• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

deadlift gripping

fufu

fiendish thingy
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
How much of a difference does it make from using a DOH grip to a mixed grip. How much more can you pull with a mixed grip rather than a DOH. So far I haven't ventured into the realm of mixed grips. I'm curious to how much of a difference it makes.

It can make a pretty big difference. I am just not a fan of mixed grip pulling anymore though. Although you can pull more weight, I find it being much more biomechanically sound to pull overhand or hook grip (which is how i always pull).

P-funk said:
It can make a pretty big difference. I am just not a fan of mixed grip pulling anymore though. Although you can pull more weight, I find it being much more biomechanically sound to pull overhand or hook grip (which is how i always pull).

I think I remember you posting something similar to this in a thread I read a while ago. Would you mind reiterating the info on it? I seem to remember it had something to do with the CNS.

fufu said:
I think I remember you posting something similar to this in a thread I read a while ago. Would you mind reiterating the info on it? I seem to remember it had something to do with the CNS.

Nothing to do with the CNS. There are two reasons why I don't like it:

1) The hand that is supinated (palm up) places a greater, more compromising strain on the bicep tendon.

2) the supinated arm is always externally rotated while the pronated arm is always internally rotated. This puts some strange pull on the muscles in the spine and it is much easier to torque your back or rotate a little bit (especially if you are tight) during your pull.

P-funk said:

Yeah, it makes somewhere around a 100lb difference for me. From what I gather, the hook grip is strongest of all though. I'll have to look into it, maybe work my way up...

I'm in the same boat. I've always used mixed grip but switched hands every set (pronated hand went to supinated next rep, etc.)

What is the hook grip? Both hands supinated?

And do you guys ever get alot of bruises in your shin area? I feel my form is pretty good, and I have to start w/ the bar real close to my shins etc. so im not using my back as much. more legs. Is this normal? If I start any farther away my back rounds like mad. Im currently starting w/ the bar about 3 -4 inches from my shins I think when I squat down to start eh motion.

J

IML Gear Cream!
Incognegro said:
I'm in the same boat. I've always used mixed grip but switched hands every set (pronated hand went to supinated next rep, etc.)

And do you guys ever get alot of bruises in your shin area? I feel my form is pretty good, and I have to start w/ the bar real close to my shins etc. so im not using my back as much. more legs. Is this normal? If I start any farther away my back rounds like mad. Im currently starting w/ the bar about 3 -4 inches from my shins I think when I squat down to start eh motion.

J

its good to rub your shins because that is the closest the bar can come to your hips meaning you are shortening the length from the fulcrum to the resistance thereby reducing the torque forces experienced by the muscles/bones/connective tissue of the lumbar spine.

Incognegro said:

J

my shins are wrecked.

yes, both bands pronated with the hook grip.

Last edited:
P-funk said:
my shins are wrecked.

yes, both bands supinated with the hook grip.

I thought both hands were pronated with a hook grip?

CowPimp said:
I thought both hands were pronated with a hook grip?

oh yea.....typo....It should be pronated hands.

Hook grip pulls my thumbs out of my sockets. Plus Im not a pussy so I can hold the big weights! :lol:

Mixed gives me 100 lbs more. I use pronated until I can't hold on anymore then switch to mixed.

Gonna try hook grip next week, all I've ever used is mixed.

Good so my shins being torn up is ok. well not but lol.

J

I've been working on DOH so I can switch back to mixed and hopefully add some easy pounds later on. DOH really helps improve grip strength (as noted above) and I feel that this will aid me in adding to my max deadlift significantly in the end. It's worked before.

Squaggleboggin said:
I've been working on DOH so I can switch back to mixed and hopefully add some easy pounds later on. DOH really helps improve grip strength (as noted above) and I feel that this will aid me in adding to my max deadlift significantly in the end. It's worked before.

Yeah, I want to stick to DOH over the majority of the time. Hopefully I can suprise myself if I try to pull with a mixed grip.

IML Gear Cream!
fufu said:
Yeah, I want to stick to DOH over the majority of the time. Hopefully I can suprise myself if I try to pull with a mixed grip.

That's what I'm planning on since I have a meet in October. Of course, I'll be switching to a mixed grip to get used to it again when it comes closer to the meet, but for now I'm hoping to at least partially eliminate grip as a weakness. That's the one thing that bugs me - I've always considered my grip to be one of my best assets, but it still prevents me from lifting more in the deadlift. Not a bad thing though I suppose.

Squaggleboggin said:
That's what I'm planning on since I have a meet in October. Of course, I'll be switching to a mixed grip to get used to it again when it comes closer to the meet, but for now I'm hoping to at least partially eliminate grip as a weakness. That's the one thing that bugs me - I've always considered my grip to be one of my best assets, but it still prevents me from lifting more in the deadlift. Not a bad thing though I suppose.

What is the name of the comp.? I know nothing of competetions, what lifts will you be doing there?

fufu said:
What is the name of the comp.? I know nothing of competetions, what lifts will you be doing there?

Honestly I don't even know any details. I'll have to ask WantItBad for the link to it because last time I asked we both forgot about it. It's a powerlifting competition, though, and involves the deadlift, bench and squat, as pretty much all powerlifting competitions do. If possible, I'll enter in just the deadlift; if not, I'll still do my best for the other lifts, but won't lose any sleep if I don't perform that well.

Squaggleboggin said:
Honestly I don't even know any details. I'll have to ask WantItBad for the link to it because last time I asked we both forgot about it. It's a powerlifting competition, though, and involves the deadlift, bench and squat, as pretty much all powerlifting competitions do. If possible, I'll enter in just the deadlift; if not, I'll still do my best for the other lifts, but won't lose any sleep if I don't perform that well.

sounds good.

Hook grip is where you crush your thumbs....right?....well not literally...but your thumb is inside your fingers than outside....is that right?

Gordo said:
Hook grip is where you crush your thumbs....right?....well not literally...but your thumb is inside your fingers than outside....is that right?

Yeah, you wrap your other four digits over your thumb.

Back