• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Is Strict Form ReSTRICTing Your Muscle Gains?

min0 lee

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I found this to be interesting, not all exercises I feel this way but like on upright rows, if I use perfect form I don't see the results as I would when I cheat some.

Is Strict Form ReSTRICTing Your Muscle Gains?

by Skip La Cour
What is your definition of ???form????

Think about that question for a moment. How you perceive the meaning of form can make the difference between mediocre gains over the years???and packing-on the most thick, rock-hard muscle possible in the shortest period of time.

Form means using technique during an exercise to effectively stimulate the muscle for growth. It does not mean rigid, deliberate exercise execution. Overloading the targeted muscle group stimulates maximum growth???not strict form.

Yes, I realize that the textbooks, personal trainers, and the ???know-it-alls??? in your gym always cram the importance of strict form down your throat.

But, what is your real goal? To train in a manner that everyone in your gym will accept? Or, train in a way that packs on muscle faster? Focus on what produces results???not just the methods that are supposed to get you those results.

Think about it. The safest, most conservative advice when it comes to training that anyone could give you would be to ???always use strict form.???

But I???m telling you that advice will not maximize your potential to build the most muscle in the shortest period of time.

Let???s say that you were a runner striving to be your very best and I was your doctor. You came to me complaining that your knees hurt when you ran. The safest, most-widely accepted recommendation I could give you would be to stop running for awhile, wouldn???t it?

How could I go wrong with that advice? I couldn???t. But would you be able to maximize your running potential in the shortest period of time? Who knows for sure? You aren???t even trying to get the most out of what ability you do have.

Have you ever noticed that some of the most successful, dedicated, and hardest working bodybuilders in the world use what some would call ???less-than-perfect??? form?

The best bodybuilders in the world have gone beyond conventional thinking and have discovered that overloading the targeted muscle group stimulates maximum growth???not strict form.

You have to find the right balance between heavy, challenging, muscle-taxing weight and using exercise execution and technique that???s good enough to hit the targeted muscle group. This may take some time and practice???but you won???t find that right balance until you make it your goal to do so.

I???m always striving for that perfect balance???and so should you. I???m never satisfied. I???m not satisfied if I???m lifting incredible weight, but am overly sloppy while doing so.

And, I???m certainly not satisfied if I???m handling lighter weight just because I used perfect, textbook form that everyone would approve of.

Again, form does not mean rigid, deliberate exercise execution. In fact, being too rigid while striving to lift heavier weight can overly restrict the body???s natural movement???and is more likely to cause injury than somewhat loose or more forgiving form.

Of course, you don???t want to hurt yourself using form that???s too sloppy or careless. But where???s that ???happy medium???? You???ll have to experiment to find it.

Constantly challenging yourself to lift heavier weight takes courage. But stepping up to the challenge of aggressively tackling heavier weight will help you pack-on the highest quality muscle in the shortest period of time.

Check yourself. Make sure that you aren???t rationalizing the fact that you???re not striving to train heavier because of fear.

It???s much easier to play it safe and overemphasize the importance of strict form so that you don???t have to face the fear that every one of us face every time we step in the gym.

Is strict form ReSTRICTing your muscle gains? Focus on what produces results and find the right balance between heavy, challenging, muscle-taxing weight and using exercise execution and technique that???s good enough to hit the targeted muscle group

Do you guys feel this way also.

Have you ever noticed that some of the most successful, dedicated, and hardest working bodybuilders in the world use what some would call ???less-than-perfect??? form?

So if Barry Sanders uses sloppy form and I train like him I will rush 2053 yards in one season with a shitty line??

Not sloppy like in the retarded newbie way, but not perfect.

min0 lee said:
Not sloppy like in the retarded newbie way, but not perfect.
It is all genetics baby :thumb:

I think I agree with this article somewhat, especially finding the balance part. For example, if you are using a heavy ass weight and start cheating around rep 4 out of 8, that is cheating too much. But if you can bang out 7 with great form, and start cheating slightly to get the last one, or even one extra one, I think that can extra exertion of the muscle can be a positive thing sometimes.

I notice this big time on traps, if I cheat they grow like crazy if I use proper form they stagnate.
This is only for certain exercises that I feel this way.

To me cheating on the last few reps is fine in moderation- but that's just my dodgy opinion and I have no idea what i'm talking about generally. I cannot see the difference between a negative or an assisted lift or a rack lockout or whatever type of beyond failure/overloading training you want to attempt and a cheat lift.

They all pretty much take you to a weight you would not normally be able to handle - which cannot be a bad thing once in a while can it?

I see his point, but what a crappy article in my opinion. Most people use garbage form on virtually every exercise they perform as it is. There is no need to point out that people are being too strict with their form. I don't think I've ever seen a single person who is...

CowPimp said:
I see his point, but what a crappy article in my opinion. Most people use garbage form on virtually every exercise they perform as it is. There is no need to point out that people are being too strict with their form. I don't think I've ever seen a single person who is...

I agree. What gym does he train at where the people us good form? :hmmm:

IML Gear Cream!
The primary motivation for using better form is injury prevention in most cases. Once you get sloppy you increase the risk of injury.

Competitive lifters must practice good form because without it they will be DQ'd. But many training techniques use cheating principles as a way to blast past sticking points or to overload train. However, there is still a practical limit to how much you should cheat for results versus how much will produce injury. Adding 20-30 lbs to a lift to go beyond your observed threshold is much different than piling on an extra 80-100 lbs.

Take for instance overloading on a benchpress. Adding 20-30 lbs more than your observed max with proper form for some overload reps requiring your partner to pull you through sticking points with a few fingers is not necessarily that risky. But adding so much extra that your partner is doing his rowing for his lats while you bench with rotten form is another thing entirely. I've seen people overload so much that their spotters are turning red to help the bar along while they squirm under the bar like a worm thrown into a fire pit. Just stupid.

I agree with the article. Providing you *know* proper form, I think it's ok to conciously let the form slip a little in order to feel the heavier weights and make progress to lifting heavier.

In my case I couldn't seem to make any progress past a certain point with barbell curls. Now I let my form slip a little on the last few sets/reps just to get a feel for heavier weights, and guess what? I'm making faster gains now than ever before!

I think in moderation some slip in form is ok, as long as you aren't kidding yourself totally just to lift heavier, or risking injury with *really* sloppy form.

Back