• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Nuts!

w8lifter

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Nuts have long been considered as fatty and low in nutritional value. It was once commonplace to recommend that people with coronary heart disease avoid or limit their consumption of nuts. However, recent research has found that nuts may actually protect against heart disease. In one study, eating a handful of nuts five times per week was found to halve the risk of heart disease.
Low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol is considered the 'bad' cholesterol because it is associated with the development of artherosclerosis (a condition characterised by the silting up and narrowing of the arteries). Saturated fat is largely responsible for these increases in blood cholesterol. Nuts contain mainly mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which can reduce blood cholesterol levels. The phytochemicals in nuts also show protective properties.

Nutritional composition
Different types of nuts contain slightly different nutrients but, generally, the nutritional content of nuts includes:

Low levels of saturated fats.
High levels of mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
No cholesterol.
Phytochemicals, such as phytoestrogens and phenolic compounds.
Dietary fibre.
Plant protein, which makes them a good alternative to meat.
Vitamins E, B6, niacin and folic acid.
Minerals such as magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium, copper, selenium and potassium.
Effects on the blood vessels and cholesterol
Protein is made up of chains of molecules called amino acids. Nuts contain an amino acid called 'acid arginine', which has been found to combat the effects of artherosclerosis by dilating arteries. Both selenium (found mostly in brazil nuts) and vitamin E (found mostly in almonds, peanuts and hazelnuts) help to protect against heart disease by reducing the oxidisation of LDL cholesterol. They may also protect against certain types of cancer. Research into blood cholesterol has found that oxidisation of LDL cholesterol is an important step in the development of artherosclerosis. Mono-unsaturated fats also reduce the capacity of LDL cholesterol to oxidise, which means that fatty plaques are less likely to line artery walls. Several studies have shown that consuming nuts like almonds, peanuts and walnuts can reduce serum cholesterol levels. A study reported in the Annals of Internal Medicine (April 2000) showed that, when walnuts were added to the diet, total and LDL cholesterol dropped by four to six per cent. It is not clear what the active ingredient in the nuts is that lowers cholesterol.

Exceptions to the healthy rule
Most nuts (including almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, brazil nuts, chestnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pistachios) contain mainly mono-unsaturated fats. The exceptions are coconut and palm nuts, which contain high levels of saturated fats. Saturated fats have been associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease. However, there is emerging evidence that saturated fats from plant foods and oils (like coconut), when consumed in traditional dishes with other plant foods and fish, may not be as likely to cause artherosclerosis.

Nuts and obesity
Dietary fats are energy dense, with twice the amount of kilojoules per gram (37kJ) as either protein (17kJ) or carbohydrate (16kJ). People who are overweight and obese can still benefit from the protective properties of nuts, without associated weight gain, if they eat moderate amounts - perhaps a handful or so twice a week - instead of eating high fat processed foods. Some nuts contain more fat than others, but varieties such as chestnuts offer comparatively low amounts of fat. It is best to eat fresh nuts, rather than varieties that have been roasted in fat and heavily salted. Eating nuts with vegetable stir-fries also tends to prevent eating too many, which can happen when nuts are eaten as a snack.

A study of more than 15,000 people conducted by the US Department of Agriculture in 2000 found that nut eaters had a slightly better diet than those who didn't eat nuts. However, both groups needed improvement to their diets. Nevertheless, this study shows that adding high fat foods to a diet doesn't necessarily make the diet unhealthy.

Nuts and allergy
Peanuts (and to a lesser extent brazil nuts, almonds and hazelnuts) can cause acute allergy in young children. This can be life threatening. Young children with a predisposition to allergies should avoid peanuts and other types of nuts as, once developed, this allergy will probably persist into adulthood.

Where to get help
Your doctor
Dietitian.

Things to remember
Nuts can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
Nuts contain mono-unsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and other compounds that influence blood cholesterol.
People who are overweight or obese should eat nuts in moderation instead of high fat processed foods in the diet.

BetterHealth

Excellent article W8! I'm learning so much from your posts that I feel like I'm back in college.

WOW , you really done your homework W8. I used to feel guilty if i had the odd handful of almonds or cashew nuts. So i guess I shouldnt now.

I eat about a half a cup of almonds everyday (at 1 time). Is that to much. I eat it with a protein shake for a meal.

Originally posted by Prince

I love cashews, my favorite! :lick:

Cashew wholes. I splurge and spend the extra 30 cents.

What about the good 'ol Pistachio ?

I agree with the cashew comments THEY RULE !!!

Back