I'm very good at motivating others when they need it. Personally though, I just listen to music or simply go into a trance. I don't need someone else there to help me get there. I must say, however, that with my current training (experimenting with sand bags), it's much, much more fun to do when someone else is there (or so it seemed the first time haha).
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

ofcourse it is possible. I work out alone most of the time. If you don't have a spotter just don't train to failure.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    This can be taken care of simply by training with the appropriate equipment (power rack or other life-saving device).

I can always focus and motivate myself more when I'm alone. I work vey well alone. Oddly enough, I'm very good at motivating others when they need it. Personally though, I just listen to music or simply go into a trance. I don't need someone else there to help me get there. I must say, however, that with my current training (experimenting with sand bags), it's much, much more fun to do when someone else is there (or so it seemed the first time haha).
    I disagree 100%, it might work for some lifts but for incline, decline and flat bench it will not. When you are moving 400-600 on bench it is essential you have a spotter.......or you could die.
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Adamjs

Rep Points

I disagree 100%, it might work for some lifts but for incline, decline and flat bench it will not. When you are moving 400-600 on bench it is essential you have a spotter.......or you could die.
    Ok - I can't exactly move 400 - but I agree with FR on this. When you go heavy (heavy for you, whatever that may be) with freeweights you need someone to spot regardless of whether you are going to failure or not.

There's always the possibility something can go wrong without someone there to save your arse. Ok, he's an example, a far-fetched one, but an example none the less, the pin could fail, puting the bar out of whack, and you could twist/pull/tear a muscle - with the spotter there's no injury.

But when going light - spotter's just get in the way.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Fuck a spotter. I just bench without clips. Hell, I hit 1RMs without a spotter. Everyone I come across is just too fucking retarded to give a proper spot, even with direction. If I get stuck, then I rack it on the lower stands, do a sit-up, or dump the plates if all else fails. You can also press in a cage, use a little arch so that when you release the arch you drop below the pins, and do it in total safety.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Registered Abuser

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by P-funk
    ofcourse it is possible. I work out alone most of the time. If you don't have a spotter just don't train to failure.
    http://ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=59520

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by myCATpowerlifts
    Kooky. That link has a double "http://" at the beginning. I'm using FireFox and when I click on it, it takes me to Microsoft's website.

http://http//ironmagazineforums.com/...ad.php?t=59520

End of the world
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by kenwood
    to an extent yes..maxing out on anything w/out spotter bad idea though
    Haven't you ever heard of a power cage?

Rep Points

Wow I really like that page, that explained exactly what my next question was. Now I get to find out wtf a power cage is. . .

Graham

Rep Points

OK thats cool. . .when is christmas again? damn. . .

Grahambo