Working @ GNC part time?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Working @ GNC part time?

Sadly enough I knew this was going to happen... but anyways... does anyone here currently work @ GNC part-time? I was wondering how the pay is and what are some good points about working there. I figure hell, I dont shop at GNC but I hate my current job, I love the supplement and bodybuilding world, I like to help people make lifechanging decisions on losing weight and what supplements work and things like that so why not work there and check it out? The only problem is, I HATE BSing people and I know that they make their money on commission. I would definitely be the GNC employee that steers people in the right direction so I probably would get shafted as far as pay goes but hell I think it would be pretty chill to work there... any input?

OH YEAH... and before I forget... I also applied to Vitamin Shoppe... if somebody works there please give me some more input on that job but if its commission based as well, im going to stick with GNC because the GNC is in a very busy mall and Vitamin Shoppe is kind of by itself as a stand alone store on the side of the road.... thanks all
    Who needs OTC supplements other than Vitamins when theres so much god damned FOOD!?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Rep Points

Get to know your sales reps, in time if you build a good relationship with them you can jump ship to one of their companies and make some real money.
    I highly recommend all IronMagLabs supplements!
    www.ironmaglabs.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

GNC is some overpriced bullshit in my opinion. Vitamin Shoppe... now that's the way to go.

Of course this doesn't matter since you are only working there. A job is a job, who gives a shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules
    Get to know your sales reps, in time if you build a good relationship with them you can jump ship to one of their companies and make some real money.
    what do you mean jump ship to one of their companies?

EDIT: im a moron... i just realized what you meant
    Who needs OTC supplements other than Vitamins when theres so much god damned FOOD!?!?!

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I wouldn't work at GNC for any amount of money.

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Rep Points

I don't think there is anything wrong with working there.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Robert DiMaggio
    I don't think there is anything wrong with working there.
    I agree. I dont shop their either, but like said, why not work there.

Back from the dead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

haha, I never told anyone this because of the hatred for GNC and I would chime in with the "Fuck GNC" comments also, but I worked there for 2 years. Their shit is way overpriced, and most of their sales reps don't know a lot about the products but look at it from their point of view. You can make a shitload of money at GNC if you know how to bullshit people. When I worked there, I knew what products weren't shitty and which ones were way overpriced, but GNC is offering me 30cents for each tub of protein A that I sell, and $3.50 for each tub of protein B I sell, so I pushed all the stuff that had high commission rates. They mail out a list each month telling the employess what products have the highest commission rates, and that's what I based my sales on. It's shitty to say that, and I know it was shitty to do, but anyone who says they don't mind shaving $5 an hour off their paycheck simply because they want to be honest is totally full of bullshit.

90% of the people who came into my store were totally clueless as well as filthy rich, so I milked the shit out of them, telling them everything they wanted to hear, and after about 6-10 minutes of talking to them, I'd make anywhere from $3-$10 in commission off of the products they purchased on top of my hourly wage. I was paid $6 an hour, but I made, on average, $10-$12, but during gold card week, you can easily average anywhere from $15-$25 an hour, but it's all about having good people skills, being able to read people and tell them exactly what they want to hear. If you sit in the corner picking your nose, or tell every customer that Muscletech is overpriced as fuck, you won't make any money because Muscletech offers the highest commission rates without a doubt, and I refused to pay for anything they sold, but I pushed the fuck out of their products because I made a lot of money off them, and every 6 months or so they'd send all the employees in my store a gym bag with 4 boxes of protein bars, a 2lb. tub of protein powder and 210 caps of Hydroxycut, all because I knew how to sell. You can't beat that.

But the best part, without a doubt, is if you get a cool manager, they let you keep all the returns and recalls, so after about a year of working there, your house looks like a GNC store. I without a doubt agree with everyone that their shit is overpriced, and people say their sales staff don't know shit (a good number of them dont), but we weren't trained on what products did what and at the best price, we were told "Sell a bottle of this and we give you 20 cents, sell a bottle of that and we give you $5" so naturally we wanted more money. I was one of about 3 other employees I knew from my area (from time to time we would rotate shifts at stores depending on what was selling) that knew what all that stuff in there did, and I knew exactly what was complete crap, like that On-Cycle, Off-Cycle bullshit. That stuff is total crap, but you get $7 for selling ONE bottle.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to feed people bullshit, but you'll say "fuck that" to that idea real quick. During my first 2 weeks, I worked with a guy who I thought sucked because he pushed crappy products, and I was honest with my customers. Well my paycheck was for $150 and his for $260 and we worked the same number of hours. He made over $100 more than me simply because he didn't mind bullshitting people. I'm sure people will say this is a shitty way to do business, becuase it is, but anyone in my situation would have done the same thing. When you realize that you can easily double your pay rate, you'll stop caring. I've never made as much money in any other job than I did at GNC.

the unbanned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

some one read that ^ and tell me if its worth it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gococksDJS
    haha, I never told anyone this because of the hatred for GNC and I would chime in with the "Fuck GNC" comments also, but I worked there for 2 years. Their shit is way overpriced, and most of their sales reps don't know a lot about the products but look at it from their point of view. You can make a shitload of money at GNC if you know how to bullshit people. When I worked there, I knew what products weren't shitty and which ones were way overpriced, but GNC is offering me 30cents for each tub of protein A that I sell, and $3.50 for each tub of protein B I sell, so I pushed all the stuff that had high commission rates. They mail out a list each month telling the employess what products have the highest commission rates, and that's what I based my sales on. It's shitty to say that, and I know it was shitty to do, but anyone who says they don't mind shaving $5 an hour off their paycheck simply because they want to be honest is totally full of bullshit.

90% of the people who came into my store were totally clueless as well as filthy rich, so I milked the shit out of them, telling them everything they wanted to hear, and after about 6-10 minutes of talking to them, I'd make anywhere from $3-$10 in commission off of the products they purchased on top of my hourly wage. I was paid $6 an hour, but I made, on average, $10-$12, but during gold card week, you can easily average anywhere from $15-$25 an hour, but it's all about having good people skills, being able to read people and tell them exactly what they want to hear. If you sit in the corner picking your nose, or tell every customer that Muscletech is overpriced as fuck, you won't make any money because Muscletech offers the highest commission rates without a doubt, and I refused to pay for anything they sold, but I pushed the fuck out of their products because I made a lot of money off them, and every 6 months or so they'd send all the employees in my store a gym bag with 4 boxes of protein bars, a 2lb. tub of protein powder and 210 caps of Hydroxycut, all because I knew how to sell. You can't beat that.

But the best part, without a doubt, is if you get a cool manager, they let you keep all the returns and recalls, so after about a year of working there, your house looks like a GNC store. I without a doubt agree with everyone that their shit is overpriced, and people say their sales staff don't know shit (a good number of them dont), but we weren't trained on what products did what and at the best price, we were told "Sell a bottle of this and we give you 20 cents, sell a bottle of that and we give you $5" so naturally we wanted more money. I was one of about 3 other employees I knew from my area (from time to time we would rotate shifts at stores depending on what was selling) that knew what all that stuff in there did, and I knew exactly what was complete crap, like that On-Cycle, Off-Cycle bullshit. That stuff is total crap, but you get $7 for selling ONE bottle.

I hear what you're saying about not wanting to feed people bullshit, but you'll say "fuck that" to that idea real quick. During my first 2 weeks, I worked with a guy who I thought sucked because he pushed crappy products, and I was honest with my customers. Well my paycheck was for $150 and his for $260 and we worked the same number of hours. He made over $100 more than me simply because he didn't mind bullshitting people. I'm sure people will say this is a shitty way to do business, becuase it is, but anyone in my situation would have done the same thing. When you realize that you can easily double your pay rate, you'll stop caring. I've never made as much money in any other job than I did at GNC.

You bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules;

Men respect people who deserve respect, simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MyK
    some one read that ^ and tell me if its worth it
    Its worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForemanRules;

Men respect people who deserve respect, simple as that.

the unbanned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by god hand
    Its worth it.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gococksDJS

He sold his soul to the GNC devil.

Monochromatic Bunny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MyK
    WTF

pedal pedal pedal
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I have no problem with GNC employees. In the rare case where I actually have to go into one, just leave me the hell alone, salesperson, because I know more than you and I know exactly what I want.

It's a job though, and if you can milk stupid people out of their money, more power to ya. People should do their research before buying, and if they are too lazy to search the web for info, they deserve to get ripped off. Any moron who walks into a GNC knows the salespeople there work on commissions.

I always shop at The Vitamin Shoppe though, if I don't buy online.