Does more mass = greater strength gains

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Registered User
    footballmaniac's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    467

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1052584

    Does more mass = greater strength gains

    If you have more muscle mass is it easier to gain strength?

  2. #2
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    skeletal muscle hypertrophy = more mass and more strength...
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    skeletal muscle hypertrophy = more mass and more strength...
    Correction...

    =a higher capacity for strength gain.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  4. #4
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Correction...

    =a higher capacity for strength gain.
    Correction......you are wrong go look up the definition of skeletal hypertrophy
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    Correction......you are wrong go look up the definition of skeletal hypertrophy
    I am not sure what skeletal hypertrophy is, but muscular hypertrophy is enlargement of muscle fibers and does not necessarily equate to higher levels of strength. Tendon attachment has a great deal to do with it, but holding that constant, motor unit recruitment has more to do with strength. Look up Rob Wagner, a powerlifter. I think you outweigh him by 40-50lbs, and I imagine his bench press is larger than yours, and that is his weak lift. And he competes in tested events., and is a couple of years older than you.

    If hypertrophy were the only variable, BBers would hold all of the strength records. They hold none. Hypertrophy gives you a certain capacity for strength gain, actual strength training gets you closer to that capacity.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    I am not sure what skeletal hypertrophy is, but muscular hypertrophy is enlargement of muscle fibers and does not necessarily equate to higher levels of strength. Motor unit recruitment and tendon attachment have as much to do with strength as hypertrophy. Look up Rob Wagner, a powerlifter. I think you outweigh him by 40-50lbs, and I imagine his bench press is larger than yours, and that is his weak lift. And he competes in tested events., and is a couple of years older than you.
    You miss-read my post....here it is again
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/sh...16&postcount=2
    You can see that I said " skeletal muscle hypertrophy" not skeletal hyper trophy......

    Here is the definition of skeletal muscle: Muscle composed of cylindrical multinucleate cells with obvious striations; the muscle(s) attached to the body's skeleton; voluntart muscle.

    Here is some info on skeletal muscle hypertrophy

    Force of Muscle Contraction
    The force of muscle contraction is affected by (1) the number of muscle fibers stimulated, (2) the relative size of the fibers,
    (3) frequency of stimulation, and (4) the degree of muscle stretch.

    Size of Muscle Fibers Stimulated
    The bulkier the muscle ( the greater its cross-sectional area), the more tension it can develope and the greater its strength, but there is more to it than this. As noted earlier, the large fibers of large motor units are very effective in producing the most powerful movements. Regular exercise increases muscle force by causing cells to hypertrophy or increase in size.


    Hope that clears up my opinions on the topic.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  7. #7
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Also their is more to world records in power than muscular measurements.....the length of bones, the attachmnet sites of muscles, and many other things people are just born with.

    You and a guy of your exact height, weight and muscle size will not have the same exact strength.....and you two will not have the exact same time in the 100m dash, you will not have the same ping pong skills... its just genetics....life aint fair...
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Just semantics...It's why you do a hypertrophy cycle right before a strength cycle. You build up the cross-sectional area allowing for a higher capacity for strength gain, then you work on recruiting more fibers in a strength cycle.

    If you hold recruitment constant, then you are correct. Hypertrophy training isn't that great at hitting the fibers that need to be recruited for "strength".

    I was just breaking balls on the skeletal hypertrophy thing, I know what you meant. Furthermore, I knew that you knew that you knew what you meant.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules

    You and a guy of your exact height, weight and muscle size will not have the same exact strenght.....and you two will not have the exact same time in the 100m dash.....its just genetics....life aint fair...
    I know, I would be faster.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  10. #10
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Just semantics...It's why you do a hypertrophy cycle right before a strength cycle. You build up the cross-sectional area allowing for a higher capacity for strength gain, then you work on recruiting more fibers in a strength cycle.

    If you hold recruitment constant, then you are correct. Hypertrophy training isn't that great at hitting the fibers that need to be recruited for "strength".

    I was just breaking balls on the skeletal hypertrophy thing, I know what you meant. Furthermore, I knew that you knew that you knew what you meant.
    No it is the actual definition from a Anatomy & Physiology text book. If you choose to disreguard it then fine, thats your business. I think it is the main factor that determines muscle strength, but not the only one.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    No it is the actual definition from a Anatomy & Physiology text book. If you choose to disreguard it then fine, thats your business. I think it is the main factor that determines muscle strength, but not the only one.

    Strength shouldn't be in the definition of hypertrophy. Also, I think the "can develop" part is misleading. Assume you and I start an 8 week training program and are of equal strength, and I do 4 weeks of hypertrophy training followed by 4 weeks of strength training, and you do 8 weeks of hypertrophy training. You would come out of it with a greater increase in muscle size (hypertrophy), but I would come out with greater strength increase.

    Hypertrophy leads to larger muscle fibers to recruit, but the high-end fibers are not recruited with hypertrophy training, thus you need to train at a lower rep range.

    I know you aren't saying it is the only factor. What I am saying is it gives you a greater potential for strength increase, but you will not realize that potential thru hypertrophy training. Also, given the above example, if I trained strength for 8 weeks and you trained in a hypertrophy range, I believe I would come out stronger at the end of that 8 weeks, but if we continud that over a longer time period and you threw in a couple of strength cycles, you would eventually surpass me.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Strength shouldn't be in the definition of hypertrophy. Also, I think the "can develop" part is misleading. Assume you and I start an 8 week training program and are of equal strength, and I do 4 weeks of hypertrophy training followed by 4 weeks of strength training, and you do 8 weeks of hypertrophy training. You would come out of it with a greater increase in muscle size (hypertrophy), but I would come out with greater strength increase.

    Hypertrophy leads to larger muscle fibers to recruit, but the high-end fibers are not recruited with hypertrophy training, thus you need to train at a lower rep range.

    I know you aren't saying it is the only factor. What I am saying is it gives you a greater potential for strength increase, but you will not realize that potential thru hypertrophy training. Also, given the above example, if I trained strength for 8 weeks and you trained in a hypertrophy range, I believe I would come out stronger at the end of that 8 weeks, but if we continud that over a longer time period and you threw in a couple of strength cycles, you would eventually surpass me.
    Defien the difference in these two types of training....
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,577

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    249481082


    Hypertrophy rep range 8-12, strength rep range 2-8. Keeping in mind you will get some strength from the hypertrophy and vice versa. 60 seconds between sets for hypertrophy, complete recovery for strength. Similar volume.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  14. #14
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    12,542

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    16200062

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    Hypertrophy rep range 8-12, strength rep range 2-8. Keeping in mind you will get some strength from the hypertrophy and vice versa. 60 seconds between sets for hypertrophy, complete recovery for strength. Similar volume.
    I agree with you then if you are talking about a 1 rep max.....If I do sets of 10-12 and you do sets of 3-5 and we are identacal twins at the exact same training level when we start then in the end I would be better at a 12 rep max and you would be better than a 3 rep max..
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

  15. #15
    Functional Lifting = Life


    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,537

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    3146125

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry
    I would come out stronger at the end of that 8 weeks, but if we continud that over a longer time period and you threw in a couple of strength cycles, you would eventually surpass me.
    Using this logic, if a bodybuilder 'threw in a couple of strength cycles' he would be able to set world records. Interesting theory, but I smell BS unless I'm completely misunderstanding you.
    Push yourself. Enjoy yourself. Be yourself.
    Knowledge is power. Obsessed with functional strength. Journal

Similar Threads

  1. Releasing The Secret To Greater Gains
    By Prince in forum Muscle Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM
  2. strength cycle designed to keep strength gains
    By endurance724 in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
  3. Strength Gains with MD
    By Luke9583 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM
  4. strength gains = muscle mass?
    By perfecto in forum Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums