Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Eating right while traveling

Rep Points

Eating right while traveling

I'm going out of town for a week. My hotel room will have a microwave and a fridge. How can I continue to eat healthy without having access to fresh-cooked meals? Deli-section at the supermarket? Any suggestions would be great.

Rep Points

cottage cheese
    fresh fruit
    Canned Tuna

You could also buy cooked chicken brest at a deli or grocery store and put it in the fridge.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboy
    I'm going out of town for a week. My hotel room will have a microwave and a fridge. How can I continue to eat healthy without having access to fresh-cooked meals? Deli-section at the supermarket? Any suggestions would be great.
    I travel for work regulary. I take my whey, oats, nuts, a mini blender I got from walmart for $10 and a microwave safe container with me. When I get where I'm going, I head to the grocery store and get bottled water, skim milk, fruits, cottage cheese, etc. I make the oats in the morning in the microwave safe bowl and in between meals I make shakes. When I go out for dinner/lunch I pick the healthiest things - grilled chicken breast, salmon, rice, veggies. You just gotta be careful that there isn't some sauce on the stuff. I usually just ask and if there is I either tell them that I don't want it or to bring it on the side.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Fruit fruit (apples are very portable)
    Baggies of protein powder
    tins of tuna
    Baggies of nuts
    Cans of legumes (eg: chick peas or lentils)
    Tubs of natural yoghurt and skim milk
    Baggies of oats
    And fresh vegetables (eg: broccoli, celery, lettuce, cucumber, tomato)
    fish oil caps

These are all pretty easy to find and store and should keep you healthy till you get back home.
    ~

Rep Points

i just drove 1250 miles in two days. my diet was absolutely atrocious! it's remarkable how difficult it is to find decent food near interstates. ><

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thats when you hit up the supermarket.

Acting Normal...

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by garethhe
    i just drove 1250 miles in two days. my diet was absolutely atrocious! it's remarkable how difficult it is to find decent food near interstates. ><
    This always amazes me - in Aust, no matter where you are - there is always a healthy option....

Petrol stations always have skim milk, baskets of apples or fruit, bags of nuts (usually peanuts) and sometimes sandwiches too... if you are lucky they also have a 'mini supermarket' attached and will have cans of tuna, deli meat, and even vegetables... There is also corner stores in most places that will sell the same sorts of things... And, as it was said, when ever you hit a town supermarkets give the perfect opportunity to stock up on easy portables...

Sure - not perfect but you never have to worry too much...
    ~

Rep Points

Rather than create an entirely new thread, I thought I would just ask my question about eating while traveling here.

I have the same situation- I will be traveling for about 1.5 weeks, but will NOT have a fridge or microwave in my room. Breakfast, lunch and dinner should be easy enough to get some decent food at restaurants, etc..., but Im traveling with a bunch of other people, and I dont think it would be possible to hit up a restuarant every 3 hours, lol.

So.... is my only option protein bars while out and about? If so, what is a decent bar to buy? (it seems a lot of bars have a ton of fat, or sugar, or something bad in them). What are some other dry goods to buy? Nuts.... canned tuna/chicken (btw- is there a good recipe for eating this using dry ingredients??)... anything else?

Thanks

Rep Points

I generally think that bars suck, but sometimes when I travel I get in a pinch. Tri-o-plex bars are the only ones I will eat because they are whole grain. They are the closest to real food, IMHO. But I still don't rely on them.

Can you visit the store once a day or every other day? Get a cooler and pack it daily.

Emma-Leigh gave some great examples, I'd bring the same things.

I just put balsamic vinegar with my tuna.

VanessaNicole
    The more
    The marble wastes,
    The more the statue grows.

Michelangelo

Rep Points

tuna balsamic red onion
    "Each step I take past my edge makes me realize it has and always will be just an illusion."-me

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

skimmed milk - oats - nuts and peanuts and peanut butter- cottage chease - tuna -smoked salmon - potatoes - if u have a place to boil water then eggs will be great

Rep Points

Thanks, I cant have any perishable items in the hotel room (no frig), and i also dont have a microwave. I may use Emma's idea about the cooler...., but for now I am planning this:

Eating clean foods as much as possible (in accordance with the 6 meal a day)

For those times I cant eat food from a restaurant, etc..., then I plan on bringing along some RTD protein shakes or possible just protein powder packs and a shaker; some oats and/or muscle n oats (protein plus oats) and just using hot tap water to mix; tuna fish cans and some non perishable ingredients (mustard, balsamic, old bay, etc....); and keeping some bottles of water in the hotel room.

Thanks for your help! Im also using this almost 2 week vacation to take a break from lifting and recharge. Hopefully I wont backtrack too much! When I start lifting again in July, I plan on starting a bulk, so I may have more questions later.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I travel quite a bit, but I'm not a fan of bars either. check out the prepackaged shakes from EAS. the low carb versions are about 100 cals each, don't require chilling, and taste OK. they can get you thru the day.
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    This always amazes me - in Aust, no matter where you are - there is always a healthy option....

Petrol stations always have skim milk, baskets of apples or fruit, bags of nuts (usually peanuts) and sometimes sandwiches too... if you are lucky they also have a 'mini supermarket' attached and will have cans of tuna, deli meat, and even vegetables... There is also corner stores in most places that will sell the same sorts of things... And, as it was said, when ever you hit a town supermarkets give the perfect opportunity to stock up on easy portables...

Sure - not perfect but you never have to worry too much...
    i dont think these americans will know what a petrol station is ,,i think there term is gas store or something

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by aceshigh
    i dont think these americans will know what a petrol station is ,,i think there term is gas store or something
    Just because we have a different name for them doesn't mean we don't know what they are. For instance, you seem to grasp the concept of a gas station just fine...
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by aceshigh

:::sigh:::

Well, we know what petrol is...so from there we can make a pretty decent educated guess...

VanessaNicole
    The more
    The marble wastes,
    The more the statue grows.

Michelangelo