• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Hypothetical Biology question regarding Steroids

YSK

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Im in the process of creating and "artificial experiment". The hypothesis is "If i give the hormonal steroid thyroxicate(non existant hormone) to free range bison, it will increase their protein synthesis thus creating more muscle for meat."

Remember this is just a hypothetical scenario, im not actually gonna go out and inject steroids into bison.

My question how would the fake steroid help the bison grow meat in terms of protein synthesis. Also, how would i test for how much muscle the grew, take a caliper test to bison?

I know its kind of awkward asking a question like this here, but i thought there was no better place to ask about steroids except here.

A good answer is much appreciated. Thanks.

Ask a Dairy farmer

ForemanRules said:
Ask a Dairy farmer

bison is a buffalo... and he's talking meat not dairy.. :shrug:

But I dont think that it is going to work, you are saying like it should work like placebos work in men but they work because men think they are receiving the right medicine.

The real question is.. How would the bison be smart enough to know he is taking a hormone and stupid enough to not know you are giving him the wrong medicine?

CRASHMAN said:
bison is a buffalo... and he's talking meat not dairy.. :shrug:
I would bet they use the same drugs on both......do you know about the drugs they give to each????? I didn't think so. ;)

Last edited:
http://www.goveg.com/lettuce_meat.asp

Antibiotics aren???t the only chemicals used to promote growth in farmed animals???the cattle industry also doses cows with hormones to make them grow larger and produce more milk than they would naturally. The use of hormones to promote growth in animals used for food has been banned for many years in Europe, and scientists have clearly shown that the hormones used in cows can cause disrupted development and cancer in humans.7 Despite these findings, farmers in America continue to dose cows with powerful hormones that can make humans sick.

ForemanRules said:
I would bet they use the same drugs on both......do you know about the drugs they give to each????? I didn't think so. ;)

Finaplix ;) and possibly EQ....what have we told you about thinking foreman :D

And since bison are endangered, bison meat is not sold and is probably against the law to endanger the animals life by injecting it with steroids.

IML Gear Cream!
Dude my hat is off to you i didnt have tiome to edit that post :lol:

Little Wing said:
http://www.goveg.com/lettuce_meat.asp

Antibiotics aren???t the only chemicals used to promote growth in farmed animals???the cattle industry also doses cows with hormones to make them grow larger and produce more milk than they would naturally. The use of hormones to promote growth in animals used for food has been banned for many years in Europe, and scientists have clearly shown that the hormones used in cows can cause disrupted development and cancer in humans.7 Despite these findings, farmers in America continue to dose cows with powerful hormones that can make humans sick.
No offense, but this is a terrible source of unbiased information. You can't post an objective summary about the use of hormones and antibiotics in beef cattle when the name of the website is "go vegetarian". I will admit that they do site a number of sources, but provide no information as to the half-life or dose of hormones or antibiotics given to beef cattle and how long before slaughter they are taken off the hormones or how long they stay on or how the hormones are administered and at what intervals. Of course a pro-vegetarian website will pepper any reader with reasons to be a vegetarian but they won't provide any information that provides even the slightest reason for skepticism about their data.

They say that plants don't contain hormones, but they fail to mention that even organically grown crops can contain an abundance of pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics. Genetically modified crops contain antibiotics used as genetic markers to allow the plant to produce anti-microbial proteins. I know this for a fact because my lab has analyzed soil samples from organic farms that are at a lower elevation than that of non-organic farms and there was a great deal of runoff from the non-organic farms, especially when the pesticides were administered in a liquid form. They can be absorbed into the soil and enter the water source of the organic farms, which enter the crops through watering. Animals can also eat non-organic crops, shit or piss on an organic farm and that becomes part of the soil that is the nutrient source for the supposedly organic crops. Once organic or non organic elements are introduced into soil, they do not evaporate off with moisture. Basically, data from that website should not be used in any sort of experimentation process.

If I were you YSK, I would use SciFinder Scholar to find scientific publications dealing with hormones and beef cattle, or use google to search through scholarly journals, http://scholar.google.com/ . These are the types of sources you need to look through if you're trying to formulate a hypothesis for an objective experiment.

The thing is that people who do eat free range bison meat want the meat to be pure so I think adding hormones will cut 99% of the customer base out.

CRASHMAN said:
Dude my hat is off to you i didnt have tiome to edit that post :lol:
You need to edit this one also. :laugh:

YSK said:
My question how would the fake steroid help the bison grow meat in terms of protein synthesis. Also, how would i test for how much muscle the grew, take a caliper test to bison?

I know its kind of awkward asking a question like this here, but i thought there was no better place to ask about steroids except here.

A good answer is much appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/1467-8276.00100/abs/

Here's the abstract of a paper that compares the consumer demand for beef from cattle not administered growth hormones in the United States, France, Germany and the UK.

This is probably along the lines of what you're looking for...(from PubMed, another great source)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2670867&dopt=Citation

It's an abstract from a publication that deals with "Endocrine and metabolic changes during altered growth rates in beef cattle."

If some of the publications that you want to use require a subscription to view the entire paper and it's data, PM me. My lab might have a subscription. Just keep looking through publications and you'll find what you need.

gococksDJS said:
No offense, but this is a terrible source of unbiased information. You can't post an objective summary about the use of hormones and antibiotics in beef cattle when the name of the website is "go vegetarian". I will admit that they do site a number of sources, but provide no information as to the half-life or dose of hormones or antibiotics given to beef cattle and how long before slaughter they are taken off the hormones or how long they stay on or how the hormones are administered and at what intervals. Of course a pro-vegetarian website will pepper any reader with reasons to be a vegetarian but they won't provide any information that provides even the slightest reason for skepticism about their data.

They say that plants don't contain hormones, but they fail to mention that even organically grown crops can contain an abundance of pesticides, herbicides and antibiotics. Genetically modified crops contain antibiotics used as genetic markers to allow the plant to produce anti-microbial proteins. I know this for a fact because my lab has analyzed soil samples from organic farms that are at a lower elevation than that of non-organic farms and there was a great deal of runoff from the non-organic farms, especially when the pesticides were administered in a liquid form. They can be absorbed into the soil and enter the water source of the organic farms, which enter the crops through watering. Animals can also eat non-organic crops, shit or piss on an organic farm and that becomes part of the soil that is the nutrient source for the supposedly organic crops. Once organic or non organic elements are introduced into soil, they do not evaporate off with moisture. Basically, data from that website should not be used in any sort of experimentation process.

If I were you YSK, I would use SciFinder Scholar to find scientific publications dealing with hormones and beef cattle, or use google to search through scholarly journals, http://scholar.google.com/ . These are the types of sources you need to look through if you're trying to formulate a hypothesis for an objective experiment.

i just think anyone asking what if about putting crap in a meat animal hasn't any idea what crap is already in our meat n remember hearing yrs ago about 5 yr old girls in puerto rico developing breasts because of if i remember correctly it was steroids in beef there. yea i could have found a better source of info than a vegetarian site but wasn't thinking. duh.

i would hope most people today are smart enough not to want people putting anything in meat or plant foods that could be unhealthy.

Cool. Thanks for the links go cocks.

Little Wing said:
i just think anyone asking what if about putting crap in a meat animal hasn't any idea what crap is already in our meat n remember hearing yrs ago about 5 yr old girls in puerto rico developing breasts because of if i remember correctly it was steroids in beef there. yea i could have found a better source of info than a vegetarian site but wasn't thinking. duh.

i would hope most people today are smart enough not to want people putting anything in meat or plant foods that could be unhealthy.
I understand what you are saying but I was pointing out that the statements posted on that website were obviously skewed by the fact that they were pro-vegetarian. If he is trying to formulate a scientific hypothesis, he needs objective sources that report all data regardless of whether or not it's something they support. I didn't mean to imply that the website was a bad source, it's just not appropriate to base a scientific hypothesis off of.

Most people don't realize the number of sources of contaminants that we put into our bodies on a regular basis. Beef and crops are not the only sources of dangerous elements such as heavy metals that accumulate in our bodies. That's why I find it funny when people say they are vegetarians or vegans solely because of what hormones or pesticides are introduced to cattle, poultry and other meat sources that they don't know about, when tap water is a major source of heavy metals and inorganic compounds that we put in our bodies every day. A few of the more common ones are sodium, potassium, chlorine, lithium and fluorine. Ammonia, nitrates(three oxygens bonded to a nitrogen) and methane are all found in tap water and are all components of Ammonium Nitrate and Nitromethane which is what the bomb in Oklahoma City was made of. Unless you drink nothing but deionized water, you are ingesting heavy metals, inorganic and organic compounds every time you drink tap water. There is basically no way to avoid every element or compound that is believed to cause cancer in certain situations. Hell, genetic predisposition causes cancer.

you absorb crap into your body simply taking a shower and most people don't know mercury is an ingredient in some comon childhood vaccines... it's a dangerous world.

gococksDJS said:
Hell, genetic predisposition causes cancer.
I think it is more environmental/inherited factors than genetics.

PirateFromHell said:
I think it is more environmental/inherited factors than genetics.
I didn't phrase that statement very well. I was just saying that humans are at risk of developing numerous forms of cancer simply by being born. From the minute our first DNA strand is transcribed, we are at risk of developing cancer.

CRASHMAN said:
Finaplix ;) and possibly EQ....what have we told you about thinking foreman :D

And since bison are endangered, bison meat is not sold and is probably against the law to endanger the animals life by injecting it with steroids.

Wrong! Bison are not endangered.There are some farms that raise them like cows and sell them for meat.Also in Yellowstone National Park whenever a bison leaves the park they kill it.

vette1derek said:
Wrong! Bison are not endangered.There are some farms that raise them like cows and sell them for meat.Also in Yellowstone National Park whenever a bison leaves the park they kill it.

:banned:

Back