I figured it out! (I think...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Question I figured it out! (I think...)

I think I finally ‘get it’ after all these years of looking for the ‘perfect’ program. I had a tendency to jump from one program to another, always searching for the next ‘new thing’ with regards to workout routines. I tried to construct some plans of my own, but they didn’t seem to last to long. My main issue was time. I’m married, work 50-55 hours a week, we have a small child, have other hobbies, etc. I’d try to come up with a plan that I thought I could stick to, but sooner or later the plan got off track. Maybe it was working late several nights in a row, maybe it was our child getting sick, maybe it was the chores around the house that needed to be caught up on, maybe it was an unexpected trip out of town, etc. Basically, the plans that I was coming up with were getting derailed way too easily, leaving me back at square one. Then I found a couple of books that completely changed the way I look at my training. They helped me see my training in a realistic, real world light. Why construct a routine that is so elaborate that it doesn’t take too much to throw the whole thing off? These two books seemed to be speaking to regular Joes/guys with commitments other than the gym. You know, guys with jobs, families, and other outside interests.

I have been reading ‘The New Rules of Lifting’ by Lou Schuler & Alwyn Cosgrove and ‘Beyond Brawn’ by Stuart Mc Robert. Both of these books stress a serious ‘back to basics’ approach. Alwyn Cosgrove bases everything around the six major body movements: squat, push, pull, deadlift, lunge, and twist. Virtually all exercises can be traced back to one of these movement types. The programs that Alwyn has incorporated into the ‘New Rules’ are great. At least I think so. I now understand that I no longer need to spend 90-120 minutes, 5+ days a week hitting each and every single muscle with its ‘own’ exercise. Squats, deadllifts, bench presses, rows, overhead presses and crunches hit pretty much every body from head to toe. Plus the way that Cosgrove sets up his routines are with body movements, not body parts. For example, if I need to pick up a sack of concrete, am I going to try to curl it up? No, it’s a movement similar to the deadlift. I know no one curls cement bags, but I was trying to make a point.

While Mc Robert can get a little preachy at times, his message suddenly hits home as well: concentrate on movements like the squat, deadlift, chin, bench press, dip, overhead press and stiff leg deadlift and you’ll be fine. Toss in a few sets for the biceps and triceps if you absolutely feel that you just have to have them.

I’m very happy that I’ve found these two books, they’ve completely changed my training outlook. So, all that being said have any of you folks ever felt like me, with regards to finally figuring it out? I understand that there is still a huge amount to learn, but I have a feeling that it will be much easier for me to spot the good information from the bad information that’s out there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    S.

Fueled by Testosterone
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

I feel you there. Although I am not quite as strapped for time as you, I make sure I can work my elaborate programs into my life. However, if things did really get hectic, then I would do full body routines which I always base on the major compounds. My routines have always been based on them really. I'm glad you've seen the light.

How's the Cosgrove book by the way?

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I agree 100%.....It only took me about 15 years to figure it out too I used to lift 5-6 days and play ball 2 or 3 times a week. But now I focus on compound movements three times a week. I'm trying to throw in some cardio two days a week as well.

Functional Lifting = Life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I also had a very structured routine for a while. I made sure I worked out and then rested x amount of days after each different session. Then I realized that this is stupid. My body won't respond the same way to each session, even if the exercises are the same - one day I may have a ton of energy and really push myself to the limit; another day I may only complete what I tried to complete. I usually try to rest at least one more day than I think I should (no less than two days off between workouts) because of the nature of my training. I know that many people successfully train similar compound movements all in one day and then work out again while they're still sore. I choose not to do this for my own reasons and it works for me. It's always great to realize what works and doesn't work for you and it's always great to start doing it.

Fueled by Testosterone
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    I also had a very structured routine for a while. I made sure I worked out and then rested x amount of days after each different session. Then I realized that this is stupid. My body won't respond the same way to each session, even if the exercises are the same - one day I may have a ton of energy and really push myself to the limit; another day I may only complete what I tried to complete. I usually try to rest at least one more day than I think I should (no less than two days off between workouts) because of the nature of my training. I know that many people successfully train similar compound movements all in one day and then work out again while they're still sore. I choose not to do this for my own reasons and it works for me. It's always great to realize what works and doesn't work for you and it's always great to start doing it.
    When I was doing a pure HIT routine I was lifting MWF one week and MF the next. It is extremely demanding and requires a lot of recovery time.

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Squaggleboggin
    If you've figured this out and you're only 16....You are WAY ahead of the game.....Many of us here have trained the same way for 15+ years before figuring it out.

Keep learning

Functional Lifting = Life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmoomba
    If you've figured this out and you're only 16....You are WAY ahead of the game.....Many of us here have trained the same way for 15+ years before figuring it out.

Keep learning
    Thanks, but it's really because I'm surrounded by people who know an incredible amount about lifting and who are very willing to help; I can only hope to keep learning more.

3UZFE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sharkattack
    for For example, if I need to pick up a sack of concrete, am I going to try to curl it up? No, it’s a movement similar to the deadlift. I know no one curls cement bags, but I was trying to make a point.

Thanks!
    S.
    I used to think the same way, now I mostly do compunds as well. BTW I used to curl bags of concrete when i didnt have dumbells.